Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Steg Pegz - what is your experience?

NeilW

Curious to hear the group's experience with STeg Pegz.

When do you find them most helpful?

Uphill

downhill?

standing for long periods ?

Ever get in the way?

Would you buy them again?

1 hour ago, winddown said:

Thanks-  that video certainly tells the whole story !

Yeah...  Well here's another vid, but for the bucks I'm sold.  I ordered the 2-rubber kit.

Standing up is a real chore at speed because I have to hang onto the bars for dear life, same going uphill.  Uphill I tend to squat down and lean forward a lot.  Anyway in a week or so I'll come back and review them but the concept seems sound to me.  Much more logical than those Double pegs on the other thread that support your heel.

steggo.jpg.69397de73781b7410b63cca2e6f9f5e8.jpg

Edited by winddown

Ready to rock!  That's the benefit of them being manufactured in-country.  Review in a couple of days.

steggo.jpg.0319b47d3a82fed68c27cea65b41dff2.jpg

• Like 2

Here is a thread on them over @ thumpertalk

tt-sharing-icon.png.1562451d841f7c93d41a

I finally broke down and got a set for my 2016 YZ250F. Mainly for all that they are advertised for; reducing arm pump and fatigue but more because I'm old and even more because I overkill with clamping the knees. My calves...

16 minutes ago, winddown said:

Here is a thread on them over @ thumpertalk

tt-sharing-icon.png.1562451d841f7c93d41a

I finally broke down and got a set for my 2016 YZ250F. Mainly for all that they are advertised for; reducing arm pump and fatigue but more because I'm old and even more because I overkill with clamping the knees. My calves...

seems to be universal that they do what they advertise to do- make exhausting parts of riding easier for people that want the exhausting parts of riding to be easier 🙂

1 hour ago, NeilW said:

make exhausting parts of riding easier for people that want the exhausting parts of riding to be easier 🙂

Amen!  I'm over 60 and want that.

It's a mad world we live in compared to 50 years ago but I wouldn't swap back for quids.

motorbike-old-man-584-1278695645.jpg.704a8022cded7a06bd98cc077638aba6.jpg

motorbike-old-man-2.jpg.3db26228cfcedb1476934796bc11c2a0.jpg

• Members

There is a bracket on the OEM pannier racks that is almost in the right spot, so I bolted up some cheap skateboard wheels.  Works ok, but needs to be about an inch more forward.  I'll have to cut a bracket sometime to move them forward.

Screen Shot 2023-03-23 at 2.22.50 PM.jpg

3 minutes ago, RobR said:

There is a bracket on the OEM pannier racks that is almost in the right spot, so I bolted up some cheap skateboard wheels.  Works ok, but needs to be about an inch more forward.  I'll have to cut a bracket sometime to move them forward.

Screen Shot 2023-03-23 at 2.22.50 PM.jpg

Once I got the Steg Pegz and saw the bracket in the way I thought of doing what you are doing, but then I wouldn’t be able to review the StegPegz, so I cut off the brackets. 🙂

Well, I'm back from an hours riding with the pegs (double rubbers)  Nothing technical, just putting around the gravel backroads.

ste01.jpg.8d23133733fe31d0392fda5f659118a2.jpg

a)  They make a big difference when standing, especially uphills.  Easy on the arms, I felt nicely locked to the bike when I gripped it.

If I didn't move my knees in to grip the lower tank it was like they weren't there, my boots could slide past them.

b)  I found they dug into my calves a bit because I have the soft TCX Baja boots, shouldn't be a problem with boots that have a rigid plastic back.

c)  You still have to hug the bike with your legs but it requires little effort.  I have two rubber pucks on mine and they anchor you well.

d) They are only effective standing, when sitting you wouldn't know they were there.

e)  I left them in the central position and standing erect from my natural riding position on the front of my arches they engaged perfectly.

f)  If I leaned forward they were out of range but by sliding my feet back till I was on the balls they were there supporting me again.

g)  Too many stickers, now I know I'm keeping them I'll peel one set off.

If I had designed them I would have used a 4 inch flat rubber surface, not round pucks that apply a lot of pressure to a single point on your calves, but again, that's just the boots I wear and if I really wanted I could shave them flat on one side lol.  The pucks, not my boots.  Of course I won't, it's not painful, just a little discomforting after a while.  The rubber is very grippy too, unlike some plastic jobbies you might knock up in the garage.

I have been known to accidentally open the throttle when hanging off the bars standing, I don't imagine this will be an issue now.  As soon as I stand up, squeeze the tank and lean back I can feel myself being supported and my grip on the bars becomes as light as when seated.  When I first fitted them I noticed they were not symmetrical with the foot-pegs, the RH footpeg stuck out a lot further.  They are symmetrical with the side of the bike though, and whatever is going on with the footpegs does not effect their use. 

Why does the RH footpeg stick out more?  Might as well ask why Yamaha didn't include a torque value for the rear footpeg bracket in their service manual.  I used 35Nm when I bolted them back on, just a random guess based on the bolt size.  Loctite of course.

Happy riding guys.

ste02.jpg.8030b5b6a6c19f5bd0018a508ff2bf2b.jpg

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, winddown said:

Well, I'm back from an hours riding with the pegs (double rubbers)  Nothing technical, just putting around the gravel backroads.

ste01.jpg.8d23133733fe31d0392fda5f659118a2.jpg

a)  They make a big difference when standing, especially uphills.  Easy on the arms, I felt nicely locked to the bike when I gripped it.

If I didn't move my knees in to grip the lower tank it was like they weren't there, my boots could slide past them.

b)  I found they dug into my calves a bit because I have the soft TCX Baja boots, shouldn't be a problem with boots that have a rigid plastic back.

c)  You still have to hug the bike with your legs but it requires little effort.  I have two rubber pucks on mine and they anchor you well.

d) They are only effective standing, when sitting you wouldn't know they were there.

e)  I left them in the central position and standing erect from my natural riding position on the front of my arches they engaged perfectly.

f)  If I leaned forward they were out of range but by sliding my feet back till I was on the balls they were there supporting me again.

g)  Too many stickers, now I know I'm keeping them I'll peel one set off.

If I had designed them I would have used a 4 inch flat rubber surface, not round pucks that apply a lot of pressure to a single point on your calves, but again, that's just the boots I wear and if I really wanted I could shave them flat on one side lol.  The pucks, not my boots.  Of course I won't, it's not painful, just a little discomforting after a while.  The rubber is very grippy too, unlike some plastic jobbies you might knock up in the garage.

I have been known to accidentally open the throttle when hanging off the bars standing, I don't imagine this will be an issue now.  As soon as I stand up, squeeze the tank and lean back I can feel myself being supported and my grip on the bars becomes as light as when seated.  When I first fitted them I noticed they were not symmetrical with the foot-pegs, the RH footpeg stuck out a lot further.  They are symmetrical with the side of the bike though, and whatever is going on with the footpegs does not effect their use. 

Why does the RH footpeg stick out more?  Might as well ask why Yamaha didn't include a torque value for the rear footpeg bracket in their service manual.  I used 35Nm when I bolted them back on, just a random guess based on the bolt size.  Loctite of course.

Happy riding guys.

ste02.jpg.8030b5b6a6c19f5bd0018a508ff2bf2b.jpg

Excellent review. Thanks 

On 3/21/2023 at 3:54 AM, NeilW said:

When do you find them most helpful?

Uphill

downhill?

I did go down a very steep loose section and had to squat and lean back, I can't remember them being engaged so to speak, my knees were probably loose as I was getting ready to bail out, or take a dump in my pants 😆