Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

16t Sprocket - talk to me

roygilbo

On 3/1/2023 at 10:21 AM, Windblown said:

Yep. Bike starts to feel a bit busy at interstate speeds RPM wise. Larger front sprocket makes for better high speed cruising and also "widens" the range of each gear a bit. Most will find themselves tapping on the shifter slightly less often.

lol, get a HP pipe or the like and you'll appreciate those higher revs 😀  I quite enjoy the sound myself.  One thing I haven't done though is consciously thought of the vibration points.  It usually shows up in the mirrors (maybe that's why that guy over on the other thread removed his) I know on my sport bmw the mirrors go all mix-master at certain ranges though I haven't noticed this in the T7 yet.  Still, there must be a point in the revs where there is more vibrations?  If it was at my cruising speed a sprocket change would fix it hey.

6 hours ago, winddown said:

lol, get a HP pipe or the like and you'll appreciate those higher revs 😀  I quite enjoy the sound myself.  One thing I haven't done though is consciously thought of the vibration points.  It usually shows up in the mirrors (maybe that's why that guy over on the other thread removed his) I know on my sport bmw the mirrors go all mix-master at certain ranges though I haven't noticed this in the T7 yet.  Still, there must be a point in the revs where there is more vibrations?  If it was at my cruising speed a sprocket change would fix it hey.

I didn't say revs weren't fun and I do have a high pipe. 🙂

Long stretches of droning along at higher revs than needed at 80mph(130kph) isn't everyones idea of fun.   I wouldn't go 16t front simply because it would take away from the bike in slow technical terrain but it might be the perfect choice for some, all depends on how they use the bike. 

Edited by Windblown

A sprocket change isn't very difficult or lengthy.  One could change it depending on where they planned to ride. 

Since I have two wheelsets, I may use a 16T with my street wheels. 

Thinking about making this change now as well. I was riding some pretty hardcore stuff on this bike but I recently acquired a WR250R so I think for the Tenere I'm swapping the knobs off and the Trailmax Missions back on. Since the Tenere is going back to "regular" adv riding not to mention still being a daily, I think this will be a most welcome modification 😄

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Did anyone with a 16t front sprocket run into clearance issues with the little rubber gunk guard? Just left it off when reinstalling everything? Just curious, I went up a tooth on my WR250 and the sprocket cover didn't fit, was wondering if it was the same for the T7

2 hours ago, advsquid said:

Did anyone with a 16t front sprocket run into clearance issues with the little rubber gunk guard? Just left it off when reinstalling everything? Just curious, I went up a tooth on my WR250 and the sprocket cover didn't fit, was wondering if it was the same for the T7

No - the guard that stops the chain piling  through the lump if it should break pre sprocket? 

Edited by Lewie
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, advsquid said:

I had no issue mounting it, but It was a bit close for my liking so I ground it down a bit (+-2mm) to get the clearance back to normal.  

Edited by williestreet
  • Like 1

Just for reference my FZ7 uses 16/43 sprockets and T7 has the same internal gearing so there was no question about what a 16 tooth sprocket

would be like. Actually, the T7 in stock gearing was at the same rpm in 6th gear as my FZ7 was in fifth. When I need to change rear sprocket I will go to a 43 tooth.

• Like 2

I had a 16 fitted this week during annual service, and I like the change. For me and my 90% road riding, and most of that touring Europe, it is perfect, and apart from the slightly more relaxed 70/80 MPH cruising, the lower gears feel far better for road use.

• 3 weeks later...

It was an absolute Shet show trying to get a chain and sprockets from my local Yamaha dealer. Not sure how a Yamaha service center doesn't have wear items in stock (which was only half the problem) for a drivetrain that fits like 75% of the bikes Yamaha sells by volume but...whatever. Sprocket Center next time. Lesson learned. 

Anyway, wow. For the road at least, the 16t front seems to make each gear way more useful. 100% recommend for people who don't ride their T7 like it's secretly a WR250R. Which I was doing for a long time 😁. Will still be perfectly fine for all the offroading I'll be doing in the future too, since I actually did buy a WR250R so now I won't be riding the hero stuff on my T7 anymore

Edited by advsquid

On 4/2/2023 at 9:09 PM, advsquid said:

No. But you will mess up the rear suspension mudguard, especially with more aggressive tires.

• 2 months later...

I am going to run a 16T AFTER a flash and FULL exhaust. Snorkel is removed. I've been climbing up rocky hills in 3rd at 15mph easily and I'm 265lbs. Engine not lugging. After flash and exhaust I feel the gearing will just be too low. I ride gravel, back roads, more technical steep two-track (but nothing crazy). Sometimes I need to hit the highway for a good bit of miles and it's a bit buzzy at75. The extra oomph and weight loss from the tune and exhaust (and lithium battery) should make the slightly higher gearing feel pretty close to a choked up stock bike. The MT-07 has 16-43 so this will be 16-46. Still lower than the MT07 at 2.88 vs MT07's 2.69 ratio. Stock is 3.07. I'd consider going down two teeth in the rear, but I'd rather not mess with the wheelbase.

I just rode a 1735 mile R/T which had some long highway drives. North of Reno the speed limit is 80mph too. so I bought a 16T from Cyclepeople and popped it on, quick chain adjustment, just super easy. It was nice! Cruising at 80-85 hardly ever exceeding 6000 rpm was quite comfortable, for me. I found gas mileage was about the same (43mpg with a headwind and 60 with a tailwind) at those speeds. We did some pretty mellow `two track in Idaho and I didn't miss the acceleration, keep the revs up in the dirt to offset the taller gearing and it still pulls pretty hard. I love that the T7 has a "power band" LOL. Same on the twisties, keep the revs up and you don't have to shift quite as much, that was nice. Next time I work on the bike I'll probably put the 15T back on, but for eating asphalt the 16T rocks.

I can't even hit the rev limiter in 5th, let alone use much of 6th. When I hit about 120 it peters out in 5th with some rpm to go still. The hp curve on the top end is pretty flat so surprising if I switch to 6th at 120 it just holds it. Thinking about going 15t.

2 hours ago, IAbeem said:

I can't even hit the rev limiter in 5th, let alone use much of 6th. When I hit about 120 it peters out in 5th with some rpm to go still. The hp curve on the top end is pretty flat so surprising if I switch to 6th at 120 it just holds it. Thinking about going 15t.

Sounds like you need a bigger bike lol

23 hours ago, sunndog said:

Sounds like you need a bigger bike lol

I also have an mt-10 and fz1 and 2 smaller bikes.

I get gearing up if you do a lot of highway and don't really rip the bike but that's not my scenario. Do you guys think high rpm is hard on the cp2 though? I wonder because I do top it out frequently but I'd imagine most of the r7's and even a lot of mt-07s are riden that way. The internet says the cp2 is statistically the most reliable engine for what that's worth.

37 minutes ago, IAbeem said:

I also have an mt-10 and fz1 and 2 smaller bikes.

I get gearing up if you do a lot of highway and don't really rip the bike but that's not my scenario. Do you guys think high rpm is hard on the cp2 though? I wonder because I do top it out frequently but I'd imagine most of the r7's and even a lot of mt-07s are riden that way. The internet says the cp2 is statistically the most reliable engine for what that's worth.

Tbh yeah the higher revs are taking some getting used to. I'm coming from powerful v twins (ktm) much lazier revving and to more adv feeling. I don't like sitting above 5k on a big bike tbh...only a personal thing not really based on anything other than mechanical sympathy 

Edited by sunndog
  • Like 1

• Premium Member

Hear and semi-agree what everyone says regarding 16th for Road us and if this was 100% motorway / interstate then I’d fully agree.  

Having said this i have done 3 longish week long trips and I find the 15 and standard gearing ok even on the long stretches. I have seen 80mpg on some easy parts with trip averages of 67mpg even racing bigger bikes.

So I think standard gearing is ok for me as with more miles over 10000 miles on the motor revs even easier and freer with no vibes and no real buzzing, though I’d do seek out twisty roads, single track roads and lanes where possible. 

A tooth or two down on the rear sprocket maybe worth it. 45T Rear sounds interesting.

I've tried the 16t from sprocket, but changed back. Felt the 16t took away some of the engine's agility and flexibility that I appreciate so much.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
13 minutes ago, Chev. said:

I've tried the 16t from sprocket, but changed back. Felt the 16t took away some of the engine's agility and flexibility that I appreciate so much.

A 45T rear may be ok