Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Removing the Tenere 700 rear shock

Rich TT

7 minutes ago, Cruizin said:

Edited title slightly so that this is easily found on Google Search and many people will see it for years to come. 

Thank you!

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Great job.

just saying ref on “the linkage bushes and bearings aren't well greased from the factory“, if it’s like the MT-10s Yamaha use a blueish white powdery gel like lube substance of which there is not much there but when the heat of the exhaust builds the gel flows more grease like. Tenere could be different as it’s adventure bike. More fresh lube goodness ! 

keep us posted on how the spring works out 👍

• Like 2

8 hours ago, gone2seed said:

Thanks for the report Rich.

While it is off can you get me a measurement  eye center to center?

Thanks Jeff

374mm eye to eye with a tape measure as best as I can estimate.

Cheers

Rich

Appreciate you checking for me Rich.

I have a Penske shock that last saw duty on a 1000 vstrom.

Its to short -360 mm .

Worth a look tho.

Jeff 

• 1 month later...

What is the make-up torque for the top and bottom mounts for the rear shock?

On 3/30/2020 at 12:44 AM, Sven Arne said:

What is the make-up torque for the top and bottom mounts for the rear shock?

tightening torque is 45 Nm for both nuts

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I made a video ( in french ) on my youtube channel 😉

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

Find "mobylette rollers" on social medias ! 🙂

• 2 months later...

I put the rally raid 85mn spring in tonight and looking forward to setting the sag tomorrow and trying out. 

There was certainly no grease or blue stuff in either shock mount and it was visible that the bolts were wearing. It is a 10 min job to take them out and grease them and I think a good idea for everyone.

20200623_193725.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Gk83 said:

I put the rally raid 85mn spring in tonight and looking forward to setting the sag tomorrow and trying out. 

There was certainly no grease or blue stuff in either shock mount and it was visible that the bolts were wearing. It is a 10 min job to take them out and grease them and I think a good idea for everyone.

20200623_193725.jpg

Good stuff. Exactly what I found and did too👍

• Like 3

On 1/29/2020 at 11:44 PM, X Plane said:

Great job.

just saying ref on “the linkage bushes and bearings aren't well greased from the factory“, if it’s like the MT-10s Yamaha use a blueish white powdery gel like lube substance of which there is not much there but when the heat of the exhaust builds the gel flows more grease like. Tenere could be different as it’s adventure bike. More fresh lube goodness ! 

Is it worth stripping it all the way down from new to give it a good greasing?

how dry ish were the bolts n stuff?

Edited by Matth

• Premium Member
8 hours ago, Matth said:

Is it worth stripping it all the way down from new to give it a good greasing?

how dry ish were the bolts n stuff?

From reports above, on the shock mounts, yeah. Though I think you are referring to the linkages Not sure if the T7 has the Blue powdery gel type lube, that flows when exhaust heats it, like MT-10. So as reports say there little grease shock mounts then a strip and lube up of linkages and arms while the shock is out be recommended.

• Premium Member
On 6/23/2020 at 10:13 PM, Gk83 said:

20200623_193725.jpg

Love that diy spring compressor tool, good Improvisation,  👍

• Like 2

For me there was no grease or blue stuff. If you are not doing the spring its a 10 minute job to take out the shock to clean and grease so I would go for it.

Just put the bike on the centre stand, take the three screws out of the plastic side panels and remove, two screws from the mud guard and two nuts off the shock. Tap out the bottom pin first. 

When youre refitting you can put a strap around the back seat/rack and around the arm to get everything to line up. Just be careful of the paint on the side panels with the strap. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the tip. Easy to remove even with the mud guard still in place.

• 1 month later...
On 7/6/2020 at 3:18 AM, bru00z said:

Thanks for the tip. Easy to remove even with the mud guard still in place.

I must not be very good at puzzles. I gave up on the square peg/round hole and took the mudflat off😁

• Haha 3

• 4 months later...
On 1/30/2020 at 12:44 AM, X Plane said:

Great job.

Just removed the shock. The «linkage bushes» are at the lower part of the shock, right? That cylinder thing that you can take out, thats already a bit greasy?

Probably is, just asking to be sure. Im learning every day 😄

• Like 1

• Premium Member
6 minutes ago, JayD said:

Just removed the shock. The «linkage bushes» are at the lower part of the shock, right? That cylinder thing that you can take out, thats already a bit greasy?

Probably is, just asking to be sure. Im learning every day 😄

@JayD Yeah. Add more lithium grease. Good, “everyday is a School Day”.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, X Plane said:

@JayD Yeah. Add more lithium grease. Good, “everyday is a School Day”.

Thank you sir!

I saw you commented on another thread regarding suspension, so Ill go ahead and ask you another question about it here. Im 102 kg trimming down to 95 (so thats without gear). Usually dont bring passenger or luggage, but will do so every now and then. 90 or 95 nm spring? I have asked Rally Raid as well, but I like inputs from different people. Again, thanks, this forum is very helpful and I appreciate everything I learn from here!

Edited by JayD

• Premium Member
13 minutes ago, JayD said:

Thank you sir!

I saw you commented on another thread regarding suspension, so Ill go ahead and ask you another question about it here. Im 102 kg trimming down to 95 (so thats without gear). Usually dont bring passenger or luggage, but will do so every now and then. 90 or 95 nm spring? I have asked Rally Raid as well, but I like inputs from different people. Again, thanks, this forum is very helpful and I appreciate everything I learn from here!

90Nm.