Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Another crash bar dilemma

Srdj

Hi guys,

Ive finally decided to mount a set of crash bars on the T7.

My choices are limited due to availability in my area:

- a Givi TN2145 for Tenere 2019

- a SwMotech for Tenere 19-

- a custom made crash bar by a locally renowned crash bar maker

I have a 2021 model, with the cathalytic converter (see picture)

I am not sure if the first two options will fit, because i have read on a couple of places that there might be a problem with the cross-bar fitment.

I also have a Denali horn, not sure if it can also cause some discomfort with mounting..

Any experience would be welcome.

Screenshot_20230314_212314_Gallery.jpg

Im in Serbia, meaning - outside of EU

Thus, any import of products of such value would end up costing me almost twice the money.

Thats the limitation

These look nice though.

6 hours ago, Srdj said:

Im in Serbia, meaning - outside of EU

Thus, any import of products of such value would end up costing me almost twice the money.

Thats the limitation

These look nice though.

You're surrounded bu EU country's, can't you have it shipped to the closest EU town and then plan a nice ride install it and ride back into the country with the bars fitted like they already where?

I am happy with the SW motech bars.  Just get both uppers and lowers as the lowers only introduced a lot of vibes through the handle bars.

• Like 1

SW motech should be fine, though having fitted a set to a 2022 and then returning them due to fitment issues I settled on the OEM bars.  Having gone through the process of mounting both sets I must say I prefer the design of the oem's.  They are a simpler fit and the mounting arrangement seems more logical and robust to my eye (I'm no engineer though)

• Like 1

20 hours ago, winddown said:

SW motech should be fine, though having fitted a set to a 2022 and then returning them due to fitment issues I settled on the OEM bars.  Having gone through the process of mounting both sets I must say I prefer the design of the oem's.  They are a simpler fit and the mounting arrangement seems more logical and robust to my eye (I'm no engineer though)

So in the end Sw motech was not fitting at all so you switched to originals?

I dont like the oem looks honestly.☹️

You said in your first post you could get a 2019 set, these won't fit the 2022 in my opinion (I tried)  Apparently SW has modified them but I would check!

The mounting of the OEM was straightforward, bolts in logical places.  Someone once didn't read the instructions though and left out a spacer where they attach to the rear engine block, to a redundant double lug mount for the MTo7 shock.  Because of this error a lug broke off the engine and some riders thought this made the bars untrustworthy, but it was simply a failure of installation. 

The SW bars have odd little clamps that fit on the pipework up front.  They have to aligned perfectly for the crossbar and for the crashbars themselves, both at the right height too.   I didn't really like that, nor having to pull extra engine mounting bolts to mount the bars.  In my case the cross bar fouled on the pipes due to the new cat arrangement and they were unworkable but I'm glad of that, comparing them to the OEM bar mounting it's chalk and cheese to me.

- The Fiddly SW clamps that need precise alignment, they are rubberized too so if you don't get it right you have to loosen and jigger it, a drama really and probably results in unbalanced loads on the clamps.

19-PIPE-VIEWRHSs.jpg.0cb07f0af567a69895b4052c7aeb3138.jpg

-Earlier designed bars didn't fit the 2022 pipe arrangement.  You can see the heavy cross member here rubbing on the pipes. 

18-PIPE-VIEWRHSs.jpg.a90794e84f1508cf68a4df91a7f67adc.jpg

An email on the problem from SW

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

baremail.jpg.58143b1855df993a01ed5b5f84eceb3a.jpg

Installing both sides at once means having 4 engine mount bolts loose, at once.  A loose engine basically so you have to support in on a jack (I did anyway).  But it was all BS, they still didn't fit without rubbing

Now compare the look with other Bars

SW

12-PIPE-VIEWRHSs.jpg.a50bd4b268cb2483bd6f54f94fcb0e02.jpg

OEM fitted on my bike

000.jpg.e74e58e381a8d022fb919e9a6632623c.jpg

Some other brand

22-PIPE-VIEWRHSs.jpg.713925a2388978ca1f16a1293041b665.jpg

I think the OEM bars look fine, but I didn't like their center stand, for that I went with the SW motech

It's your call, but whichever ones you get just take maximum care with those bolts that go into the engine block, you don't want to strip any threads hey!  Also the OEM bars I fitted needed two separate sockets and extension bars (2 socket sets) to install the rear bolt, and one socket has to be super thin to fit up inside the tube.  Luckily I had a narrow socket for that side.

Edited by winddown

1 hour ago, winddown said:

You said in your first post you could get a 2019 set, these won't fit the 2022 in my opinion (I tried)  Apparently SW has modified them but I would check!

The mounting of the OEM was straightforward, bolts in logical places.  Someone once didn't read the instructions though and left out a spacer where they attach to the rear engine block, to a redundant double lug mount for the MTo7 shock.  Because of this error a lug broke off the engine and some riders thought this made the bars untrustworthy, but it was simply a failure of installation. 

The SW bars have odd little clamps that fit on the pipework up front.  They have to aligned perfectly for the crossbar and for the crashbars themselves, both at the right height too.   I didn't really like that, nor having to pull extra engine mounting bolts to mount the bars.  In my case the cross bar fouled on the pipes due to the new cat arrangement and they were unworkable but I'm glad of that, comparing them to the OEM bar mounting it's chalk and cheese to me.

- The Fiddly SW clamps that need precise alignment, they are rubberized too so if you don't get it right you have to loosen and jigger it, a drama really and probably results in unbalanced loads on the clamps.

-Earlier designed bars didn't fit the 2022 pipe arrangement.  You can see the heavy cross member here rubbing on the pipes. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Installing both sides at once means having 4 engine mount bolts loose, at once.  A loose engine basically so you have to support in on a jack (I did anyway).  But it was all BS, they still didn't fit without rubbing

SW

OEM fitted on my bike

Some other brand

I think the OEM bars look fine, but I didn't like their center stand, for that I went with the SW motech

It's your call, but whichever ones you get just take maximum care with those bolts that go into the engine block, you don't want to strip any threads hey!  Also the OEM bars I fitted needed two separate sockets and extension bars (2 socket sets) to install the rear bolt, and one socket has to be super thin to fit up inside the tube.  Luckily I had a narrow socket for that side.

I ditched the SW Motechs for the same reasons pointed out above.  I went with HEEDs and love them!!

22 hours ago, winddown said:

SW

OEM fitted on my bike

Some other brand

Lets see

Today i ordered the sw's from the main dealership of the brand.

The guy assured me that it will fit as he had that experience (they will fit it for me), otherwise they will keep them and i go search elsewhere.

I will make sure to monitor the fitment, as i dont want any scratches or contact with the pipes, like on your picture.

Edit

Btw, mine is a '21, but i dont think there is a difference versus '22 ?

Edited by Srdj
  • Like 1