Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

rear rack & tail tidy

manny

B & B offroad a Ballarat based Australian alloy engineering company has for years been manufacturing aftermarket components for bikes & buggies. I have used their bash plates & radiator guards on my last 4 bikes, xr600, xr650 drz400 & ktm 690, they have had my T7 for a the last couple of weeks to do development work, here is the prototype rack & tail tidy, they have done a bash plate as well that also looks awesome. I will post photos of bash plate when I pick up bike  

IMG_2810.JPG

IMG_2813.JPG

IMG_2816.JPG

• Like 6

That looks great! The only thing you don’t get with that is grab handles.

Do you know how much they are asking?

That looks awesome and the C of G is much closer to the rider, rather than than a huge top box way our back. Looks brilliantly engineered.

• Like 1

Nice work! Does it fit with pannier racks? 

"Eternally, unavoidably, eventually, all paths will lead to the cemetery." Sentenced

1.can they put larger slots on the side to act as grab handle

2.predilled at right spots to accept Givi Monokey bracketry

good design

1. brings rear rack load closer to center?

2.Givi case with backrest will be close enough to act as a backrest

15 hours ago, DWEL700 said:

Thank you.

The one pictured above  is really our first prototype, we have tweaked it a bit in the last few days to provide a simple handle in between the side mount points. I was  not sure if there would be enough finger room to actually manhandle the bike a bit until I got one fitted. 

13 hours ago, Totti said:

Nice work! Does it fit with pannier racks? 

I have only seen some pics from others but looks like it will fit with a few, wont know for sure till we check a few.

13 hours ago, vilageidgit62 said:

1.can they put larger slots on the side to act as grab handle

2.predilled at right spots to accept Givi Monokey bracketry

good design

1. brings rear rack load closer to center?

2.Givi case with backrest will be close enough to act as a backrest

1 . See above.

2 . yes sir it is. it is also pre drilled  for the Roto Pax system, we have been doing this on all our racks for a good while now .

15 hours ago, DWEL700 said:

Not sure just yet but will be under $300 AUD  so about 10 cents US.😉

• Thanks 1

That's great, could you post a pic of the one with the grab handles?

$300 AUD is great, hopefully shipping into Canada won't break the deal.

• Like 3

On 1/28/2020 at 2:19 AM, DWEL700 said:

That's great, could you post a pic of the one with the grab handles?

$300 AUD is great, hopefully shipping into Canada won't break the deal.

Pics soon.

Not sure on shipping, should be ok its only 2 .1 kg  plus a box.

• Like 1

I am only guessing but id say they will be at least a couple of weeks away from production. for the tail tidy, pillion seat rack & bash plate. they have had my t7 for 3 weeks to do prototypes on & I am picking it up tomorrow. I will post some more photos over the weekend. to contact see there website B & B offroad

3 weeks without your new toy, thanks for being the donnor. Ill keep an eye on B&B website definitely going to want one of those.

wait until you see the bash plate, its better looking than any of the overseas stuff. how do you find the t7 compared to the big 1200 tenere ?

Road the old girl a couple of days ago, kinda like putting on an old glove, still love it. Had to spend a fair bit in the beginning to get her to go right.

Looks like the same for the T7.  Got some nice bits on order to get it breathing/ fueling. Suspension I think on the 7 is pretty good for a stock

bike. Wont have to do anything much there for a while. Spent a lot on the 12's.

Any how feel pretty lucky to have the two to muck about with.

• Like 1

Got the T7 back today & put the bark busters on then took it for a quick fang in 39 degree c heat still fun but. Here are some more photos showing the bash plate & rack with room to get your handIMG_2851.thumb.JPG.225976fa6977bf797122a53a66c99f5a.JPGIMG_2854.thumb.JPG.6d43c2e6edbf4df1a9b90660be276b04.JPG underneath

• Like 1

• Moderators
9 hours ago, manny said:

Got the T7 back today & put the bark busters on then took it for a quick fang in 39 degree c heat still fun but. Here are some more photos showing the bash plate & rack with room to get your handIMG_2851.thumb.JPG.225976fa6977bf797122a53a66c99f5a.JPGIMG_2854.thumb.JPG.6d43c2e6edbf4df1a9b90660be276b04.JPG underneath

Nice looking unit - looks sharp! I wonder how it gets along the lower crash bars from a few manufacturers. 

Riding footage: www.instagram.com/beefmoto

Message me if you are close - let's go riding!

My preference would be something like this with upper and lower side tubes one above the other and no higher than the seat, not stuck out the side making it difficult to swing a leg over it (reference to the Yamaha rack). From this image you can see where the upper and lower tubes might be with the upper tube following the line forward of the existing tube as shown, and the lower tube closer to the mounting point and eventually bending up to meet the higher tube. The tubes should be placed to provide room to fit both saddle bag straps between the tubes (thinking Enduristan Blizzards) to help keep the saddle bags from moving around.

The plate on the rear should have the Rotopax mounting holes and be shorter than the one shown, extending beyond the tail light and the sides of the T7 tail at least 30mm to make fitting straps easier.

It would also be nice to have mounts for the indicators such that the indicators sit under the rack and protected from a fall.

My issue with the design shown above is that i use more of the seat than is provided, and it sits higher than it should.

yamaha-rear-carry-rack-xt-250.jpg.1aff67749440e53885058924c35b2502.jpg

Edited by TimeMachine
  • Like 2

No doubt Gareth from B & B will read your comments, he has told me that he plans to do a rear rack so you can still carry a pillion, I also have the genuine Yamaha steel rack which I am happy with, great for my wife to hang onto & to manoeuvre bike around when your of it but it weighs a ton. I have made a flat 4mm alloy base that bolts onto it with a hoop that can take an old Australian gear sack bag

IMG_2554.JPG

• Like 1

Hey Manny, the fully loaded rack that sticks right out the back is not what I am looking for either. The Yamaha rack for example is too big, grab handles too wide and too bloody heavy for an off-road bike. 

The trick here is to simply put a duffle bag or gear sack half on the rack and half on the seat. Not only does this reduce the loading on the rack but also keeps the weight low and forward. As noted in my previous post, the rack should extend no further back than 30mm beyond the tail (tail light, not the number plate holder)  with just enough room to feed /attach a strap around the back of the rack without struggling to squeeze it between tail light and rack.

Also note in your photo that Yamaha have two tubes, one at the height of the mounting points and one higher up. The idea is good but the gap between upper and lower tubes needs only to have enough room vertically to grab it with your hand, perhaps 30mm gap, and can still be a grab handle for smaller pillions. The lengthwise gap might need to be a bit longer (extending forward of the front mount?) to fit the soft pannier straps. 

I really think you guys are best placed to produce this rack because it is so close to what you already build. I am also in Melbourne so could bring the bike, Enduristan panniers, rally seat etc to help get the dimensions right if you need them. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TimeMachine said:

Hey Manny, the fully loaded rack that sticks right out the back is not what I am looking for either. The Yamaha rack for example is too big, grab handles too wide and too bloody heavy for an off-road bike. 

The trick here is to simply put a duffle bag or gear sack half on the rack and half on the seat. Not only does this reduce the loading on the rack but also keeps the weight low and forward. As noted in my previous post, the rack should extend no further back than 30mm beyond the tail (tail light, not the number plate holder)  with just enough room to feed /attach a strap around the back of the rack without struggling to squeeze it between tail light and rack.

Also note in your photo that Yamaha have two tubes, one at the height of the mounting points and one higher up. The idea is good but the gap between upper and lower tubes needs only to have enough room vertically to grab it with your hand, perhaps 30mm gap, and can still be a grab handle for smaller pillions. The lengthwise gap might need to be a bit longer (extending forward of the front mount?) to fit the soft pannier straps. 

I really think you guys are best placed to produce this rack because it is so close to what you already build. I am also in Melbourne so could bring the bike, Enduristan panniers, rally seat etc to help get the dimensions right if you need them. 

Gareth has got a T7 on order for himself, to ride  do development on. He is on holiday for a week & I will tell him when he gets back of your requests

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Manny, I’ve had B&B on my last 3 bikes and their workmanship is second to none as far as I’m concerned. That makes a huge difference to the back of the bike. I am waiting for a set of pannier racks from Outback Motortek and that rear rack looks like they might just be compatible. Thanks mate for firstly letting them use your bike and for posting the finish product. I like it.

• Like 1