Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Which panniers?

Rider5

Hi i wonder if someone can help me to select which panniers to buy i have Acerbis Rear rack and Outback side rack, cant afford Mosko or Criega just wondering what are the budget Rack or rackless panniers iam planning 10 days trip to scotland which includes camping gears. 

will appreciate your inputs.

I’ve bought a set of these to throw over the back part of the saddle - 

not tried them yet

2CB366F5-D4CE-4281-9C43-9103934DBF8B.jpeg

• Like 1

@Rider5 , check out Lomo, you can kit your whole bike out for bugger all almost. I have a waterproof daysack, and some bags. I put my large 40 litre bag across the panniers ands seat and it has a full length roll down for access. They cost pennies and are as good as any “name” manufacturer for bags. They even do waterproof throw over panniers but they might not last as long as some others. 

Motorcycle-dry-bags-2.jpg

Motorcycle dry bags, holdalls and other motorbike products. Multi use dry bags for bikers.

Edited by Dougie
  • Like 1

• Moderators
4 hours ago, Rider5 said:

Hi i wonder if someone can help me to select which panniers to buy i have Acerbis Rear rack and Outback side rack, cant afford Mosko or Criega just wondering what are the budget Rack or rackless panniers iam planning 10 days trip to scotland which includes camping gears. 

will appreciate your inputs.

Welcome to the forum. Searching "Panniers" under Parts & Upgrades yielded this result. Lots of good information already posted there.

https://www.tenere700.net/search/?q=Panniers&quick=1&type=forums_topic&nodes=59

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

Look at the Adventure Spec Magadan panniers MK3, they are going for $349 for the panniers only. Get a couple of sea to summit lightweight dry bags (the ones adventure spec sells are overkill) but the panniers themselves are pretty water resistant- took 2 days of heavy rain to get them to leak without dry bags. They have all kinds of pouches and bottle holders that you can add as you go. Pretty rugged, I’ve got the MK2 version and like them a bunch but would love to have the MK3’s.

Adventure%20Spec%20Magadan%20Panniers%20

The Adventure Spec Magadan Panniers are strong and waterproof with a total capacity of 70 litres. They feature 1000D Codrura fabric and removable dry bags. .

Where are you based mate? Some millitary surplus shops might have ten liter pouches that you could modify to attach to your racks using a plastic backer's cut from 25liter oil drums.You could get yourself set up for under £100 with a bit of ingenuity and some basic tools.

Yeah to be fair, with those racks you can use anything. In an emergency, even just strap dry bags to both racks, and tent/roll mat/chair across the back. 

The Nelson Rigg Deluxe adventure pannier are good also, they are $215 but a little smaller then the Magadans.

I believe adventure spec is a UK company. 
Nelson Rigg is a USA company.

Thank you guys fo you inputs i've bought kriega OS Base 36 thought about to buy budget panniers but i knew i will end up buying kriega 

• Like 1

Ive also purchased the Kriega OS base with 2 x 18 ltr bags. Last night I saw a video of a Tenere owner who showed the weight of his bags (also Kriega OS base) had damaged the rear plastic piece on the bike, where the bags rest on. I’m not referring to cosmetic damage but actually snapping off the screwed mounting points in a couple of places.

I’m surprised as I have never heard of before. There seems to be a large portion of the community using rackless  systems that sit directly against the bike. Is this a one off? Does this happen with other rackless systems (Enduristan. Mosko Moto etc)? Has anyone else heard of this or had a similar experience?

Budget options and reviews seem very good on these

- 21brothers

- Redmamut

- Lomo

Tusk Highland X2 or the Tusk Pilot are good budget options. I use the Mosko 80 and a friend rides with the Tusk brand. He is totally happy with his purchase and spent alot less than I did. Long term durability had yet to be determined.

No i have Rear rack not the side rack and i cant fit Kriega OS base with top rack side handel obstruct . i will get side rack but i dont like wide side rack was checking outback make narrow side rack 

23 minutes ago, Rider5 said:

No i have Rear rack not the side rack and i cant fit Kriega OS base with top rack side handel obstruct . i will get side rack but i dont like wide side rack was checking outback make narrow side rack 

This is about as narrow as you can get with hoops, (Andystrapz) but there are obviously the flat versions too. My OS18s go straight on  image.jpg.0fa907d3fa95e5e5870c08837babc3b9.jpg

image.jpg

just checked cant get Andystrapz here in UK

Outback UK does 

Total width of the asymmetrical pannier racks: 55cm

Edited by Rider5