Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Solution to center stand offroad?

Oxxa

Is there a solution to fix the centerstand into position offroad so it doesnt jump up and down and make noises?

What is a good idea to use that doesnt damage other stuff nearby

I use a 12" Nite Ize Gear Tie Reusable Rubber Twist Tie.     Twists on and off in seconds. When not is use on your bike it can be used 1000 different ways around camp.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Canuck8 said:

I use a 12" Nite Ize Gear Tie Reusable Rubber Twist Tie.     Twists on and off in seconds. When not is use on your bike it can be used 1000 different ways around camp.

This suggestion addresses the OP's question. I will give this a try before ditching my clanging-banging center stand.

22 minutes ago, Boondocker said:

This suggestion addresses the OP's question. I will give this a try before ditching my clanging-banging center stand.

I appreaciate the answer but I already tried tying the center stand but the forces are too large for any tie-down to hold tight. 

Today i ordered a trail stand, i’m going to remove the center stand

• Like 3

Well the only way to reduce the forces is to go with less mass,  why I went with an aluminum one, and a heavy spring. 

If all else fails I'd try a hose clamp. 

On a different bike that had a center stand I glued some rubber hose cut in half where it was making contact and it helped. 
I don’t have one on my T7 so I’m sure sure if that’s even an option. 

• Like 1

A mate cannot wait to put a centre stand on his GS850. I cannot wait to get a trailstand so I can get rid of mine. Pitty they aren't compatible. 

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, Toymaster said:

Well the only way to reduce the forces is to go with less mass,  why I went with an aluminum one, and a heavy spring. 

If all else fails I'd try a hose clamp. 

Im afraid i hit my center stand way too much down there aluminium would get quite some damage. Im going to try the trail stand route and see what happens.

The only time i need my center stand are to lube/clean the chain and to fix the bike in my garage. I dont know how i will clean/lube the chain without it but i guess i will learn

Edited by Oxxa

50 minutes ago, Oxxa said:

Im afraid i hit my center stand way too much down there aluminium would get quite some damage. Im going to try the trail stand route and see what happens.

The only time i need my center stand are to lube/clean the chain and to fix the bike in my garage. I dont know how i will clean/lube the chain without it but i guess i will learn

Paddock stand and bobbins

Mine, an SWmotech, takes a decent amount of force to get it moving.   It would be interesting to compare the force needed to lower the different brands out there. 

From the end of the riser.

WEIGHT.jpg.10c15d8994cb51675947e7304a150f70.jpg

Tieing it back wouldn't be an issue

WE.jpg.8554951952a9ff861a73bf0a94f87212.jpg

4 hours ago, Oxxa said:

Sounds like your use is better served with just a side stand.  Besides a paddock stand at your home, a trail stand would do the same thin, a trail stand is just not at sturdy and therefore a bit more risk the bike may fall over. 

Get a spring puller tool  ~$10.   All you have to do is remove the spring, and then the pivot bolts, one one each side.   Leave the frame brackets in place.  Really takes 5 min to remove or install the center stand.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09Y53PGMK?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, mpatch said:

On a different bike that had a center stand I glued some rubber hose cut in half where it was making contact and it helped. 
I don’t have one on my T7 so I’m sure sure if that’s even an option. 

Interesting method

6 hours ago, Toymaster said:

Sounds like your use is better served with just a side stand.  Besides a paddock stand at your home, a trail stand would do the same thin, a trail stand is just not at sturdy and therefore a bit more risk the bike may fall over. 

Get a spring puller tool  ~$10.   All you have to do is remove the spring, and then the pivot bolts, one one each side.   Leave the frame brackets in place.  Really takes 5 min to remove or install the center stand.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09Y53PGMK?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

Great idea for winter maintenance, another thing to buy, add to cart 🤷‍♂️😂

Edited by Oxxa

I think there are two rider groups offering opinions here.  Those that just ride moderate street and not too challenging dirt roads and those that go up gnarly stuff where it's bouncing all over the place.  As the former type of rider I have never had an issue with the center stand but I wouldn't have put it on if I rode the rough stuff.

• Like 1

On 4/8/2023 at 9:43 AM, Oxxa said:

For things like working on the bike and lubing the chain in the garage, I just use an offcut of log the right size. The trick is getting a log thats tall enough to have both wheels off the ground but low enough to be easy enough to lift a fairly heavy bike onto, maybe not so easy if you dont have access to a hany pile of logs at work, I suppose you could buy a proper bike stand...

IMG_20230410_173441_153.jpg

• Like 1

How in the world did you get it on that log?  I know I'm a wimp, but I can't see wrestling our 450lb T7 up there the same way that folks tilt up their motocross bikes.  Do you do this in combo with some hydraulic lift?

And what's the magic height for that Goldilocks log?

• Haha 1

Im dont consider myself particularly strong. I lift it from behind by the cross brace of the pannier racks, so maximum leverage and you're not really lifting the full weight of the bike, so its not too bad. So if you dont have racks like that, you may struggle. Would be much harder to lift like you say from the side, have tried it that way before and its hard work.

The log isnt cut very square, but its between 12 and 13 inches tall and thats with a SW Motech sump guard with a nice flat bottom, your goldilocks log may vary.

Each bike deserves its own dedicated log.

IMG_20230410_173548_827[1].jpg

• Haha 1

No waaaay, you have the original Tenere as well!!  That's super cool.

So you lift the rear end up (front brakes locked?) and then pivot it on top of the log?  I'll include that as part of my new exercise regimen 🙂 

I'm from San Francisco, but got to visit Oxford and a bit of the Cotswold and Wales last month.  You have such a beautiful country.  Would love to spin around your green lanes one of these days.

OP’s question seems pretty well answered… But, i ride one of my T7s 90% in what most would call difficult off road. Lots of sand so chain cleaning is necessary very often. OE yamaha center stand is fitted and I can attest to just letting it bounce around. No damage on anything. Other than my eardrums from the music i listen to. But that would be at a high decible anyway 😆

in the end, as long as your riding, everything is good. 

I ziptie my SW Motech centrestand to the pillion footpeg. It always worked for me.

On 4/12/2023 at 5:31 AM, RioRideNM said:

OP’s question seems pretty well answered… But, i ride one of my T7s 90% in what most would call difficult off road. Lots of sand so chain cleaning is necessary very often. OE yamaha center stand is fitted and I can attest to just letting it bounce around. No damage on anything. Other than my eardrums from the music i listen to. But that would be at a high decible anyway 😆

in the end, as long as your riding, everything is good. 

Well, in lots of sand you should not lube you chain at all.