Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

AS Racks w/ CamelADV Enduro Exhaust

Hollybrook

Two of the earliest aftermarket parts I purchased were the CamelADV Hi Exhaust - Enduro Bend and Adventure Spec side racks.  I soon found out that they did not work well together, though could be used with additional spacers on the exhaust side.  Another issue that I uncovered was that the AS racks are designed to work with the passenger foot pegs installed, which need to be removed with the CamelADV exhaust.  I installed the exhaust and put the racks on the shelf.

Fast forward to this year, and I am planning on doing some trips that include camping, so needed to add more luggage capability.  Over the last year, I have bought a Green Chili Adventure Gear soft rack and a T7 specific Kriega OS Base with OS-12 bags.   I played with many combinations and decided that I really wanted to go with the AS racks and OS-12 bags.  The GCAG soft rack is sold and I will probably sell the Kriega OS Base as well.

The first thing I did was figure out spacer lengths and bolt lengths.  I have a CamelADV tail rack that mounts to same location as the rear mounting tab of the AS rack.  I also had temporarily installed some plastic grab handles from Aliexpress that I wanted to incorporate after modifying them.  Once I had this in mind, I figured out spacer and bolt lengths and purchased them from McMaster-Carr.  I was able to carefully bend the left side rack outwards to clear the muffler.  It would have been possible to use more spacers, but I wanted to remain at the same distance as intended by AS, so off the the vise I went.  Not knowing what aluminum alloy the racks were built of, I was very careful, going slowly and not bending any more than necessary.

With all this figured out, I still needed to do something with the front mounts.  I could not find any way to modify the front mounts provided by AS, so fabricating new ones was my best option.  I actually could have used the AS mount on the left side, but would have needed to add more spacers due to not having passenger foot pegs.  That was too ugly for me!

ASMount.jpg.8bec60a5144da46be730e39e814f6993.jpg

AS provides some nice stainless steel front mounts.  I wanted to design something at least as strong and rust resistant.  After some measuring and thinking about it, I decided to buy some 3"x3" stainless steel angle iron from McMaster-Carr.  I thought I might get away with only 6" long, but played it safe and bought a foot.  It turned out, that was a good thing because I made a mistake on the first mount I started on and just barely had enough material to make the two mounts.  Here is the last piece of angle iron before I began cutting it:

SSAngleIron.jpg.7bda804bb09dbf8289981b213f972cc8.jpg

I used cardboard to make a template of what I wanted to cut from the stainless steel and traced it onto the metal:

Template.jpg.f2a3400242d872c6858aa2d6bc85708a.jpg

After changing the shape to avoid the slit I should have been more careful not to make, cutting and grinding, here is the rough part:

RawPart.jpg.e930d1a111ede15b4035af53fbd5824e.jpg

Let's just say I found a good excuse to make the part lighter! 😳

Cutting turned out to be more difficult than I anticipated.  I have done a fair bit of fabricating using steel, but underestimated how much more difficult the stainless would be.  My first attempt to cut it was with a carbide sawzall blade, but I ended up breaking the blade clamp on my sawzall and had to order a new one.  Next, I tried a die grinder with a cutoff disk, but went through a bunch of them on the first part that I later realized was  not going to work.  The next day, I went to Home Depot and bought some metal cutoff disks for my angle grinder, which worked MUCH better.

Edited by Hollybrook
  • Like 1

Here are some photos of the finished product.  Side View:

SideView.jpg.99d6c967babdad2d2a2fa4bbdd33b1f5.jpg

Rear View:

RearView.jpg.451110256f5c58e30f03e79060400520.jpg

And here is a detailed photo of the left side bracket, as well as a glamour shot of the awesome welding on the CamelADV exhaust!

BracketDetail.jpg.d22aec6402e1c794e9ebc836dccbec6f.jpg

I am happy with how this turned out and curious to see how it holds up to luggage and dropping the bike.

Edited by Hollybrook
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Very well done. I have been forced to used the pillion pegs because I don't have anything to use as bracket yet. Actually pains me because I have bought the Kriega strap backet foot rest eliminator. As soon as I can find the material and time will make my own bracket too. Thanks for sharing, have a good one.

Edited by Baksi
Correction
  • Like 1

Good work

id bought some R&G ones - I’ll have to check them as I too have removed my rear foot pegs 

• Like 1

I was not aware that the Adventure Spec Side Racks needed the rear footpegs to mount to the bike! I saw the ASpec racks on the Camel ADV bike that they took pictures to show off the Enduro Bend and assumed it could work with it. Might have to fab something up myself at work.

I was also planning on running the Kreiga OS Base with the ASpec racks (but with US-18 bags).

Your solution looks great! Well done.

• Like 1

@Hollybrook I have the OEM exhaust but my AdvSpec side racks are mounted without the OEM pillion pegs, but with a spacer between the frame and the rack bracket. So pillion pegs not really required unless I misread your post.

Edited by Uncle M

@Uncle M the passenger pegs are not required, but AS uses a 15mm spacer with them. If you don't use the passenger pegs, you need about a 30mm spacer, and end up with something like my first photo. It works, but I wanted something that looked better and weighed less.  With the CamelADV enduro bend pipe, it would have been an interference fit on the right side of my bike. 

• Like 1

I ditched the AS Spacer and used 2"AL angle, works well with the MIVV. Thread with photos:

Edited by Bruincounselor