Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Upshift Graphics kit

Windblown

Not a full review as I haven't torture tested them yet but I'm pleased with the Graphics kit I got from upshift. 

Fast delivery and good communication.

Kit arrived well packaged. They carefully taped every single piece of the kit to down in layers onto a carboard backer. Took me awhile just to unbox it. 

Kit contained a bunch of various manufacturer stickers that can be added to the bike if desired. 

Kit came with some Upshift stickers and a personalized note thanking me for my business. That's a nice personal touch!

The 3M HD vinyl used looks like it will last a long time and was well cut. 

Note: No directions included in the kit but they have them online. I highly recommend NOT using the wet method. I tried it, found it to be a PITA.  I had much better luck taking my time and using the dry method. 

They have several styles to chose from. I went for the muted Grey/White Retro look. Loud and flashy says fast, and I'm not. 🙂 

Onto the photos.

Photo of a few of the decals and the note included with the shipment.

kit.jpg.ede3752d4a23795b8a1038586e236fb6.jpg

The reason I'm applying decals - The stock decals were not holding up well. They are thinner than paper and sort of remind me of Saran Wrap. They needed to go.

old.jpg.8a5bf45cadac1fdae1ba29528be2fd80.jpg

Last look at the bike with the original graphics.

original.jpg.08ee2aac94e4697899d9480c5a21a8a3.jpg

Stripped and ready. I actually like the de-decaled look. But the other reason I went with a heavy Vinyl is to hopefully keep the pieces attached to the bike when the brittle plastic cracks. 

stripped.jpg.61e46cda9c353bfda051b2c3a309a7c8.jpg

And done (Except the front fender/fork guards (Haven't decided it I will apply the sticker to them or not).

557102607_newnew.jpg.02bb21b3573319f4067bd10f9652fba7.jpg

The grey looks a bit more blue in the photo than it is in real life. Didn't notice till just now and too lazy to go back and color correct.

Anyways - I like it. And if these get too nasty I'll do it again.

Their graphics kits for the T700 here - https://upshiftonline.com/collections/store-graphics-kits/yamaha?sort_by=manual

Edited by Windblown
  • Like 5

That is a sweet looking kit!

Question: How complex was the dry install? getting the alignment straight and getting the material to turn/bend over the various angles of curves?

Also, that is a nice high end can, is that a custom bend pipe?

Meet BigBlu - 2022 Tenere 700 | Yamaha OEM chain guide | Yamaha OEM crash guard | Givi Rear luggage rack | Givi BN42 top box | Black Widow 300mm Hexagonal exhaust | Acerbis High Fender | Windscreen risers | ProTaper Evo low handlebar | Oxford Integrated heated grips | Upshift Retro Speedblock Blue graphic kit | QuadLock wireless charger | BarkBuster Storm Handguards | Mitas E07+ rear tyre | Shinko E804 front tyre | MotoMount Radar screamer & LED visual alert | Custom half tail tidy kit |

17 minutes ago, motonap said:

That is a sweet looking kit!

Question: How complex was the dry install? getting the alignment straight and getting the material to turn/bend over the various angles of curves?

Also, that is a nice high end can, is that a custom bend pipe?

Thanks!  I found the dry install easier. Do an initial visual line up. Then remove a strip of the backing as shown in a bunch of Youtube videos. Line up the piece again. Press down the exposed adhesive portion then peel off the backing on one side and while holding the vinyl away from the bike press it into place slowly. If you do get something off a bit and catch it before the piece is all the way on you can carefully lift it to reposition slightly. What I love about doing it dry is when you get a piece right you're done! No having to mass with it for 20 minutes trying to get it to stick. And then having to come back later because it started to lift again. 

Oh, and start on the lowest stickers and work your up (generally). That was you seems between pieces will be facing down, not up.

Exhaust is a Mivv high can set-up. I pulled off the Mivv sticker while I had the heat gun out.

Edited by Windblown
  • Like 1

Yes, another hearty thumbs up for the Upshift team!  Brandon and company do a great job with customer service, they're a small shop outside of Boise, ID.

The "decals" are much thicker and sturdier than I imagined.  Its about 1.5mm thick, almost like the fruit rollups we ate as kids.

I actually preferred the wet application method, especially for the really big sheets.  It would have been really hard to fine tune the positioning otherwise.  Though I think the water may have weakened the adhesive minorly at the edges.

I spent the better part of a week, doing a bunch of 2-3 hour sessions.  One key bit of advice was to start on the lowest sections first, then apply the upper ones on top to overlap slightly, just like doing shingles on a roof.  There's no way to lay them down to get butt ends to meet perfectly and smoothly.

The tank was particularly challenging as it's got multiple curves.

But totally worth it in the end.  Love how it changes the look of the bike entirely.

IMG_2388.JPEG.ba2895c4168bf8eaa90444629985ca10.jpg

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Endopotential said:

Yes, another hearty thumbs up for the Upshift team!  Brandon and company do a great job with customer service, they're a small shop outside of Boise, ID.

The "decals" are much thicker and sturdier than I imagined.  Its about 1.5mm thick, almost like the fruit rollups we ate as kids.

I actually preferred the wet application method, especially for the really big sheets.  It would have been really hard to fine tune the positioning otherwise.  Though I think the water may have weakened the adhesive minorly at the edges.

I spent the better part of a week, doing a bunch of 2-3 hour sessions.  One key bit of advice was to start on the lowest sections first, then apply the upper ones on top to overlap slightly, just like doing shingles on a roof.  There's no way to lay them down to get butt ends to meet perfectly and smoothly.

The tank was particularly challenging as it's got multiple curves.

But totally worth it in the end.  Love how it changes the look of the bike entirely.

IMG_2388.JPEG.ba2895c4168bf8eaa90444629985ca10.jpg

You have FAR more patience than me.  Kit came in a bit after Noon today and I was taking the final photo about 4.5 hours later. 

I'll never be a Picasso.  😞

• Haha 1

Damn you're fast!   Like Jackson Pollock splashing paint on the ground fast!

I did take most of my fairing panels off though in the process.  After I got the bike, I did turn signals, USB port, bobblehead windshield etc so that all bled into overall time to complete the decals.

I also played around with a heat gun to soften up the pieces.  Worst section was that side gas tank piece where my RedBull sticker is located.  Lots of loose corners to wrap down there.

One minor quibble - testament that the decals are doing a good job of being dirt proof - I had trouble getting my rubber tankpads to adhere on top of the decals.

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

Got my kit 3 months ago and went with the dry install method, took me about 4 odd hours with a blow dryer, burnt fingers and turned out good. Only issue was the sticky glue residue which created a mess on the white, but nothing that some turp and iso alcohol cleaned out easy.

Only issue now is that I see the kit come lose at complex bends and its been days of dust and water, so they aren't going to stick back again. I guess there was a reason why Upshift had them on sale - old stock clearing. So I am not complaining about it.

IMG_5746.JPG.ba5e76f3dd67e2cf3df1cc2468cebbc5.JPGIMG_5745.JPG.344d823ee7f421397a09eac1b3c331a4.JPG

Meet BigBlu - 2022 Tenere 700 | Yamaha OEM chain guide | Yamaha OEM crash guard | Givi Rear luggage rack | Givi BN42 top box | Black Widow 300mm Hexagonal exhaust | Acerbis High Fender | Windscreen risers | ProTaper Evo low handlebar | Oxford Integrated heated grips | Upshift Retro Speedblock Blue graphic kit | QuadLock wireless charger | BarkBuster Storm Handguards | Mitas E07+ rear tyre | Shinko E804 front tyre | MotoMount Radar screamer & LED visual alert | Custom half tail tidy kit |