Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

CAUTION - Kriega OS Base

Endopotential

Just a heads up in case you were looking at this system.  The Tenere specific version of the Kriega OS base is designed to fit skin tight over a naked bike.  It won't fit if you have any sort of rear tail rack bolted onto those rear 4 pegs.

The Tenere specific version has closed loops at the top that are designed to drape over exposed pegs.  If those pegs have anything over them, this version won't work as you can't undo those closed loops.  Plus the lower straps have no room for length adjustment.

I had mounted a Tusk tail rack so I had to switch to the generic version of the OS Base.  It's got open straps with room for adjustment at both ends.  And the cut is pretty much the same as the Tenere specific version, so you're not losing anything special there.

Here are some pics of it fitted with the 18L bags, as I had a surprisingly hard time trying find how these would look on our T7.  They're a shade wider but a lot shorter than the Mosko Reckless side bags which are 25L.

IMG_2416.jpeg

IMG_2417.jpeg

Edited by Endopotential
  • Like 5

The whole idea of their OS base is eliminating the need of racks - which I like. But then there are cases where one might need a rack for whatever reason. Good to know that the standard version has enough adjustability to cover this application, too. I remember others here have already pointed out that the T7 base has fixed lower straps - unnecessary cost-cutting imho.

• Like 1

The T7 specific OS Base will fit with a rear tail rack like the CamelADV. You do have to unstitch the ends of the straps to pass them through the rack. 

Edited by Hollybrook

Yes, I tried that unstitching trick on the Tenere specific base.  But the problem is that the way they design their cam buckles, it's not easy to thread the straps back and forth easily.  Also, the nylon that Kriega uses doesn't lend itself to sealing the ends cleanly with a flame.  

I really tried to make it work, but no luck.  The universal base is just a lot more flexible and looks just a sleek, without all the additional hassle.

• Like 1

I've never had problems sealing Kriega webbing, though I do use a hot knife. 

Kriega buckles have always been slightly difficult to adjust for me. Cutting the ends of the webbing at an angle helps with feeding the webbing through the buckle. 

1 hour ago, ScorpionT16 said:

What exhaust is that and how does it not burn your boots?

Some details in my build profile.  I've had the same exhaust on a cafe racer I built, and never any heat issues with it.   The heel of my boot doesn't go back any further than the rear brake cylinder, so it's not even really close to the exhaust.  And I've got fingers crossed that the exit of the exhaust is nowhere close to the pannier bags.

You can also tune how loud you want the exhaust noise with some fiberglass wrap around the dB killer within the pipe.  I think it sounds great.

So far it's worked well on the Tenere.  Others may disagree, but I think it offers a lot of advantages compared to the OEM muffler hanging so high up.   And all the usual aftermarket options just tweak the problem a bit, but don't solve the key problem of weight up high. 

The only disadvantage I see to my current exhaust is that I can't cross deep rivers, which I don't foresee in my near future 😋

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 3/2/2023 at 10:10 PM, Endopotential said:

Just a heads up in case you were looking at this system.  The Tenere specific version of the Kriega OS base is designed to fit skin tight over a naked bike.  It won't fit if you have any sort of rear tail rack bolted onto those rear 4 pegs.

The Tenere specific version has closed loops at the top that are designed to drape over exposed pegs.  If those pegs have anything over them, this version won't work as you can't undo those closed loops.  Plus the lower straps have no room for length adjustment.

I had mounted a Tusk tail rack so I had to switch to the generic version of the OS Base.  It's got open straps with room for adjustment at both ends.  And the cut is pretty much the same as the Tenere specific version, so you're not losing anything special there.

Here are some pics of it fitted with the 18L bags, as I had a surprisingly hard time trying find how these would look on our T7.  They're a shade wider but a lot shorter than the Mosko Reckless side bags which are 25L.

IMG_2416.jpeg

IMG_2417.jpeg

So are you saying that one should buy the universal system and not the T7 specific kit?  That will also save a lot of money.

Edited by r1superstar
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, r1superstar said:

So are you saying that one should buy the universal system and not the T7 specific kit?  That will also save a lot of money.

I've already read this suggestion somewhere else here on the board. So yes, it seems to be the better AND cheaper solution. I think the T7 specific strap "rollers" replacing the black hook anchor points next to the rear seat would be missing though.

1 minute ago, Tenerider said:

I've already read this suggestion somewhere else here on the board. So yes, it seems to be the better AND cheaper solution. I think the T7 specific strap "rollers" replacing the black hook anchor points next to the rear seat would be missing though.

Couldn't we mount them to a top plate/rack?

1024_Yamaha_T700_TR_Perunmoto-5_240x.jpg

Before ordering, please check Shipping Info page. Instructions - HERE. --- Compatibility - fits all Yamaha Tenere 700 bikes. Doesn't fit with any pannier racks except Outback Motortek pannier rack!  Fits with Perun moto...

11 minutes ago, Tenerider said:

You are referring to these two mounts correct?

kriega-os-base-rack-loops.jpg

On 3/3/2023 at 12:33 PM, Hollybrook said:

I've never had problems sealing Kriega webbing, though I do use a hot knife. 

Kriega buckles have always been slightly difficult to adjust for me. Cutting the ends of the webbing at an angle helps with feeding the webbing through the buckle. 

I carry a pair of forceps (like skinny needle-nose pliers) to thread webbing straps. I find this tool very handy, especially for the Kreiga straps. Saves me much consternation.

image.png.75ec685c40e4afd10f779867bbc47912.png

Yes to all the above.    The generic version is cheaper and much more flexible than the T7 specific version. 

On the  T7 specific version, the straps aren't very adjustable at all and greatly limit your mounting options.  It'll provide a skin tight fit to a naked T7 if that's what you're after, but otherwise it's not a very accommodating design.

Much better to get the generic set with those two silver discs.  You really don't even need those discs if you have a tail rack as I do, where attachment options abound.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Endopotential said:

Yes to all the above.    The generic version is cheaper and much more flexible than the T7 specific version. 

On the  T7 specific version, the straps aren't very adjustable at all and greatly limit your mounting options.  It'll provide a skin tight fit to a naked T7 if that's what you're after, but otherwise it's not a very accommodating design.

Much better to get the generic set with those two silver discs.  You really don't even need those discs if you have a tail rack as I do, where attachment options abound.

PERFECT!  That's what I was thinking as well after reviewing both setups in detail.  Plus I could use the system on my Husqvarna TE250i if I wanted to.

7 hours ago, r1superstar said:

You are referring to these two mounts correct?

kriega-os-base-rack-loops.jpg

Sorry, I meant the parts that replace the OEM luggage lugs:

Screenshot_20230414_063157_Firefox.jpg.2b3c214d5bdd8418b27ecb465c962e98.jpg

The Perun mount is on the way.  The OS Combo 24 are close behind.  I will mount them all up and see how they fit.  I'm also going to run a RotoPax 1 gal can on the rear rack and the Krieg US 30 on top of that.

Edited by r1superstar
  • Like 1

Looking at the website, the OS base for “dirt bike” and Norden look like they’re more stable with the strap design, the Norden one being wider so may suit t7 with frames etc. However they still aren’t using adjusters for the front straps, which seems weird. A simple cam strap or adjustable buckle down there would be great. 
wouldn’t get one though unless I was trying them out physically on my bike at the shop. Adv bike store in south wales might get a visit one day for some comparisons.
Mine (OS18s) are still directly mounted for now. 
Great quality. 

• 9 months later...

IMG_6655.jpeg.8cd2dee3daba9ab408a47d0c6f8a0681.jpegIMG_6648.jpeg.feef6e294215879d19f8fedd62fa37d7.jpeg

i found a solution with tall comfort seatconcept seat, perun moto rear rack. Must buy dirtbike kriega loops as seen in picture

IMG_6654.jpeg

• Like 1

I have the Perun rear rack , and have Heed rear crash bars. Even with the Heed bars pushing the tenere OS baseout slightly, I have no issues fixing the luggage to my bike. 
The kreiga straps can be a little stiff at first, but they do break in and get a lot easier after a few uses. 

perun also sells the longer pegs to wrap the os loops around on the back which I have on in these photos 

IMG_4727.jpeg

IMG_4726.jpeg