Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Sticky clutch after cold start?

wookee

49 minutes ago, S.Ga.Rider said:

It progressively got worse until around 10k miles and it started pulling a little in first sitting still. Thats when I pulled it apart and the plates had np oil on them at all and a few were stuck together.

Slipping clutch when fully released and dragging whilst sitting in first are opposite ends of the clutch adjustment spectrum.

If slipping there is insufficient or no cable slack and the clutch can't fully engage.

If dragging there is too much cable slack and the clutch can't be completely disengaged.

Interested in what your clutch lever free-play was both cold and warm - and did you check it with bars at left and right full-lock?

33 minutes ago, Black99S said:

Slipping clutch when fully released and dragging whilst sitting in first are opposite ends of the clutch adjustment spectrum.

If slipping there is insufficient or no cable slack and the clutch can't fully engage.

If dragging there is too much cable slack and the clutch can't be completely disengaged.

Interested in what your clutch lever free-play was both cold and warm - and did you check it with bars at left and right full-lock?

The clutch cable was adjusted correctly. It didn't slip but always made some weird noises on the first take off when cold. My problem was dry plates. 

4 hours ago, S.Ga.Rider said:

The clutch cable was adjusted correctly. It didn't slip but always made some weird noises on the first take off when cold. My problem was dry plates. 

Will keep an eye on it. My bike is  22 model.

6E89A080-78EF-4722-8A37-E4FB8D99C4A0.jpeg

I've never had my Tenere do that at all. However, years ago, I had a Honda Nighthawk 750 and it would do that the first time it was started each day. Whether it was warm or cold, or had been sitting for a day or a week. The first shift out of neutral had a big clunk which would make the chain sort snap taught for a sec.

"What the hell's a 'farkle'? Oh... I... have all the farkles." 😑🤦🏻‍♂️

• 3 months later...

Hi everyone. 

On my T7 the clutch is quite sticky after startup. Basically you can feel that the clutch is not fully disengaging.

Then after the first 1-2 minutes of running it disenganges like it should and feels perfectly normal. (Because oil is getting there?) It's  less sticky if I rode the day before.

My bike is from 2019 with 39.000KM on it and has always done this. (Bought it used with 8.000KM).

I remember someone asking this on the german forum and people were saying it's the same for them.

But now I saw some posts of people finding dry clutch plates in their bike and I could immagine it's the same on mine.

So does anyone have this as well on their T7, and is it normal or not?

Thx 😀

Normal for most bikes I guess. Cold oil is more viscous, thus the clutch may not disengage perfectly.

I only notice it when engaging 1st gear immediately after startup.

After that, switching is no problem.

Have your checked your clutch cable tension? Maybe too lose? A little slack/free play is needed, but not more than 2mm or so. 

And, how old is your oil?

My oil is 8.000KM old and is getting changed soon.

I will probably have my clutch pack checked at the next service to be sure.

It feels more sticky than what I am used to on other bikes and seeing that it's a 2019 maybe it has dry plates as well...

But as soon as I ride 2min it feels normal. Before that I can feel when pulling in the clutch that it's not disengaing quickly but kind of sticking for a moment. 

Clutch cable seems fine, friction zone is far out from the handlebar.

Edited by OK185
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, OK185 said:

My oil is 8.000KM old and is getting changed soon.

I will probably have my clutch pack checked at the next service to be sure.

It feels more sticky than what I am used to on other bikes and seeing that it's a 2019 maybe it has dry plates as well...

But as soon as I ride 2min it feels normal. Before that I can feel when pulling in the clutch that it's not disengaing quickly but kind of sticking for a moment. 

Clutch cable seems fine, friction zone is far out from the handlebar.

OK, I don't have a similar sticky feeling on mine - having the clutch plates checked sounds like a good idea to me.

• 1 month later...

Hi,

Just changed my T7 2021 with 83000 km for a 2023 to avoid problem. With 4000 km on the new I definitively have sticky clutch plate. All adjustment to clutch cable are perfect. I changed oil at 1000 km for 10w -50 yamalube semi-synthetic as the concessionary recommandée me to finish brake in. Did not work ... Changed again at 4000 km for motul 7100 10w40.... No change. This make the motorcycle run for even with clutch pressed unless I forced uncoupling with brakes.... Not to say that most of the time when I try to switch gears... Its like the clutch is not pressed properly.  Concessionary said normal as new🤔😧. Going their again this week!!

As much as I loved the 2021, (and bough another 2923) I would now change anytime for something else...  If anybody find a solution for this issue, I would be glad to hear and try something!