Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Battle of the tire inflators

Windblown

Over time I've collected a few different way to inflate a tire in the field. Each seemingly with advantages and disadvantages. Out of curiosity I pitted them against each other today in an impromptu test using a tubeless  150/70-18 rear tire as my test bed.

20230221_140341.jpg.74213c5f8a452666505c6eae6ef29f56.jpg

The players:

Dynaplug 12v mini inflator

AntiGravity Mico inflator

Briskmore Co2 valve w/3- 25g cartridges

Pro Bike Tool Hand pump

Each test began by completely removing the valve core and letting all the pressure out before starting test.

20230221_141154.jpg.63e2d0fa06ca6583c15dac992b3872bb.jpg

Briskmore Co2 - 3 cartridges brought the tire pressure up to 20lbs. I let each cartridge sit for about 60 seconds before swapping to the next one. Had I given it some more time to let the cartridges warm I might have gotten a bit more pressure they freeze up quickly if you are dumping their contents fast. 

20230221_142150.jpg.df4d2ec8f8f4450b50bc422fa570b1cf.jpg

Dunaplug. Ran for 5 minutes. At end of that time tire measured 22PSI on my tire guage, 23psi on the pumps guage.

20230221_143028.jpg.c15dd9398bd8f91721b26cc566c83f85.jpg

AntiGravity after 5 minutes got to 20 PSI on my tire gauge and inflators gauge read about 23psi.

20230221_143910.jpg.644c9597b2e71996f6e7bc12f8ba7708.jpg

Extended - 

20230221_143805.jpg.df4bd2b62f9fe54c695cd854d2467f64.jpg

Last and most dreaded... the Hand pump. I really wanted to see what I could manage in 5 minutes of furious pumping. I believe I averaged 120 pumps a minute. Pump housing got pretty toasty by the end. It was a loooonnnng 5 minutes waiting for the timer to ring. Whew. Got up to 19psi though! That was more than I expected but It also wore me out... So is there a winner? I'm not sure there is.

I ran 3 25g cartridges because thats what I normally carry. More cartridges=more pressure, but its a one shot deal. Advantage is ease of use, no power requirement, no motors to fail.

The Dynoplug hit the highest pressure by a bit but it's also has the largest footprint and space is always at a premium on a bike.  I'd say it probably would increase its lead as the pressure climbed.

ANTIGravity. Nice compact kit. I've used it many times. Sounds like it might be getting on its last legs but still runs!

Hand pump. No power requirement, no limit in theory how many uses you get. Compact. But oh so tiring... I'd have truly hated to try to get the tire up to 30psi.

So which will I pack?  I'll probably continue to bring the AntiGravity. It will be a toss up between the Co2 and handpump in case the powered pump dies. 

If I were packing for minimum bulk and weight the handpump is the clear winner though.

Have you got a favorite that you pack along? What is it and what do you like about it? Always looking for a better mouse trap. 🙂

Edited by Windblown
  • Like 5

That's a great post, and would make for an awesome YouTube video!

I debated the same myself.  Coming from a bicycle background, I was tempted to just carry a hand pump.  But hearing from your experience, no way I'd want to go through that much torture.  Especially if I ever got into any scenario where I had to find a hidden leak.  It'd be exhausting to keep pumping with both hands while trying to find a pinhole at the same time.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Endopotential said:

That's a great post, and would make for an awesome YouTube video!

I debated the same myself.  Coming from a bicycle background, I was tempted to just carry a hand pump.  But hearing from your experience, no way I'd want to go through that much torture.  Especially if I ever got into any scenario where I had to find a hidden leak.  It'd be exhausting to keep pumping with both hands while trying to find a pinhole at the same time.

Thanks. I thought about doing a video, especially since I've been seriously neglecting my youtube channel. But... I really just wanted something others might find useful or interesting to share here as a way of giving back to the forum a bit and well.... still struggling a little with the motivation to start back up on videos.  I'm working my way in that direction  though!  LOL.

Agree 100% about finding a slow leak after pumping madly for 10 minutes with the hand pump. That might send me over the edge! 

• Like 1

This is the 12v compressor I carry for trail repair on my ADV bikes. 

422693105_41QCqdPiGL._AC_.jpg.9fbf235bee74d7fbd6db137c8a920ebe.jpg

I've got a hand pump on my list to acquire as a backup and for the high-pressure side of a Tubliss system.

61mFSZOI2gL._AC_SL1500_.jpg.6732422ae692e4eee7219cdb7e8176d4.jpg

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Toymaster said:

This is the 12v compressor I carry for trail repair on my ADV bikes. 

422693105_41QCqdPiGL._AC_.jpg.9fbf235bee74d7fbd6db137c8a920ebe.jpg

I've got a hand pump on my list to acquire as a backup and for the high-pressure side of a Tubliss system.

61mFSZOI2gL._AC_SL1500_.jpg.6732422ae692e4eee7219cdb7e8176d4.jpg

I have the same compressor.

I had the CyclePump for a while because it was supposed to be reliable and comes with a lifetime warranty. It left us stranded a few months ago when we had a flat and wouldn't build up any pressure. The company said it was probably a clog (which wasn't covered under warranty) and would cost $30 plus shipping to repair, if that was the problem. At a premium ($150) for it, I was pretty disappointed. It's also big and the case is riveted, so no easy self-service.

I got the MotoPumps Air Shot instead and so far like it, but I've only had it for 6 months or so. $69 if you order through the link on advrider. Can't say how long it takes to inflate, but it seemed reasonable. Small company owned by an avid rider who's active in the community, so I don't mind paying a few extra bucks.

• Like 1

advgoats.com

+1 on the MotoPumps Air Shot 2.0 -- well thought out, made in USA product!

@WindblownI'd be glad to air down my stock wheel with a 15o/70-18 TCK80 if you think that would be comparable, but here is an article that compared a few inflators including the MotoPumps on a Motoz Tractionator 150/70-18: 

Nevada-Flat-Feature.jpg

A flat motorcycle tire can stop a journey in its tracks. Having experienced plenty of them, I ride prepared for a roadside repair. Besides a spare tube, patch kit, and tire tools, my kit includes two items for inflating tires. One is...

Edited by Hollybrook
  • Like 3

Thanks for the input and suggestions!  Some of those pumps are monsters compared to what I've run previously.  10-11 amps! That out to move some air for sure.  I'd have to double check my SAE plug wiring. Pretty sure I'm set for 15amps on one of my bikes but not sure off the top of my head on a couple others.  

I tried to get a Motopumps a few years ago before leaving on one of my trips. They were back-ordered at the time and that's when I picked up the AntiGravity pump.  That little pump has been a champ for it's size but it's seen better days.  I ran across an SUV while riding  on some pretty rugged two-track with a completely flat 31" truck tire a while back. Found the hole and got it plugged but it took a LONG time for the little pump to get enough pressure in that big tire to send them on there way and I think it put a hurting on it. Truck tires weren't on the design criteria I don't think. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BikeBrother said:

I use already many years this footpump. Reliable, easy to use and compact.

Buy Bikers Dream BIKERS DREAM FOOT PUMP ANALOGUE PRESSURE GAUGE at Louis Moto for a great price. Top brands ✓ Great selection...

Interesting unit. I like the idea of not having to depend on a small electric motor that gets beat and tossed around.  Hard to tell just how packable it would be from a photo.  Hmmm...

I buy and carry a generic 12 volt air pump meant to be carried in your automobile . I remove the pump from its case and if it has a fan on it I cut it off . Replace the cigarette lighter plug with a sae end . Put a tie wrap loop on pump to suspend it while running .Have aired up several tire after repairing the puncture with these pumps . 

• Like 1

Nice!  I have the AntiGravity too. Well, 3 of them. Haven’t had to use one yet but I’ve tested just to make sure they work. I’ve noticed the newer ones come with a cord that plugs directly into the unit and to a battery tender cord. That’s pretty cool because the older ones didn’t and I had to splice my own cable. 

Just to toss out a little info, the AntiGravity and probably most the others too will pull like 6 amps or more. So don’t go plugging one into the factory aux outlet @ 2 amps. 

2 hours ago, DuncMan said:

I have the Motopressor. Be careful grit doesn't get into the open gears.

I also have the BestRest pump. It is housed in a metal box that keeps the majority of crap out.

I am not sure which I prefer. They both work well.

• Like 1

Alcohol! No good story starts with a salad.

Have you used it in anger? 

I did 2 tyres ( neither mine ) when I did the last Bridge to Bridge ( RideAdv organised ride ) and I had to do my rear a couple of weeks ago.

It was before breakfast so I wasn't in any mood for things to go wrong.

All 3 occasions the Motopressor worked faultlessly.

• Like 1

Alcohol! No good story starts with a salad.

Motopressor works fine. Used it on the trails without any problems.

What's not on it weighs nothing and doesn't take up space.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Windblown said:

Interesting unit. I like the idea of not having to depend on a small electric motor that gets beat and tossed around.  Hard to tell just how packable it would be from a photo.  Hmmm...

The height is 17 cm and weights about 500 grams and can be used til 12 bar. I got the digital version, only battery powered for reading the pressure. My friends on the track come to me for use, cos twice a 12 v inflator broke down due to vibrations, faulty plug. Thats why i dont want an electrical pump.

IMG_20230222_133541601.jpg

I have the same compressor as a couple of you.  I have lots of friends that ride motorcycles in their line of work.  They get flats very often.  3-5 times per month sometimes.  This is the same pump they are issued.  Very very durable with no reports of a failure.  

Portable Mini Air Compressor for Motorcycle/ATV https://a.co/d/6tDd8yu

• Like 1

I have been using a slime mini compressor for 10 years. Plugged directly into the battery with SAE connection.  Being a belt and suspenders type off roader, I also carry a dirt biking hand pump  (20 years old) as a back up but never need to use it.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...