Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Terrible experience with Acerbis products.

Oxxa

I bought the acerbis frame protectors and acerbis swing arm protector. Instead of protecting, they did the opposite.

Small rocks get inside and damage the paint which turns into rust.

Why do these products even exist?

anyone had similar experiences?

3EADD344-60A7-4BFB-A000-F4CE7C8698E9.jpeg

D9BB81C6-88AB-4C4F-9428-F4128D9B107E.jpeg

0C0B20DD-CA64-4171-9B9A-70ED76A8A1D2.jpeg

C1015E16-785D-43AE-9B05-DC6128B33A2A.jpeg

C5A2B130-F60E-437B-9E01-25BC8F23A8C0.jpeg

718D234D-2ECA-45AA-9F8C-7CE65C9F226E.jpeg

05EA00BD-0627-4141-A3AC-94F72BD28B42.jpeg

Edited by Oxxa
  • Sad 2

3 minutes ago, Alan M said:

It’s easier to repaint a swingarm than try and fix scrapes and gouges.

Yeah true might aswell keep it now. Except the frame guard, thats a goner. I will buy the ACD frame carbon sticker. Looks like it will do its job

Covers that are not completely glued and sealed to the underlying surface can cause wear and corrosion. This is especially true when the underlying surface is delicate. Covers were originally used as a quick way to dress up a ratty looking bike. Somewhere along the line folks got the bright idea to slap them on new bikes. Many learn as you have that they have draw backs.  

The left side frame on mine looks like this in a matter of 3 months and very little riding. By not bei g covered it doesnt trap mosisture and promote rust. I'll probably prep it and hit it with truck bed liner at some point. 

20230405_094804.jpg.1a8b9b90cdea5745eb9ade2bae4b79ec.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Oxxa said:

Yeah true might aswell keep it now. Except the frame guard, thats a goner. I will buy the ACD frame carbon sticker. Looks like it will do its job

I bought a set of the carbon sticker guards for a friend from rugged roads. They look good and certainly would offer protection from boot rub.

4 hours ago, Oxxa said:

Why do these products even exist?

Because people like to spet money on items they don't need.
I said it in some other topic, engine covers are just another layer to keep the heat in and airflow out plus they collect mud and what more to make it even worse.

Buy some crashbars and a skidplate that protect as much as they can and accept the bike will get scratched, if you can't accept that you should probably not going offroad and then you also can safe your money on the protection.
But that's just my 2 cents.

• Like 2

Bit late now, but you can just buy a roll of thickish protective clear vinyl and carefully cut out what you need to cover anywhere that might rub paint off. Have a look at the frame rails under the seat, its what Yamaha did themselves.

However, I do have the same Acerbis swingarm guards as you and I will be having a peek under them later to see if its done the same.

Avoid covers as much as possible...Or, take the covers off regularly to clean any debris collected behind them.  This is NOT the fault of Acerbis products.  I have frame and swingarm covers on my Husqvarna dirt bikes which I take off regularly.  I will not be putting any covers on the T7.

Edited by r1superstar

I have the Acerbis frame guards and have not had the same problems.  I do clean behind them if I have been riding in mud or sand.

That said, I like the idea of using PPF and might go that route.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, r1superstar said:

Avoid covers as much as possible...Or, take the covers off regularly to clean any debris collected behind them.  This is NOT the fault of Acerbis products.  I have frame and swingarm covers on my Husqvarna dirt bikes which I take off regularly.  I will not be putting any covers on the T7.

I like covers and i dont like taking them off regularly so i guess only option is to put helicopter tape under the covers?

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Hollybrook said:

I have the Acerbis frame guards and have not had the same problems.  I do clean behind them if I have been riding in mud or sand.

Ditto. They are great imho, offer more grip for my boots and prevent more abrasion then they might cause. I have no problems with them until now.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Hollybrook said:

What do you mean by PPF?

27 minutes ago, Oxxa said:

I like covers and i dont like taking them off regularly so i guess only option is to put helicopter tape under the covers?

Touch up paint and then clear tape or the like.  

1 hour ago, r1superstar said:

Touch up paint and then clear tape or the like.  

Yes thats my plan. Just ordered some helicopter tape

1 hour ago, Oxxa said:

What do you mean by PPF?

Paint Protection Film, many people use 3M brand.

45 minutes ago, JB700 said:

Even cheap black electrical tape will do to cover the frame, under the covers

I have used duct tape in the past.

1 hour ago, r1superstar said:

I have used duct tape in the past.

Probably terrible residue after removing the duct tape

16 hours ago, Oxxa said:

Probably terrible residue after removing the duct tape

WD-40 removed most adhesive residue.

• Like 1