Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Seat concepts seat, woth the money?

Mutt

Curious to hear from the people who have put a seat concept seat on their T7 and  if they feel it was worth the money. I'm 6'2", 220lbs and am currently using a Colman seat cover and an air hawk. This combination does the trick for me, gives me the extra leg room and better comfort. I am thinking of picking up a comfort tall but for over $600 Canadian it needs to be a lot better than my current set up. Worth it or not?

• Moderators

@Mutt. Here's a review from the Parts & Upgrades sub forum. Moving this thread from General Discussion for better visibility. 

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

I have started using a 3d mesh seat cover,

in uk they are sold as "comfy covers" and loads on ebay, amazon or Ali. from what i seen online they are very common in the eastern part of the world as scooter seat covers

I found it excellent and don't see need spend any more than this setup

1 - removes pressure point

2 - stops water gathering in crotch

3 - airflow in summer

4 - cheap 

68D7B529-28A5-4487-A7C2-B19AD1A4A8EB.jpeg.bca7dbbfd548845412e6c24d4f6cea47.jpeg

Edited by john_aero

• Members

I have a Low one that I bought over a year ago and never tested.  Threw it on last weekend and went for a 4 hour ride.  It's more comfortable than stock, but even though it's lower, I found it harder to get a foot down, since it's wider than stock.  Instead of just dropping a leg and sliding down, I had to intentionally shift my ass to the side I was dropping the foot.  I need to post it for sale, as I will deal with the stocks lack of comfort.    The seat being lower also messed up my handlebar ergonomics.

That said, Seat Concepts makes a great product.  I have one on my WR250R that has over 30K miles on it.

Standard one was on my bike when I bought it.  I am very similar size to you.  I have found that when I am riding actively, I don't even notice it, but for an hour or two on the highway I can feel some discomfort, mostly pressure points where my thighs touch the corner of the seat.  I can't really compare it to anything though because I haven't tried the stock seat.  I have a big ride coming up that should tell me a bit more about the on road comfort.

• 2 weeks later...

I have tried the standard seat, the 3d mesh cover and a Seat Concepts T700 Comfort seat, std height.  I'm 6'0" and about 240 lbs (1.8 m, 105 KG).

The std seat was the worst.  Giving me severe arse-itis (sore arse) after about 2-3 hours in the saddle.

The 3d thing added about 30 minutes to the ride time, but also made the seat slightly higher and wider.

The Seat Concepts lengthened the time in saddle before arse-itis to about 5-6 hours.

Times are Adventure riding, so ride for 90-120 minutes, stop for a break, ride again, stop etc.

To me, the Seat Concepts is narrow were I want it to be, but has a very aggressive step from narrow to wide and this step can irrate the insides of my legs as the step happens right where I want to spend most of my time sitting.

As a comparison (for me) I have a Renazco rally seat on my KTM 640 Adventure and I have ridden that 800kms in a day (10-11 hours) with no problems what so ever.  If they weren't so expensive to get original seat Australia --> USA, seat build, get seat back from USA that is what I would be looking at for the T7.

I got the seat concepts one piece when they first launched, it was much worse than the stock seat for me. Not sure if it was the first round, though the seat pan didn't seat properly on the bike and the front had a huge gap. It was tough to get on, and the way the foam was cut sort of only allowed one seating position with a weird drop on the thighs which added pressure. I got the gripper top, which made moving around even harder, just too much friction. After 2hrs of riding, I was sore and on long rides couldn't wait to get off it. 

Ended up selling it after a few rides and got the OEM Rally seat, which is much better. Fits perfect, has more storage, and the material has great grip yet allows movement. The foam isn't perfect, comfort is similar to the stock one, though I may take it to a re-upholstery places to get it properly fitted or send it to Renzaco racing next winter. For refrence, I'm 6ft tall, 34" inseam and 180lbs

Also in Canada. and I did get the rally seat new from a vendor in the US on eBay, got it in a 2 days and for much less than the seat concepts seat. Canadian Yamaha dealers for some reason charge almost double for it, not sure why. 

Edited by ScorpionT16
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, ScorpionT16 said:

I got the seat concepts one piece when they first launched, it was much worse than the stock seat for me. Not sure if it was the first round, though the seat pan didn't seat properly on the bike and the front had a huge gap. It was tough to get on, and the way the foam was cut sort of only allowed one seating position with a weird drop on the thighs which added pressure. I got the gripper top, which made moving around even harder, just too much friction. After 2hrs of riding, I was sore and on long rides couldn't wait to get off it. 

Ended up selling it after a few rides and got the OEM Rally seat, which is much better. Fits perfect, has more storage, and the material has great grip yet allows movement. The foam isn't perfect, comfort is similar to the stock one, though I may take it to a re-upholstery places to get it properly fitted or send it to Renzaco racing next winter. 

I too had no luck with the one piece Seat Concepts standard height which I bought as part of the group buy here in (I think) 2021. Contrary to their claim, it was at least 1/2" taller than the OEM seat which mattered to me with my inseam when stopped, my butt went numb within 30 miles on every ride with the SC seat and like yours it was hard to fit on the bike. Was glad to sell it onward after a two week trial.

• 3 weeks later...

I have the low "comfort" seat and have to say I'm not impressed.  I was able to spend a couple of hours on the bike before my butt got soar with the stock seat, so far with the low comfort seat I've been able to spend about an hour and half before the the butt got soar.  Maybe I need to get some more seat time in to get the seat broke in.  I've bought a gel pad to have an upholstery shop install it but am not convinced that will cure the soar butt and don't want to spend good money after bad... 

Put a rally seat on mine the other day, for the 100 or so kms I did it feels much better than stock and improved ergonomics for me too. Wanted a concepts but the rally was around  half the price. 

I need to add to my last post.  Saturday I went for a ride, about 3 hours, at the end I couldn't wait to get off the bike.  This morning I decided to go for another ride and couldn't last 2 hours.  I have bought some get to put in the seat by an upholstery shop but don't know if I want to spend more money on this already too expensive seat and not have a good outcome.  I really want to do some multi day or even multi week rides but if I can't do more than 2 or three hours that's just not going to happen... 

• Like 1

I appreciate the input. I think I'll stick to my air hawk for now, doesn't look like spending $600 is worth it.