Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

T7 World Raid Tank Capacity/Range

danielgheorghe1

Hi everyone,

If there are any Tenere World Raid owners around, I would need your input on a disturbing topic.

I purchased my bike last year. The official Yamaha specs mention a 23L fuel tank with an estimated range of up to 500km. This is now what I have seen on my bike. My empty fuel tank could only hold 18.5L and the maximum range I got was 280km (the tank went completely empty, no reserve left), while riding it mostly in Eco mode.

I am curious to understand if other World Raid owners have seen a similar behavior.

Cheers!

Daniel

Sure you don't made it 280 miles?

280km's i manage when i ride hard offroad with lots of playing. That's with a standard tank, K&N filter, MIVV Dakar exhaust and a Rapid Bike Evo.

Yeah... unfortunately it's always between 250-300 km on a single full tank. That's why the concern. Yamaha is still investigating this and I thought some feedback from you guys might help validate the problem.

Something sounds strange. I have the 23l Acerbis tank on my standard T7 and get close to 500km on a tank.

Tenere 700 / Africa Twin / Goldwing / Super Tenere / WR250R / GS1000S / GT750 / H2 750

2 hours ago, danielgheorghe1 said:

Yeah... unfortunately it's always between 250-300 km on a single full tank. That's why the concern. Yamaha is still investigating this and I thought some feedback from you guys might help validate the problem.

Probably a stupid question but you are filling both tanks?

When you say ‘tank went completely empty’. Have you looked into both tanks to see if they are actually empty?

4L difference? Sounds like you bought a standard T7, not a world raid…but obviously that’s not the case. If your engine was burning up an extra 4 litres over 300km there would definitely be performance issues…strange…

Wasn't there an specific order for filling those tanks?

The T7 is loved for its simplicity....

This World Raid thing is just dumb (in my opinion)

Yamaha Tenere 700 World Rally Review Price Spec_12

• Like 2

We are all tattooed in our cradles with the beliefs of our tribe

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

2 hours ago, Ray Ride4life said:

Wasn't there an specific order for filling those tanks?

There is an order. The manual says to fill in the left side and then the right one. I followed the procedure.

And yes, both tanks went completely empty after 280 km running only on pavement without forcing the engine. The engine stopped working and I had to walk to the closest gas supplier and come back with a gas bottle. Not the most enjoyable way to spend time with your bike 🙂

So it's a twofold problem:

- Maximum range on a full tank: 280km instead of the advertised 500km

- Maximum fuel accommodated in the tank: 18.5l. A 5l difference from the 23l advertised capacity. It's like the 5l reserve is somehow missing or blocked.

So far, it seems like I'm the only one with these problems.

Are you sure your dash is in km not miles. Fiddling with buttons on the dash, I found it easy to inadvertently switch between the two.

You purchased last year, still warranty? I would go back to the dealer, let them measure the total volume and compare with other WR.

You don’t have a bag of hidden “contraband” in the tank by any chance? 😉

2 hours ago, BlatantlyLying said:

The most I have got from my WR is 274 miles which used 18.1 litres of petrol. Was on reserve. 

48007AC0-154E-4553-8927-680895B95F3C.png

Just remembered the £2 per litre days 🤮

It looks to me like it's very difficult to fill the WR tank completely 😕 

55 minutes ago, qInvention said:

It looks to me like it's very difficult to fill the WR tank completely 😕 

Don’t forget if it’s like the original, the fuel light panics well early. So going to the petrol station to be safe and filling up with about 4 or 5 litres still left in it. I’ve started playing fuel Russian roulette, judging range by the mpg I’ve averaged. And I’m sure it’ll catch me out sooner or later and I’ll be pushing. 🤔

You're right. I normally continue another 80km after the fuel light comes on. Then I still have a safety margin...

Thanks everyone for your feedback. Very useful! Somehow, this confirms the problem I have. Most of the data I gathered from people suggest a mileage of more than 400 km / 250 miles until the fuel light comes on (so on around 18 consumed liter). It's definitely not the case for me. I will continue the investigations with Yamaha.

• Like 1

I’d go back to the dealer that sold you it and demand they change the tank

it must be very easy for them to check that you can’t get anywhere near the 23l others are getting - 

• 1 month later...

Well I paid attention this weekend and ran the bike until it ticked to 1x Bar remaining of fuel (not Fuel light) I was out on a ride and not sure when the next Gas station was. WR mileage on full tank to 1 bar on sensor 256Km, Fuel to fill 12.37L filling left first then right and holding the bike upright to get that last inch.

Next weekend I'll try running to fuel reserve in the city to compare, but that seems...like I should have gotten more mileage unless that 'reserve' and last bar are as big as the other 4 bars combined...

Have you returned to the dealers? That’s seriously wrong 13l with 1 bar to go

thats average around 55 mpg which is quite low- are you riding it hard?

Edited by Lewie

I was thinking that my average of around 45mpg sounded quite low until I realized our US gallons are only 80% as large as imperial gallons. So, I would actually be getting 56mpg on the other side of the pond.