Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Radiator Guard?

DaveT7

Has anyone had radiator damage because they have not installed a guard? 

• Moderators

In over 13K miles with about 40% of that dirt & gravel roads in AZ, no. I've looked at the over priced ones and decided when I really want one, I'll add some screen type material behind the oem radiator louvers. 

• Like 4

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

15 minutes ago, AZJW said:

In over 13K miles with about 40% of that dirt & gravel roads in AZ, no. I've looked at the over priced ones and decided when I really want one, I'll add some screen type material behind the oem radiator louvers. 

Pretty much my thoughts too. If I had a higher fender fitted I would fit something immediately. In the meantime I'll be on the lookout for something suitable to use. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AZJW said:

I concur. 

• Like 1

I spent many years as a sweep rider. During that time I saw quite a few punctured radiators.

I always carried quick metal to do trail-side repairs.

All damaged radiators lacked front protection.

I would strongly suggest fitting some sort of screen in front of the louvres.

Alcohol! No good story starts with a salad.

• 2 weeks later...

Not a super solid picture but it’s what I have on hand. I installed some black gutter guard behind my louvers when I first got the bike. Maybe $10ish for two sheets from Home Depot. Sturdy stuff and I haven’t had any issue with rocks dinging up my radiator. It’s not a hard DIY project and it doesn’t negatively impact the bike at all. Only parts needed were some sheet metal pliers, zip ties, and the guard itself.CAB44948-0785-4D44-A96D-8C27860410E1.png.38bd438739bace407607f51dc796ffa8.png

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, TheoremX said:

I installed some black gutter guard behind my louvers when I first got the bike.  Only parts needed were some sheet metal pliers, zip ties, and the guard itself.

Interesting...  How close to the radiator is the mesh, I assume it lays right on top?

2 hours ago, winddown said:

Interesting...  How close to the radiator is the mesh, I assume it lays right on top?

There is maybe a 1/4 - 1/2 inch gap. It did end up having a bit of room for impact, I haven’t taken anything significant to the radiator to assess its ability to stop objects. I took the build from another thread located deep in the parts and reviews tab I believe. If I had to guess, it feels like it could absolutely take on most rogue rocks. If a good poke from a solid tree branch can go through a boot, I’d assume that this DIY would not hold to the same level of stress. So far it’s kept my T7 from looking like my YZ radiator though lol.

Edited by TheoremX

14 hours ago, TheoremX said:

There is maybe a 1/4 - 1/2 inch gap. It did end up having a bit of room for impact, I haven’t taken anything significant to the radiator to assess its ability to stop objects.

I'm sure it would be better than nothing.  I have a roll of gutter guard here, it's quite narrow, I'd need like 3 overlapping runs across the radiator but because it's curvy off the roll It would sit well clear of the actual radiator.  I could also wire it to the louvers in the middle.  Food for thought.

Did you have to pull the louvers off to access the area?

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/20/2023 at 4:00 AM, winddown said:

I'm sure it would be better than nothing.  I have a roll of gutter guard here, it's quite narrow, I'd need like 3 overlapping runs across the radiator but because it's curvy off the roll It would sit well clear of the actual radiator.  I could also wire it to the louvers in the middle.  Food for thought.

Did you have to pull the louvers off to access the area?

Sorry for the late reply, I assume you probably already tried. Yes I had to remove the louvers, and I also zip tied the guard to them. Here’s a closer picA187A8BD-8400-4757-A8CB-9EF5D97D6E7C.jpeg.9e0c8778469a60cdaed84b05ab276479.jpeg

• Like 1

That's the classic "DuncMan Radiator Guard" - at least I think he was the first one to show it here.

I've done it by myself, using stainless steel mesh. This stuff is extremely sturdy, needs cutting with a Dremel or a similar tool, scissors don't work well on it.

Imho, the really big rocks are being stopped by the black fins, and smaller pebbles should be stopped by this mesh.

I haven't added anything to mine yet. If I feel the need or have the desire to add something it will likely be just an old school open mesh plastic gutter guard in front of the OEM plastic grills.  The enduro crowd has run that stuff for years and a lifetime supply roll of it costs $10.00.   I'll just have to find out where it is out in the shop.

Edited by Windblown

Fitted a Radguard guard from new, for the $200 au it’s cheap insurance, for my mind at least.