Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Fuel filters?

random1781

Lots of talk about all the other filters, but has anyone added a fuel filter, in-line or otherwise? I just ordered the Acerbis tank along with their tank filter, which I think will be good enough to protect against the gas-jug special on the side of the road.

advgoats.com

Guglatech makes industry leading fuel filter socks..ran them on my Super Tenere & currently on my T7...checkout the info on the BestRest Products website including his real world tests he conducted

KTM-EXC-Fuel-Filter-also-Husky-Husaberg-

GUGLAtech is an Italian company dedicated to making the world’s finest finest fuel and air filters.  Our intrepid BestRest staff tested these filters under actual field conditions and they were so impressed, BestRest became the...

Yeah, I had the Guglatech set on my old KTM and actually have their filter currently, but they're out of stock of the wide filters for the Acerbis tank so I'm looking at alternatives.

BestRest is also out of stock of Guglatech's filter, but even if they weren't, their prices are just offensive. The Guglatech filter is about $75 US shipped from Italy. Best Rest is asking $140 for the same one shipped from Idaho.

Edited by random1781

advgoats.com

Guglatech M22006 $115

Yamaha-Terere-1200.jpeg

Fits Yamaha Tenere T700 ARMORED mesh to prevent abrasion No upper flange - instead the upper neck ring snugs down into the tapered fuel tank filler nozzle Neck size 37mm Filter size 4"x8" Filter bag is centered on the...

I’ve never used a filter sock before, are they reusable after cleaning or do you have to dispose of it when dirty like an in-line filter?

@random1781 for a temporary solution,  you could use one of these: 

192x192.png?ver=1622796110

McMaster-Carr is the complete source for your plant with over 595,000 products. 98% of products ordered ship from stock and deliver same or next day.

Not very expensive but could be used by stuffing into the tank before fillup and then air drying before storage. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, PondHawk said:

I’ve never used a filter sock before, are they reusable after cleaning or do you have to dispose of it when dirty like an in-line filter?

I have some nice little Hi-flow inline filters, I was looking around the side of the bike for the fuel line but it's well hidden I think.  Perhaps an inline filter would be a solution?  Has anyone used one on this other bikes?  I also have a clutch of tiny plastic ones I have used on mowers etc over the years, the filter arrangement on even Honda mowers is pretty ordinary.  It's one reason I always use a higher octane fuel, they are cleaner by design, all other things being equal.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, winddown said:

I have some nice little Hi-flow inline filters, I was looking around the side of the bike for the fuel line but it's well hidden I think.  Perhaps an inline filter would be a solution?  Has anyone used one on this other bikes?  I also have a clutch of tiny plastic ones I have used on mowers etc over the years, the filter arrangement on even Honda mowers is pretty ordinary.  It's one reason I always use a higher octane fuel, they are cleaner by design, all other things being equal.

Here are a few reasons why something like the Guglatech fuel sock filter, (which filters not only physical contaminants , but water as well), located in the tank filler tube is more beneficial than in-line filters on FI motors:  1) on FI motors inline filters only filter fuel after it has gone thru the tank & fuel pump which is usually inside the fuel tank at the bottom where sediment can gather & usually have a relatively small tea bag sized sock filter attached to the intake housing (some manufacturers will not sell the sock filter separate from the pump assembly, although with a little research sometimes a substitute can be sourced...such was the case with the Super Tenere 1200 as noted here on my blog here) 

& may include a tiny flat mesh filter in the pump circuit; 2) injectors & motor/mileage performance are sensitive  to correct pressure which can lower below optimum levels easily as the in-tank  fuel pump filters clog up...drop off in performance & mileage are gradual so many miss the signs of the dirty filters (check out the pics of my S10 pump sock filter despite running premium unleaded for 22k kms...note that some of that sediment may be from coatings manufacturers put on components & tank interiors, so don't assume that a new bike cannot dirty filters quickly); 3) filtering fuel as it is put in the tank removes contaminants at the beginning of fueling process extending the life cycle of the fuel pump & all down stream components, preserves correct fuel pressure longer & some sock filters, like the Guglatech, filter other contaminants such as water. I now run the Guglatech fuel sock filters on all my bikes...FYI Guglatech also makes industry leading reusable air filters...their combo pack offers additional value  🙂

Edited by prowlnS10
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Fzrcraig said:

I use one of these on my woods bike….

Golan Products compact, micron, mini and large filters will improve the output and performance of your engines. Our washable and reusable filters are designed to last. F.A.A. approved filters for marine, automotive...

I have also used one of these in my old 650 dakar. Worked well at the time.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, kainic said:

Any issues taking long time filling up the tank?

It does take a while to top off completely. The annoying part is that every gas pump is a bit different, so some cut off immediately unless you position the nozzle just right and others don't cut off at all and you wind up spilling. It's even more annoying if you're somewhere where pumps are all service and they pump the gas for you. I've had quite a few spills because of this. Fortunately with the Acerbis tank, I don't think this will be a problem.

I guess the main difference between filters similar to Guglatech's (like Acerbis or Twin Air) is that they don't filter out water. They're supposed to be cleaned regularly, but I think I remember seeing somewhere that Guglatech's filters don't need to be cleaned. Someone correct me if I'm wrong!

advgoats.com

I think you need to clean any filter, just the interval is up for question, and that really depends on the quality of gas you are getting as well as the filter capacity. 

With E10 gas, filtering water is not as critical until you get to phase separation territory,  and then you have bigger problems. 

1 hour ago, Hollybrook said:

I think you need to clean any filter, just the interval is up for question, and that really depends on the quality of gas you are getting as well as the filter capacity. 

With E10 gas, filtering water is not as critical until you get to phase separation territory,  and then you have bigger problems. 

Guglatech says their filters are washable, but they recommend that you don't. They claim that trapped particulate will add to filtration.

Also of note, Guglatech's filters handle particles down to 15 microns, whereas other filters only go down to 40. Seems like they are the best for tank filters with Golan being a pretty highly recommended in-line filter. One thing that does bother me about their filter for the OEM Tenere tank is that the four small holes in the tank aren't covered, so if you don't have a nozzle or if you're trying to top off and overflow the filter, stuff could get by. Unfortunately I think it's because of the tank's design, so I don't think there's a way around that.

I'll be getting one of theirs once they're in stock again, and I'd recommend ordering direct from them:

Guglatech filter for OEM tank

Guglatech filter for Acerbis tank

Guglatech OEM fuel/air filter combo

advgoats.com

21 hours ago, winddown said:

Guglatech M22006 $115

Yamaha-Terere-1200.jpeg

Fits Yamaha Tenere T700 ARMORED mesh to prevent abrasion No upper flange - instead the upper neck ring snugs down into the tapered fuel tank filler nozzle Neck size 37mm Filter size 4"x8" Filter bag is centered on the...

Support a local made.

I have one in my Acerbis tank. Love it.

Alcohol! No good story starts with a salad.

22 hours ago, prowlnS10 said:

inline filters only filter fuel after it has gone thru the tank & fuel pump which is usually inside the fuel tank at the bottom

Of course, I should have seen that, an inline filter below that is is useless.

• Like 1