Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Do you miss Gizmos?

DaveT7

Having never had a bike with anything fancier than heated grips, I am pleased with my choice of plain & simple T7. Its simplicity is a big part of its attraction. That said, do you miss the driver modes, throttle control, traction control, gizmos etc etc that are available on bikes by other manufacturers?

I'm only slightly curious about cruise control but I've lived without it this long, I thing I can continue just as happily without it. 

• Like 1

No

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

We are all tattooed in our cradles with the beliefs of our tribe

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

I can't miss stuff I never had! The T7 is my wet-dream of modern simplicity 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Cruise control is the only thing I wish the T7 had and it’s something that you can’t easily add. 

• Like 7

Whenever I get to borrow a friend's KTM, Ducati, Triumph or whatever bike, the riding modes and all the other adjustments just add to the confusion. There's definitely a period at the start where you just can't enjoy the bike and just focus on the riding.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, mpatch said:

Cruise control is the only thing I wish the T7 had and it’s something that you can’t easily add. 

Ditto.

Traction control is, as all keep saying, built into your right wrist.

Our engine has supremely smooth power delivery, and electronic traction control to fix a jerky engine is simply not needed.

• Like 3

Agree with all that. Love simplicity. Although I wouldn’t mind and area (maybe a box behind the engine where the charcoal filter is ) to keep a pasty warm.  Or a pain au chocolat for the Europeans. 🤔

• Haha 2

By the time the gizmo guys are ready with the setting i already finished the trail.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I have a bike with CC and love it on long boring stretches of interstate  when traffic is very light. Haven't ridden the T700 on day long stretches of boring roads so it's not missed at this point.

I have a bike with very good traction control and it's kind of cool to have.  Sometimes in cold wet or icy conditions I'll crank it up.  Otherwise I don't think about it much. The T700 has such a mellow power delivery it's simply doesn't need it. 

I have a bike with on and offroad ABS and it is awesome. I leave it in offroad ABS 100% of the time. I accomplished the same thing on the T700 by bypassing the ABS for the rear brake. 

Electronics are cool but I have all the electronics I need on the T700 for how I'm using it I reckon.

Edited by Windblown
  • Like 3

Nope, not at all, I love the T7’s simplicity, however I have added a kaoko ( spelling ? ) friction cruise control for motorway use, perfect !!

Edited by Spelldrummer
  • Like 4

Cruse control I have on my bmw sports bike, it's ok, but it tends to make me relax too much, if I'm riding I like the total 'there' feeling.  I use it though but I turn it off in hilly or even mild corner territory.  As soon as you lean the bike over the engine chops power momentarily, obviously it senses the wheel accelerating.  All in all it's useful but I haven't done any long rides on the highway yet so I don' t miss it on the tenere yet.

• Like 1

I imagine if they had put it on the T7 too many people would engage it on a twisty dirt road and then go off with the fairies.   It speaks more to the intended purpose of the bike than anything else I think.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, winddown said:

I imagine if they had put it on the T7 too many people would engage it on a twisty dirt road and then go off with the fairies.   It speaks more to the intended purpose of the bike than anything else I think.

Good point.

Coming from a Super Tenere the one luxury I miss is the integrated brakes. I really enjoyed not using rear brake pedal. I did go through rear brake pads and rotors faster but

it was worth it.

• Like 1

The T7 is my most modern bike. Before this one, I never had dual front discs, abs, effective headlights, watercooling, ...

• Like 1

22 hours ago, qInvention said:

The T7 is my most modern bike. Before this one, I never had dual front discs, abs, effective headlights, watercooling, ...

Ha ha. ...been there, done that. One bike I regret selling back in the day is my XR500

On 4/9/2023 at 4:33 AM, mcbrien said:

Coming from a Super Tenere the one luxury I miss is the integrated brakes. I really enjoyed not using rear brake pedal. I did go through rear brake pads and rotors faster but

it was worth it.

Linked brakes are best left for Road bikes 😄 

I say that as someone who loves them for the ability to trail brake and lessen the effect of brake dive!

2 hours ago, Danrides said:

Linked brakes are best left for Road bikes 😄 

I say that as someone who loves them for the ability to trail brake and lessen the effect of brake dive!

Thats why there's a ABS switch.

The simplicity is great, but I did add cruise control. And it's far nicer than the throttle lock it replaced. 

I do wish that the rear ABS was a toggle switch that so it could be switched off when off road rather than remembering each time you re start.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sracer said:

The simplicity is great, but I did add cruise control. And it's far nicer than the throttle lock it replaced. 

I do wish that the rear ABS was a toggle switch that so it could be switched off when off road rather than remembering each time you re start.

So wishes everybody I think...

As far as I know, it's because of European law: Every new bike needs ABS, and it mustn't be deactivated permanently. Sorry for our stupid laws again affecting the rest of the world.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Nope, do not miss any of the gizmos! It is the simplicity of the T7 that has had major appeal.

More the tech, more the headache when something doesn't work right. That many more systems to check or have checked, that many more components of electrical wizardry running around the bike.

• Like 2

Meet BigBlu - 2022 Tenere 700 | Yamaha OEM chain guide | Yamaha OEM crash guard | Givi Rear luggage rack | Givi BN42 top box | Black Widow 300mm Hexagonal exhaust | Acerbis High Fender | Windscreen risers | ProTaper Evo low handlebar | Oxford Integrated heated grips | Upshift Retro Speedblock Blue graphic kit | QuadLock wireless charger | BarkBuster Storm Handguards | Mitas E07+ rear tyre | Shinko E804 front tyre | MotoMount Radar screamer & LED visual alert | Custom half tail tidy kit |

On 4/11/2023 at 3:04 PM, Tenerider said:

So wishes everybody I think...

As far as I know, it's because of European law: Every new bike needs ABS, and it mustn't be deactivated permanently. Sorry for our stupid laws again affecting the rest of the world.

I think if a real poll of all riders was taken we'd find that something like 80% of miles are done of the highway and other blacktop roads.  Here ABS isn't a problem, and can be a boon.  If I turn it off when I start the bike what does it matter I don't have a toggle switch, But if I forget to turn it "On" and head off down a slippery wet road, Well I could be in trouble hey.   I road for 40 years without it, you just go slower in bad weather and on suss roads but in all that time I never dropped a bike because of brake lockup.  To me ABS is like an smartphone on my bars, I can live without it.

• Like 1