Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

DIY Calf Pegs

prowlnS10

DIY Calf Pegs (similar in concept to Steg Pegz)

Dirt bikers know that it is beneficial to squeeze their bikes mid section with their legs when standing...Australian made Steg Pegz, via their stackable rubber doughnut shaped pucks (up to 3), provide increased purchase for your boots allowing for the transfer of more leverage to the legs with less effort & less reliance on upper body strength resulting in a more relaxed grip on the bars & reduced hand/arm/upper body fatigue...all of which foster improved interface with the clutch, brake & throttle & by extension rider safety. 

This type of rider aid may be overlooked by the average Adventure bike rider, but the fitness/strength of my mid 60s core, legs & upper body appreciate any available advantage (see MVDBR Enduro's video "Are Steg Pegz Worth it on a Tenere 700?" below)...so I made my own calf pegs design using pre-formed 90 degree 3/16" (4.76 mm) thick aluminum stock for the mounting brackets & Amazon sourced rubber bumpers (skate board wheels are another alternative).

20230401_161832.jpg

Tech Tip: For ease of servicing an access hole in the right bracket facilitates removal/install of the rear brake reservoir mounting bolt located behind it & used M8 x 25 mm allen button head bolts for the mounting bracket & cut down allen key for clearance with the high mount MIVV Dakar exhaust mid-pipe. Blue Loctite is recommended on all bolts.

20230401_164511.jpg

20230401_161211.jpg

Can OEM Passenger Footpegs Still be Used?

I have not confirmed it, but is seems likely that my brackets & Steg Pegz should be compatible with the oem passenger footpeg hangers (longer bolts may be needed) on bikes with oem exhaust & some high mount exhaust systems like the MIVV (Camel ADV Products specifically notes that their Enduro Bend exhaust is not compatible with "hard pannier racks & pillion pegs"). Side luggage racks that utilize that mounting location may complicate compatibility. Do your due diligence beforehand to ensure compatibility with your specific bike set-up.

20230327_190118.jpg 20230327_190101.jpg

Mounting Brackets
See pics below for approximate dimensions & design.

Initial Design - Cardboard Mock-up 

Use cardboard for mock ups during the design phase to develop a template for laying out the project on your aluminum stock (it can be flipped/reversed for use on the other side - except for positioning of the mounting holes as noted in the text & picture below)...I opted to start with the exhaust side as it had the most design challenges/criteria & hand fabricated it with basic tools, located & drilled the holes...then used it as the working template for the other side & will either clear coat or paint them.  Chamfer or round off the sharp edges & corners, particularly the leading edge of the bracket that may contact your leg/boot (Steg Pegz bends that part of their bracket inwards). 

20220610_133409%20collage.jpg

Final Design - Aluminum

Pre-formed 90 degree 3/16" (4.76 mm) thick aluminum stock sourced from local supplier Metal Supermarkets provides sufficient rigidity/strength for the mounting brackets. 

The oem passenger footpeg hanger frame bolt bosses used for mounting the brackets have 7 cm on center hole spacing & used M8 x 25 mm allen button head bolts & cut down allen key for clearance with the MIVV Dakar exhaust mid-pipe during install.

20230327_195715.jpg

I opted to use M7 x 25 mm carriage bolts for mounting the bumpers because they have narrow profile smooth button heads negating the need for a wrench & maximize clearance with the rear side panels...which required squaring off the bumper mount hole with a dremel tool for proper fitment of the bolts.

20230327_195643.jpg

NOTE: the right & left bracket mount holes differ in position in order to obtain symmetrical positioning of the mounting brackets & bumpers relative to their respective side panels...check the left mounting plate for adequate clearance with the chain...I trimmed about 9.5mm or 3/8" off the inner edge (see pic below).

20230327_195505.jpg

Rubber Bumpers

I sourced 2.54 cm or 1" thick trailer, ramp, door bumpers on Amazon, which are about 1.5x thicker, slightly larger in diameter & may be a softer compound than the Steg Pegz pucks, which positions their outer surface almost flush with the widest part of the rear body side panels, while allowing your legs to bypass them when not in use & during foot down placement at stops.  Optimal placement of the bumper height on the upper mount section may be dependent on the height of your boot, what footpegs & peg lowering kit you may be using. Steg Pegz allows for front to back adjustment & you may wish to incorporate that functionality via a slot or separate holes.  I chamfered the sharp inner edge of the bumpers for added clearance with the body panels, used some vacuum line tubing as a bush for the center hole that was the same o.d. as the 7/16" bumper hole & i.d as the M7 x 25 mm carriage bolts & used 20 mm wide fender washers & nylock nuts.

Tech Tip: For best boot durability & calf comfort locate the bumper where it contacts hard plastic or thick/padded durable material on the boot.

JQuad%20(4%20Pack)%20Trailer%20Ramp%20Door%20Bumper%20-%20Truck%20Cargo%20Hatch%20Rubber%20Bump%20Stop1.jpg 20230327_190012.jpg

Interface With Boots 

20230401_194621.jpg 20230401_194900.jpg 

Preliminary Review

A full review/evaluation will have to wait until the bike is insured next month, but preliminary observations from standing on the bike are encouraging as they really make it easy to lock my legs securely in place against the bike's mid section with just light leg pressure allowing me to pivot at the knees forward & back without hands on the bars. I will be curious to see how the height feels as they contact the upper/mid part of my calf...it would be easy to modify the mounting bracket for a lower bumper position if wanted.

Steg Pegz for Yamaha Tenere 700

IMG_1631_1024x1024.jpg

Are Steg Pegz Worth it on a Tenere 700?
video by Josh @ MVDBR Enduro

Edited by prowlnS10
  • Like 3

Do you think it would be advantageous to use more pucks?  Or perhaps even a flat rubber surface.  I am using the stegs now, with 2 pucks,  and am wondering why they didn't go for a flat surface, it would be a lot kinder on the calfs since the back of my boots aren't ridged plastic like yours.

50 minutes ago, winddown said:

Do you think it would be advantageous to use more pucks?  Or perhaps even a flat rubber surface.  I am using the stegs now, with 2 pucks,  and am wondering why they didn't go for a flat surface, it would be a lot kinder on the calfs since the back of my boots aren't ridged plastic like yours.

A full ride evaluation will have to wait until the bike is insured in a few weeks so difficult at this stage to provide meaningful answers to your questions...I will provide updates once I have more seat/peg time in...but in theory may be more comfortable vs Steg Pegz  because the bumpers I used are about 1.5x wider than the SP pucks (so about mid-way in width between 1 & 2 SP pucks), a little larger in diameter & softer rubber compound & are rounded on the outside edge (so perhaps a little more calf/boot friendly)....adding another bumper (about the same as 3 SP pucks) would likely be too wide for my use on a T7.  I have seen a few DYI with flat surfaces...but suspect round pucks fit a larger number of bikes & have better aesthetics...given the variety of bikes, rider physiques & footwear it must be challenging to develop  a design with uniform market recognition, originally developed for dirt bikes, applicable to multiple bike genres.

• Like 1