Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Front Tire removal- ABS sensor?

Mike Kansas
Go to solution Solved by Canzvt,

In watching videos about removing the front wheel- should the right side caliper be removed? Should the abs sensor be removed? If so how? Never pulled the front tire before. 

• Solution

You can remove either caliper (2 x M8 bolts). You just need to remove one in order to get the tire to clear the gap. It can be easier to remove both calipers, as you can get the axle installed then install the calipers as it can be a bit tricky to do it all at once. You do not have to remove the ABS pick-up sensor.

I think I have Yamaha disease...

Do I need to remove the front ABS sensor before I remove the front wheel? If so, how?

• Moderators

@Mike Kansas No, not necessary. Loosen the axle pinch bolts, remove caliper bolts ( I pull the left side), spin out the axle with a hex or sparkplug socket turned around and the wheel is out.

• Like 2

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

1 hour ago, Mike Kansas said:

Do I need to remove the front ABS sensor before I remove the front wheel? If so, how?

You can and it's very easy:

The red screw holds the sensor cover and the sensor in place. I never tried, but it should be sufficient to remove this one only.

20230411_180138.jpg.85c5411dddcbc6f57ba891ca8c1c02e9.jpg

Alternatively, remove also the lower fork guard.

Yellow shows the ABS sensor cable, which is attached behind the fork guard with another screw.

If you're careful when reinstalling the wheel, you don't need to remove the sensor imho. Damage can only occurc if the left-hand disk hits it accidentally when putting the wheel in place.

• Like 1

As mentioned you do not need to remove the sensor, but I always do.

It is easy to hit or damage the sensor on removal or more commonly reinstallation.  The couple of minutes or less I spend removing it I consider well spent as I know I wont's catch it with the wheel or rotor and break that plastic piece.

I also do this on the rear to be safe as well.

• Like 5

I have always been told to remove the ABS sensor to prevent damage. I do so about half the time as sometimes, removing the sensor just makes things easier to remove/fit. Really just depends on how you are feeling.

as far as removal, it is one little bolt and plastic cap so super easy to remove and put back on. And really, removal is not needed, it can be loosened to create more space. 

AF46820D-55E0-41F6-B18C-109B1F97D8E3.jpeg

• AZJW changed the title to Front Tire removal- ABS sensor?

I always remove the ABS sensor and the left calliper.

I remove the sensor to eliminate any chance of damage ( rear as well ) and removing the calliper greatly speeds up refitting the wheel.

• Like 1

Alcohol! No good story starts with a salad.

Team thanks for the information, it’s off and back together. Test ride tomorrow. 

• 1 month later...