Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Sticky clutch after cold start?

wookee

Good morning,. I was just curious of others are experiencing this problem.  When I take off on the bike for the 1st time of the day, the clutch slips and makes a bit if a clattering sound.  Even if I warm the bike up, the 1st take off does this.  I'm assuming the plates are cold, but is this anything I need to be concerned about?  🍻

• Like 1

It wasn't me, but i read on another forum that a fella was having this issue too.  He said that he would give his clutch lever 2 squeezes before kicking it in gear to pull away smoothly.  If just squeezing the clutch and then kicking it in gear, it would chatter first time out for the day, but good after.  He said the cycling of the clutch lever seemed to make everything work.  I haven't run into this myself, but if it helps......!

• Thanks 2

The same thing happens to me from the first day. And it has 10,000 km and three oil changes (both semi and full synthetic) and remains the same.
And it doesn't depend on the ambient temperature either. The same thing happens with 25ºC as with 5ºC. It's annoying, but I've read that it's common on XTs.
What I usually do the first time I use the motorcycle in the day is to release the clutch by accelerating and using the brake at the same time, so that that first skid occurs with the motorcycle stopped.

• Like 1

Teneré 700 '20

WR250R '10

Not sure if this info helps, but I did read somewhere that using full synthetic oil that is overspec can result in clutch slippage. I've just changed my oils to such, so far no clutch issues.

• Like 1

This happens to me too, glad to know it’s not just me! First time I take off for the day and then never happens again. Happens at the start of every ride. 

3000 miles. 3 oil changes (2x regular during breakin and semi-syn oil since 600 miles). 

I’ll try the cycling the clutch lever trick. 

• Like 1

Found this reply on an mt 07 forum.

sdrio do you have an update to your problem? How did it go longer term? Has the issue come back? I am having that same problem. I think...

5 hours ago, gone2seed said:

Like a duck with a dry clutch

sorry

Yup! 

I have exactly the same problem.

It doesn't occur at every first start-up of the day. 

I can't really determine what the conditions have to be like so that it occurs. 

Strange.

But to try the lever cycling trick is a perfect reason to get the bike out event hough it's snowing ! 🤣

Edited by qInvention
  • Like 2

On 1/6/2021 at 6:50 AM, Johnnyboxer said:

When cold I don’t start my bike unless it’s in first gear 

I pull clutch in and press the starter & get a slight lurch 

I suspect the clutch has a fair bit of drag 

Me to, jump on it with engine off select gear and pull clutch in and rock the bike a bit , this releases the clutch then i start with clutch lever in, i do this to avoid the clunk on cold start up.

i heard that the original running in oil has to have at least a few hundred miles to bed everything in and using synthetic too early isn’t great.

i changed mine to synthetic after 500 miles and is ok.

i do this on every bike i e owned as want to avoid the heavier clunk in gear as the friction plates are partially stuck together, when warm its less of a clunk :))) too much mechanical sympathy!

Edited by Matth
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Hogan said:

2. What oil are you using? Correct grade? I would avoid fancy oils and just stick with basic mineral or synthetic oils. Many 'racing' oils will favor performance over rideability and even longevity. Cold engine clutch issues will be considered an acceptable trade off as these kind of oils aren't intended to be used on street bikes.

I think you are probably on to something with this theory. I was running Castrol 10-50 full syn after 600 mi. Changed again to Mobil 1 10-40 full syn at 1800mi and just did the 4000 mi service with Valvoline 10-40 full syn.  All oils were above spec and might be too slick for the clutch. My old KLR650 had this problem, so that's definitely a possibility. If I wasn't saving money for a full suspension upgrade, I'd probably use the excuse for a Recluse slipper clutch.  

• Like 2

In my case I have had the same "problem" both with the Yamalube semi-synthetic from the first oil change, and with the Motul 7100 full synthetic that I have already used several times since then.

The next step I am going to take is to disassemble the clutch discs, check and grease them well and check if any difference is noticed. I will comment here on the result.

Edit: Motul 7100 10W40 full synthetic (

7100 4T 10W-40 - Motul

)

Edited by Ol'crazy

Teneré 700 '20

WR250R '10

My guess (as I haven't taken the clutch cover off or clutch apart) is a sticking fiber (s). I've run Shell Rotella T, 15W40 non synthetic on all my bikes (including my MT10, except my WR and YZF) for as long as I can remember, and this is the first bike to 'grab' on first application when cold. Apparently it is common to the CP2 engine. Would like to find a cure, but not overly worried about it.

• Like 1

I think I have Yamaha disease...

• 1 month later...

Same issue WTF . I’ve had 30 or so bikes I my life and never had this issue . 1600 miles and still has the yamalube the dealership put in ( bought it used previous owner had the 6oo mile service done ) so don’t think it’s an oil thing . 
kind of alarming , feels like the dam sprocket  is stripped or something. 
anyone take bike back and ask about this ? 

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Same problem with me. Didn't start until I went up a tooth on counter sprocket, My FZ 7 (2017) has started doing this also at 15,000 miles.

Both bikes use Yamalube semi. I'm thinking clutch springs aren't heavy enough. Once motor warms everything is fine.

• 1 year later...

Well, it was getting worse, so I had my dealer take a look at my clutch. The clutch plate at each end of the clutch assembly was discolored and 

smelled burnt. Replaced all clutch plates and springs. So far so good. I'm sticking with Yamalube semi.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, thruster said:

I have the same slippage as others and it only started to happen after the sprocket change. 

Thats when mine started slipping but all the FZ 700's came with this sprocket stock. Mabe Yamaha doesn't want to make a

change because there's so many of these clutches out there. 

I've been comparing part numbers between T7 and YZF 7R and part numbers are different. Also onT7 there is now a superseded part # for bearing?

Old was93306-00106, new is 93306 -00105.

Hmmm , what bearing ?  And yes I had the same exact thing with mine !  After I finally convinced dealer to pull it ( thay replace the clutch pac). The outer and inner plate was black !!  Seemed fine after that but I believe … no I know somethings still not right .   It’s fine I’m reg use , but after maybe 5k I finally got bike in some slow speed sand and looses dirt and the the Clutch overheated immediately going alway after just a little abuse to keep the bike moving im the sand .  This is very concerning as I am planning a big baja trip .  Have not had a chance to bring g it back in yet .  Anyone elSe having that issue ?   Or anyone done At serious clutch slipping riding ? Isssues? 

I had several issues with my clutch, including this. I pulled the plates out and everything was completely dry. I soaked them in oil overnight, reassembled and it has been like a different bike for 4k miles now. Shifts like butter, no more noise when first taking off, nothing.

Yea, few others have said the same that’s what I planned to do , but figured with the warranty let them work on it ! 
what other issues did you have ?  My whole clutch pac was replaced t

and the cold issue gone , but still does not feel right and when used hard it goes away fast …. Must be something else going on !  Anyone else ride there t7 hard it serious dirt or sand ?? Isssues I assume 

thise built t7s we see in the videos doing insane Shet must have aftermarket clutches cause I know mine would not stand up to that Shet ( if I was capable of doing it lol ) 

My mechanic says that bearing has nothing to do with my issue. His question is why Yamaha off sets the last plate on both

ends and those are the ones that are heating up. I'll just ride and see what happens.

8 hours ago, Baja t7 said:

Yea, few others have said the same that’s what I planned to do , but figured with the warranty let them work on it ! 
what other issues did you have ?  My whole clutch pac was replaced t

and the cold issue gone , but still does not feel right and when used hard it goes away fast …. Must be something else going on !  Anyone else ride there t7 hard it serious dirt or sand ?? Isssues I assume 

thise built t7s we see in the videos doing insane Shet must have aftermarket clutches cause I know mine would not stand up to that Shet ( if I was capable of doing it lol ) 

It progressively got worse until around 10k miles and it started pulling a little in first sitting still. Thats when I pulled it apart and the plates had np oil on them at all and a few were stuck together.