Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

MSR Xplorer Adv Gear

jdub289f

The time has come to upgrade the gear. Does anybody have much experience yet with the new MSR Xplorer adv jacket and pants? Rocky Mountain is pushing it pretty hard and the reviews on youtube so far seem to be pretty positive. My only deterrent is that it has CE level 1 armor instead of level 2, which is making me lean towards Klim Carlsbad gear. Also wondering about peoples experience with their newest version of that gear line and if anyone has any big negatives with that. Thanks everyone

• Moderators

@jdub289f Regarding Klim customer service,  here's a post or two that might be of interest.   RMATV has been very good to work with in the past so right there they've passed up Klim in my book.

• Like 1

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

@jdub289f replacing the armor with D30 level 2 would cost $35-40 for each location.  If you replaced the elbows, shoulders and knees, you would be at $880 vs $1,330 for the Carlsbad. 

I just did this with my Klim Baja S4 gear that came with level 1.

Edited by Hollybrook
Fixed prices - not sure what I was thinking before!
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Hollybrook said:

@jdub289f replacing the armor with D30 level 2 would cost $35-40 for each location.  If you replaced the elbows, shoulders and knees, you would be at $480 vs $600 for the Carlsbad. 

I just did this with my Klim Baja S4 gear that came with level 1.

I guess the follow up question to that would be do you know where I could get replacement level 2 armor for the msr? Not sure if it’s universal between brands or brand specific. But at that point I might as well just go get the Carlsbad. Might be partially why the price point is way lower on the msr too

I bought mine for the Baja S4 from Revzilla.  They have a few different brands of D30 and usually do free returns for a valid reason. 

Edited by Hollybrook
  • Like 1

My el cheapo HWK pants from Amazon have not held up very well at all.  The pants legs have severely worn with a hole and a failed seam.  This leaves me VERY worried about how they would hold up sliding across asphalt, even with the upgraded Forcefield Isolator CE level 2 armor that I switched to.

I have really nice mesh gear for warm weather, but need better winter gear that is weatherproof.  I have been looking at Aerostich Roadcrafter 2-piece (really nice, but too street oriented) and Klim Carlsbad (Badlands would be nice but $2,000 for a jacket and pants!).  Comparing the Klim Carlsbad and the MSR Xplorer ADV, I cannot see the Carlsbad being worth $450 more.  I just ordered the MSR gear and will report back what I think about it when it arrives in a week or two.

I appreciate folks talking about gear choices.  I've had a LOT of gear and some of the older mid-range stuff I've owned has held up exceptionally well.  I've owned stuff by MSR, Fieldsheer, Firstgear, Joe Rocket, Leatt, Thor, Fly, and many others. Klim makes good stuff but it is expensive for what it is and I am determined to find other perfectly good alternatives despite having a closet full of their stuff. Why? Because I too think their customer service sucks. 

Here's my Klim Customer service story:  I stopped by their headquarters/store/shipping warehouse in Rigby Idaho during a cross country MC trip to see if they could assist with repairing the Fly zipper on  my Latitude pants that had broken the day before.  I am well versed with the concept of gathering more flies with honey and held no ill will to Klim for my bit of misfortune.

I was immediately advised by the employee behind the counter they couldn't fix my pants because they don't make or fix anything at their headquarters/store/warehouse.  They could however sell me a new pair.   Seeing as I was 3000 miles from home and had been riding in rain for the past 24 hours with no fly zipper I went ahead and bought a new pair. After checking out (and paying full retail I might add)  I handed the lady my broken pair of pants and asked if she could take care of getting them turned in for warranty repair as I didn't have room to pack them along for the rest of trip.   The lady looked at me and said "I'm sorry,  you'll have to mail them in. We can't process warranty claims here."

I sat their dumbfounded for a minute but once I managed to pick my jaw off the floor I thought sure I had misunderstood or she had so I repeated the sequence of events since I had walked in and said  "So let me get this straight...  I'm 3000 miles from home with a broken pair of your pants. This is Klim headquarters and that is a warehouse complex I see out back from which you ship product every day. I've just purchased a replacement pair of pants at full retail because you can't repair mine here,  and you can't take care of getting my pants submitted to your claims department?"   

For some silly reason I actually thought if I laid it all out verbally the absurdity  of her statement would sink in but alas, it didn't. And out the door I went with my new pair of full retail pants along with my broken pair of pants that the lady said would qualify for warranty repair but I'd have to mail them in myself rather than hand them directly to a Klim employee who would take care of a loyal long term customer.

So yep, I'm no longer loyal in the least now and more than happy to share why when the subject comes up.:)

Bottom line? I'll take a hard look at what MSR has in the way of gear that might work for me. 

Edited by Windblown
  • Sad 2

Rocky Mountain ADV surprised me with very quick shipping and the new MSR ADV gear arrived today.  As all the reviewers said, it is very nicely made and a great deal.  That said, I have some fit problems with it that I doubt are solvable. 

On the XL jacket, the chest and waist fit nicely, but the sleeves are too short for me.  Compared to my XL Klim Baja S4, they are 2" shorter, which is not going to work for me.  I also can confirm that the neck opening is larger than any other jacket that I have worn.  It does have an elastic cord adjustment that helps, but it still feels too large to me.  The neck is not a deal breaker, but worth mentioning.  I looked at the website to see if the 2XL might work, but they are 4" larger in the chest and waist, so will be way too big everywhere other than the arms.

The pants are a bit tight compared to my Klim Baja S4 pants, but still OK at the waist and legs.  My concern with the pants is that it feels like they were made for someone with absolutely no butt at all.  Given that I am in my mid-60's, I certainly don't have a big butt, so this was a bit of a surprise.  It feels like they are tightest in the middle of my butt, and too loose in the back at the waist.  They also feel a little short at the waist in the back, so always feel like they are falling down.  This could most likely be fixed by suspenders, but I am hoping to not need them.  If they sold a 40 tall, I might be more comfortable with them.

A local shop carries a nice selection of Klim, so I will head over there on Tuesday when they are next open to try on the Carlsbad gear.  Maybe I will be spending a bit more than I hoped...

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Hollybrook said:

Rocky Mountain ADV surprised me with very quick shipping and the new MSR ADV gear arrived today.  As all the reviewers said, it is very nicely made and a great deal.  That said, I have some fit problems with it that I doubt are solvable. 

On the XL jacket, the chest and waist fit nicely, but the sleeves are too short for me.  Compared to my XL Klim Baja S4, they are 2" shorter, which is not going to work for me.  I also can confirm that the neck opening is larger than any other jacket that I have worn.  It does have an elastic cord adjustment that helps, but it still feels too large to me.  The neck is not a deal breaker, but worth mentioning.  I looked at the website to see if the 2XL might work, but they are 4" larger in the chest and waist, so will be way too big everywhere other than the arms.

The pants are a bit tight compared to my Klim Baja S4 pants, but still OK at the waist and legs.  My concern with the pants is that it feels like they were made for someone with absolutely no butt at all.  Given that I am in my mid-60's, I certainly don't have a big butt, so this was a bit of a surprise.  It feels like they are tightest in the middle of my butt, and too loose in the back at the waist.  They also feel a little short at the waist in the back, so always feel like they are falling down.  This could most likely be fixed by suspenders, but I am hoping to not need them.  If they sold a 40 tall, I might be more comfortable with them.

A local shop carries a nice selection of Klim, so I will head over there on Tuesday when they are next open to try on the Carlsbad gear.  Maybe I will be spending a bit more than I hoped...

That's some interesting feedback. How tall are you? A lot of people complain about the Klim jackets having too long of sleeves. I have a 46 chest and my arms are a tad longer than average, so I'm kind of in between a large and xl for klim sizing. I'd for sure be an xl in the MSR jacket. I also see a lot of people complain about the kneepad placement in the Klim carlsbad. Sadly all my shops locally only order Klim but don't carry any in stock. 

The other bummer about the MSR gear is the level 1 armor. I'm sure there's some other brand's level 2 armor that's the same shape you can fit in as well, but it would be nice if RM had the option of an armor upgrade kit or just having it all level 2 for another $100 or whatever. 

So basically I'm still torn on my decision.

@Hollybrook Good to know about the arm length on the jacket as I struggle with that.  I have gone thru life with shirt sleeves rolled up as much for getting greasy as for the fact that pretty much every shirt I own has sleeves that are too short. 

@Hollybrook Aerostich makes all their own jackets and pants right up there in Minnesota. They offer standard sizes with the extra lengths ( L), but there forte is custom making them for you. They have been around a long time and guys that have one (me) swear but them!

• Like 1

We are all tattooed in our cradles with the beliefs of our tribe

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

Dang @jdub289f , we're getting a bit personal here...  I am 6'3" tall, but with a short torso and long legs and arms.  My sleeve length is 36-37 depending on the manufacturer.  My chest is also a 46, so it sounds like we are similar.  The D3O armor is identical to what Klim uses from what I can see, so Icon and Klim should fit well in the MSR gear.  Since the armor pockets are adjustable, I suspect the RICHA will also work, though I think it is a bit longer.  That may be irrelevant if you are my size as I suspect you would be unhappy with the sleeve length.  FWIW, with my arms relaxed at my sides, the sleeves barely came to my wrists, so when sitting on a bike, they felt too short for me.  If someone gave me the jacket for free, I probably would wear it, but no way I am going to pay $400 for it and then add another $80 to upgrade the elbow and shoulder armor.   My pants inseam is 36" and the 38 tall pants were adequately long for me.  I was able to lower the armor in the knee to where it was exactly where I wanted it.

@Windblown Don't you have or had a Carlsbad jacket, known for long sleeves?  If that fit, this one won't.  I am going over to Motorcycles of Dulles tomorrow morning to try on some Klim Carlsbad gear.  According to Klim, they have quite a bit in stock, though no tall size pants.  I'll report back what I find relative to fit vs. the MSR gear.

@Hibobb If I was looking for touring or street gear, Aerostich would be first on my list.  I thought long and hard about a Roadcrafter 2 piece suit, but the style of riding I am doing is not really in its wheelhouse.  I want this suit for 3-season riding, but I also want to use the pants with my Baja S4 jacket when summer riding in muddy conditions.

• Like 1

@Hollybrook

Yep, My 2019 model Carlsbad (in medium) fits well. Sleeves might be just a touch longer than necessary but that's a pleasant change from too short.   I might have to bump up to a large (in something) if I don't burn off this wintertime gut soon. 

Edited by Windblown
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Hollybrook said:

Dang @jdub289f , we're getting a bit personal here...  I am 6'3" tall, but with a short torso and long legs and arms.  My sleeve length is 36-37 depending on the manufacturer.  My chest is also a 46, so it sounds like we are similar.  The D3O armor is identical to what Klim uses from what I can see, so Icon and Klim should fit well in the MSR gear.  Since the armor pockets are adjustable, I suspect the RICHA will also work, though I think it is a bit longer.  That may be irrelevant if you are my size as I suspect you would be unhappy with the sleeve length.  FWIW, with my arms relaxed at my sides, the sleeves barely came to my wrists, so when sitting on a bike, they felt too short for me.  If someone gave me the jacket for free, I probably would wear it, but no way I am going to pay $400 for it and then add another $80 to upgrade the elbow and shoulder armor.   My pants inseam is 36" and the 38 tall pants were adequately long for me.  I was able to lower the armor in the knee to where it was exactly where I wanted it.

@Windblown Don't you have or had a Carlsbad jacket, known for long sleeves?  If that fit, this one won't.  I am going over to Motorcycles of Dulles tomorrow morning to try on some Klim Carlsbad gear.  According to Klim, they have quite a bit in stock, though no tall size pants.  I'll report back what I find relative to fit vs. the MSR gear.

@Hibobb If I was looking for touring or street gear, Aerostich would be first on my list.  I thought long and hard about a Roadcrafter 2 piece suit, but the style of riding I am doing is not really in its wheelhouse.  I want this suit for 3-season riding, but I also want to use the pants with my Baja S4 jacket when summer riding in muddy conditions.

That’s good info for size comparison. I’m 6’ with a 46 chest. I’m at the point where I’ll probably just drop a lot of coin on both the klim and msr and see what works best. Except the pants, nobody is liking the knee armor placement in the Carlsbad pants. So I may mismatch a bit and get msr pants and upgrade the knee and hip armor 

4 hours ago, Hibobb said:

@Hollybrook Aerostich makes all their own jackets and pants right up there in Minnesota. They offer standard sizes with the extra lengths ( L), but there forte is custom making them for you. They have been around a long time and guys that have one (me) swear but them!

I’ve got the MSR jacket on the way. At roughly 2/3 the price, I’m going to see what it’s like. 

I have Aerostich’s AD1 pants and they’re a great bit of kit. I’d recommend their stuff to anyone. 

if the MSR jacket doesn’t fit well, I’ll probably get the Darien. But at $800 after tax, that’s a really hard pill to swallow. 

Edited by smd3
Typo

@smd3 Yes, I know the pain. I cheaped out my whole life then woke up one day and I was 60.... 

• Like 4

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

Well, I think I owe MSR and Rocky Mountain ATV an apology.  I was measuring the sleeve length of my Baja jacket and decided to check the MSR one at the same time.  I was quite surprised to see that they are the same length when lying on a table, even though they seemed quite different when I first tried on the MSR!

I think that I got fooled by the stiffness of the new fabric and cold armor that did not conform to my back.  Also, the Baja has a significant amount of stretch fabric, which compounded the difference in feel,  I am now thinking that I will keep the jacket and pants, but am heading off to check out the Klim Carlsbad to make sure that is the right choice.  

More later when I get back.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Hibobb said:

@smd3 Yes, I know the pain. I cheaped out my whole life then woke up one day and I was 60.... 

I’m hoping that the MSR isn’t cheaping out. I suspect a good bit of the price difference is in manufacturing scale and, likely, questionable labor practices in the country of manufacture of the MSR. 

But, I do mostly agree to the cry once-buy once philosophy. 

• Like 1

@smd3 please forgive me, it was more of me living my life frugally, saving for when I get old, then waking up old.

I ride mud with an old MSR jacket I bought in the late 80's (With a dated color combination of the 80's, yuck) and it has held up well.

Edited by Hibobb
  • Like 1

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

Made the decision to buy two sizes of Carlsbad jackets, then two sizes of Carlsbad and Msr pants to compare them back to back. Decided not do do an msr jacket yet as it would be pretty pricey to upgrade the armor to level 2, and I prioritize my torso over everything else. If I keep the msr pants I’ll at least try and upgrade the knee armor. I’ll report back when I try them both!

I just got back from trying on the Carlsbad gear at a local shop, and the jacket came home with me.  I won't go to a brick and mortar store to look at something and then buy online, so they got the jacket sale.  The store does not carry long sized pants, so no sale there.  I have initiated an exchange with Rocky Mountain for the MSR gear in exchange for Carlsbad pants.

My opinion on the MSR gear is quite favorable.  It is well made and I think it has better features overall compared tot he Carlsbad.  That said, I have always had trouble finding clothes that fit me well, and the MSR falls into that category.  The sleeve length is OK, but not quite as long as I prefer.  I found the neck opening of the Carlsbad slightly smaller than the MSR, but not really significant.  For me, when I put on the MSR jacket, it feels like it fits OK, but the Carlsbad is just about perfect.  I found it frustrating to pay almost twice as much for the better fit, but experience has taught me not to compromise on this.

The MSR gear feels a lot stiffer than the Carlsbad, almost like the Badlands.  It is tighter in the shoulders and weight is similar to the Carlsbad, at least by feel.  It  has more vents, but the zippers are not as easy to move as the ones on the Carlsbad.  I liked the adjusters on the sides of the MSR jacket to pull in the chest, and also the pocket for a hydration pouch.  A big attraction to the MSR for me is the super fabric in wear zones.  I have this on my Baja S4 gear and feel that it is more important than the level of the armor, though you can easily upgrade the armor for $80 on the jacket.  The Carlsbad does have level 2 armor and a zipper to attach the pants.  It also has a Gore membrane that I feel gives you a better chance of free repairs if you encounter leaks.  The Carlsbad gear is CE AA rated, but I have not seen any rating for the MSR gear.  I suspect it would also pass the AA rating, but only testing would verify that.

The jacket selection was obvious to me due to the fit being much more comfortable.  I had more trouble deciding about the pants.  I ended  up going with the Carlsbad pants because of the zipper to the jacket and the Gore membrane.  Another consideration to me was the leather inside the knees on the MSR was not as supple and was also embossed, causing it to protrude more when sitting.  It felt thicker, but not as supple as the goatskin on the Carlsbad. 

Overall, I don't think you would go wrong with either of these suits, and appreciate Rocky Mountain ATV's reasonable return policy. 

Edited by Hollybrook
Added CE AA rating

1 hour ago, Hollybrook said:

I just got back from trying on the Carlsbad gear at a local shop, and the jacket came home with me.  I won't go to a brick and mortar store to look at something and then buy online, so they got the jacket sale.  The store does not carry long sized pants, so no sale there.  I have initiated an exchange with Rocky Mountain for the MSR gear in exchange for Carlsbad pants.

My opinion on the MSR gear is quite favorable.  It is well made and I think it has better features overall compared tot he Carlsbad.  That said, I have always had trouble finding clothes that fit me well, and the MSR falls into that category.  The sleeve length is OK, but not quite as long as I prefer.  I found the neck opening of the Carlsbad slightly smaller than the MSR, but not really significant.  For me, when I put on the MSR jacket, it feels like it fits OK, but the Carlsbad is just about perfect.  I found it frustrating to pay almost twice as much for the better fit, but experience has taught me not to compromise on this.

The MSR gear feels a lot stiffer than the Carlsbad, almost like the Badlands.  It is tighter in the shoulders and weight is similar to the Carlsbad, at least by feel.  It  has more vents, but the zippers are not as easy to move as the ones on the Carlsbad.  I liked the adjusters on the sides of the MSR jacket to pull in the chest, and also the pocket for a hydration pouch.  A big attraction to the MSR for me is the super fabric in wear zones.  I have this on my Baja S4 gear and feel that it is more important than the level of the armor, though you can easily upgrade the armor for $80 on the jacket.  The Carlsbad does have level 2 armor and a zipper to attach the pants.  It also has a Gore membrane that I feel gives you a better chance of free repairs if you encounter leaks.  The Carlsbad gear is CE AA rated, but I have not seen any rating for the MSR gear.  I suspect it would also pass the AA rating, but only testing would verify that.

The jacket selection was obvious to me due to the fit being much more comfortable.  I had more trouble deciding about the pants.  I ended  up going with the Carlsbad pants because of the zipper to the jacket and the Gore membrane.  Another consideration to me was the leather inside the knees on the MSR was not as supple and was also embossed, causing it to protrude more when sitting.  It felt thicker, but not as supple as the goatskin on the Carlsbad. 

Overall, I don't think you would go wrong with either of these suits, and appreciate Rocky Mountain ATV's reasonable return policy. 

Good to hear. My main concern with the carlsbad pants is all the complaints I hear about the knee protection not in the right position (too far to the inside). But I will know soon!

5 hours ago, Hibobb said:

@smd3 please forgive me, it was more of me living my life frugally, saving for when I get old, then waking up old.

I ride mud with an old MSR jacket I bought in the late 80's (With a dated color combination of the 80's, yuck) and it has held up well.

No offense taken here! Sorry if it sounded that way. 

I like name brands and usually splurge for something things that are made better, when I can. It’s served me well. 

I might have a little guilt about not buying the Aerostich Darien. I do like buying USA made stuff. And my AD1 pants have been awesome…but don’t vent, which is kind of unfortunate. 

Took a ride this morning wearing the new Carlsbad jacket.  At 30°F it was doing great with just a long sleeve T-shirt and heated jacket underneath. So far, I'm still liking it a lot -- very comfortable. 

• Like 1