Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Dialing in the seat lock

Boondocker

This is a copy of a mod I did to my Super Ténéré - putting a knob in the seat lock so I don't have to use my ignition key. I'm a little bit paranoid about using the ignition key for this purpose.

712527646_Seatlock1.jpg.61819792bf1dae476ce000622deba37b.jpg

In short - I made copies of my ignition key, cut it down to the desired size, and fitted/JB Welded it to a knob sourced from my local Ace Hardware store.

599046742_Seatlock3.jpg.c120f3167914d2a2f8fbfaa334301393.jpg

Fits the fuel cap too.

1779540071_Seatlock2.jpg.39e7612964eac422281784b2319d8cbf.jpg

Here are the answers:

The knob-ended key stays in the seat lock all the time and doesn't fall out.

The knob-ended key fits the fuel cap lock.

The knob-ended key does not fit the ignition. It goes in but is not long enough to engage the lock tumblers to turn the ignition switch.

I might redo this in the future with a knob that is more elongated to provide better leverage - it's a little too hard to turn for my tastes. Otherwise, it's my kind of mod - works for me and is so subtle that no one will notice it.

• Like 5

For a different take on this - I actually just disconnected the seat cable from that rear latch, and relocated / zip tied it to the backside of the down tube on the subframe.  This way, I can pop off the rear section without a key. 

Unless someone ran their grimy fingers all over the bike, they'd never find this alteration.

And with the other mod on the front seat, I can also pop that off without the Allen key.  Makes tinkering on the bike a whole lot easier.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Endopotential said:

And with the other mod on the front seat, I can also pop that off without the Allen key.  Makes tinkering on the bike a whole lot easier.

I did that mod, but you still have to take the rear seat off to access it.  I'm looking at the overlap of the rear and seeing if there is a way I can mod it so the front can just lift off with a little upward pressure.  Reason being I have the mosco bags on permanently and to remove the rear I have to remove them.

• Like 1

ok ignoring all the adult innuendos I saw when real the numerous uses for your "knob-end" that's a nice mod

I don't like key seat as I have nearly broken it off a few times as forget take key out when take seat off. I was going to do the "cable tie" method until saw this

8 minutes ago, winddown said:

I did that mod, but you still have to take the rear seat off to access it.  I'm looking at the overlap of the rear and seeing if there is a way I can mod it so the front can just lift off with a little upward pressure.  Reason being I have the mosco bags on permanently and to remove the rear I have to remove them.

rs=w:600,h:600

Seat Joining Kit to solve the issue of the forward seat being bolted down, allows for very easy access to get to maintenance items.All parts are included in the kit, and no permanent modifications or cuts are required so its just...

this worked great (albeit a long delivery tme)

• Like 1

On 3/3/2023 at 6:02 PM, john_aero said:
rs=w:600,h:600
Seat Joining Kit to solve the issue of the forward seat being bolted down, allows for very easy access to get to maintenance items

No, I don't want to join the seats, I want to be able to remove the front seat without having to remove the rear first.  That mod kit above is unnecessary because all you have to do is reverse the bolts that hold the front seat down and it pops straight off, but only after the rear is removed.  look at the mod, it's a lot easier to remove the two seats than one single long seat.

21 hours ago, winddown said:

No, I don't want to join the seats, I want to be able to remove the front seat without having to remove the rear first.  That mod kit above is unnecessary because all you have to do is reverse the bolts that hold the front seat down and it pops straight off, but only after the rear is removed.  look at the mod, it's a lot easier to remove the two seats than one single long seat.

i have seen that mod but what I wanted to do was install 1 long seat cover for comfort onto of this seat. then it removes all rides or gaps for comford