Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Quick release luggage rack- for real

NeilW

I was at a motorcycle show in Portland Oregon this weekend and SW Motech showed me their new quick release luggage rack with their new quick release waterproof soft luggage. 
Many people in this forum have complained that when the don’t need their luggage they still have a wide rear end from the rack. 
Sw Motech has your solution. 
four 1/2 turn fasteners and your luggage rack is off. 

I don’t have one yet but I will soon, and advise on it. You can check it out on their site. Just search in luggage for the Tenere 700

2 hours ago, NeilW said:

Many people in this forum have complained that when the don’t need their luggage they still have a wide rear end from the rack. 

You have a fair point and the SW Motech solution is great, but…………..

How many nuts and bolts hold the average pannier racks on the bike and how long does it take to remove the rack (or put it back on) ?

probably 4 bolts and probably less than 5 minutes. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Alf Meister said:

You have a fair point and the SW Motech solution is great, but…………..

How many nuts and bolts hold the average pannier racks on the bike and how long does it take to remove the rack (or put it back on) ?

probably 4 bolts and probably less than 5 minutes. 

Point well made.  The quick release rack is specifically designed for their new line of panniers. If you like SW Motech and Like their new panniers, then you get the extra bonus feature of quick release. fyi they have a locking release for one of the four bolts as a safety feature if you are concerned about someone borrowing and not returning your luggage. 

I had the SW Motech Evo quick release racks on my Super Tenere, but did not like their quick release Pro side racks made from stamped metal vs tubing for the T7...am currently using the Giant Loop quick release mounts for soft or hard bags with modified Dirt Racks Heavy Duty Soft Bag racks at only 20" width between them (about the same as my front crash bars) that dble as rear crash bars & provide a solid grip when moving or lifting the bike.  

20190408_152923.jpg

GL-Pannier-Mount-Pair-2019-copy-1.jpg

20230424_123520.jpg

Personally I really like have "crash bars" on the rear. I have dropped many many times and have crashed 1x onto the side. The OEM panier racks haven't budged. But not everyone wants permanent ( well take off when you want to but wrenching required) racks.  Kind of have racks when you want your large luggage and off - like 45 seconds- when you don't . Not for everyone. just bringing them up as an option that I have not seen before.

I’d see where they would come in handy. Heavy luggage on a long distance  European holiday/trip, staying in one area for a few weeks. Get there loaded, remove it into the tent/lodge/hotel, carry on playing nice and light. Bang it back on to go home. 

2 minutes ago, Dougie said:

I’d see where they would come in handy. Heavy luggage on a long distance  European holiday/trip, staying in one area for a few weeks. Get there loaded, remove it into the tent/lodge/hotel, carry on playing nice and light. Bang it back on to go home. 

BINGO !

• Like 1