Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

What’s your next bike going to be?

ninot7

How long have you had the Tenere 700 for and how long are you intending on keeping it?

If changing, what’s your next bike gonna be?

i have my WR for 7 months and hypothetically want to keep it for 7 years! 

that’s challenge to myself…we’ll see. 

I love paid for motor toys.  Ill keep my bikes until they fall apart.  They are all yamaha's so, Ill be keeping them for a LONG time.  

• Like 3

Well, i keep my bikes longer then my girlfriends ...

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

I tend to get the itch at the 80,000 mile mark. Currently at 17,000 so for a long time. Met a fellow with 122,000 so far and was still lovin it.

I think it was long haul Paul but he was gassing up and I didn't want to hold him up. The future of motorcycling looks pretty bleak to me

so I have no  plans . Its all going to turn into electric scooters( if it doesn't shift gears it's a scooter).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mcbrien said:

I tend to get the itch at the 80,000 mile mark. Currently at 17,000 so for a long time. Met a fellow with 122,000 so far and was still lovin it.

I think it was long haul Paul but he was gassing up and I didn't want to hold him up. The future of motorcycling looks pretty bleak to me

so I have no  plans . Its all going to turn into electric scooters( if it doesn't shift gears it's a scooter).

Don’t worry about it. We’ll have synth within ten years at every pump. Eleccy is fine for some things, commuting etc. But in uk we’ve already got a squad of MPs declaring the safe future of liquid fuels. It’s because the toffs have classic cars, not because of us bikers. But at least for once we agree. Even the king’s Aston runs on bio. 

Brought the T7 home September 22, currently at 2.5k; with the winter months being a drag. I tend to modify my bikes and sell them after 5 years, however the T7 is a keeper. 

Whats changed of late is our current view on climate and energy. It’s beginning to look like the 15-20 years are the golden ticket of performance without the massive acquiescence to emissions and catalytic converter warming. If we could only catalyze the emissions from that pesky volcano in Ecuador or all those Chinese coal plants.

Of course you’re going to defy natural law and save a planet, you’re God.

Old man rant got me again…

Already picked up my next bike and it’s a hoot too, a 22 MT09. Just getting the MT past 1k and while it does need some help with the suspension, it’s a great bike and it was under 9k$. The MT will join the T7 and my 17 Mustang in the keep them forever stable mainly because of emissions, inflation and my old age. 

IMG_0179.jpeg

• Like 2

I have my name on a wait-list for a Honda Transalp, but it doesn't look like North America will get them this year.

I am a bit turned off by all the electronic gizmos it is said to have, and what I didn't see on it was tubeless tires or self canceling turn signals (both I had hoped for), as it is more street oriented.

How can you design a sickening fancy electronic dash that pair's with your phone to alert you of phone calls, messages, traffic alerts, weather conditions, biometric erectile dysfunctions, ect.... but not add self canceling turn signals?

We will see if anything changes by next year....

I also asked about a Honda CT125 Trail, but there is a wait for them too, and they are not making them in Red anymore for North America.

Maybe I can find a used Red one if a am lucky.

Honda seems to have lost its way.....

I will keep the T7 until I pass as I still love it! I am blessed with room and the means to have a small collection of my past bikes.

• Like 1

We are all tattooed in our cradles with the beliefs of our tribe

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

id like a 250-350 enduro or a trial bike to practice my slow riding and tech riding 

other than that i also have other hobbies taking my money and time

2 hours ago, Hibobb said:

I have my name on a wait-list for a Honda Transalp, but it doesn't look like North America will get them this year.

I am a bit turned off by all the electronic gizmos it is said to have, and what I didn't see on it was tubeless tires or self canceling turn signals (both I had hoped for), as it is more street oriented.

How can you design a sickening fancy electronic dash that pair's with your phone to alert you of phone calls, messages, traffic alerts, weather conditions, biometric erectile dysfunctions, ect.... but not add self canceling turn signals?

We will see if anything changes by next year....

I also asked about a Honda CT125 Trail, but there is a wait for them too, and they are not making them in Red anymore for North America.

Maybe I can find a used Red one if a am lucky.

Honda seems to have lost its way.....

I will keep the T7 until I pass as I still love it! I am blessed with room and the means to have a small collection of my past bikes.

So would the Transalp replace your T7 or be in addition to it?

5 minutes ago, DT675 said:

So would the Transalp replace your T7 or be in addition to it?

I will keep the T7 until I pass (croak) as I still love it!

• Like 1

We are all tattooed in our cradles with the beliefs of our tribe

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

Is this thread just for replacing the T7 or just "the next bike"?  If the latter, I'll back this post's time line up by a couple months because my next bike was/is a 2017 Yamaha FJ09.  I'm interested in a little more traveling so the FJ replaced my beloved Triumph Street Triple 675 that was a GREAT bike but not so good of a traveler.  My history says about 3 years is my average for keeping a bike.  In 3 years I usually have an idea of a replacement rolling around in my mind and eventually I make the switch.  In the case of my T7- that I'm going into my 4th riding season on, I have zero thoughts of replacing it. Not 1%.  After a couple short rides on the FJ (which has a stupidly powerful abrupt low RPM torque curve) I thought my T7 would seem a little boring/ underpowered.  Nope!  It still thrills me!

For some odd reason though lately I keep thinking about the new Yamaha XR150L's coming to North America... Sometimes little bikes are very cool.

• Like 1

And now for something completely different… 

(Or at least when it makes the budget)

IMG_2689.jpeg

• Like 2

The more I ride my T7 the more I like it. I kept my (plated) KTM 450 EXC from 2007 to 2019. The T7 has shown me how much fun going long distances with my gear on the road can be, maybe I need a big road eater? And it has also shown me the limitations of a heavy bike in the dirt. A WR250 would be more fun for off-road riding! How to explain to my wife that this "do it all" bike has shown me that I might need three bikes? For now I'll concentrate on the do it all concept.

• Like 3

I have had many machines over the Years, and working in the business, a lot of it with Yamaha, I cannot remember how many machines I have ridden, free usually ( lucky me ) and often paid to do so ( even luckier me... ) and as I rode all these bikes, my memory of the 'stand out' machines is strong, so in 2020 when I test rode the T7 for the first time, I distinctly remember thinking what an amazingly 'together' bike it was. I was hugely impressed by the feel, chassis, and feel oof the engine, I had to have one.

Nearly Three Years later, I still love the bike, I have fitted a few things to imporove it for me, centre stand ( H&B German Quality at it's best ) Garmin Zumo XT, Kaoko ( ? ) cruise control, Touratech Grab Bars, Akrapovic Silencer and the Rally Version Skid Plate,oh, and GIVI crash bars with Givi 2Litre bar bags.

All this points to a long term relationship, I cant see anything else I would rather have on the market, I don't need any more power, It Tours, it bimbles around the lanes in Summer, it travels off road better than me.... 

I have also ridden from the UK to through France to Spain and back a couple of times, and when I look at the bike now, when at home, I do get a sense of 'trusted friend', and remember sitting have cold Beers after long Days touring, and I am emotionally quite attached to it, I can go anywhere, reliably and in style..

I think given my advancing Years, I am a Young 61, so I guess it could be with me until I kick the bucket, who knows ?

Well done Yamaha.

Edited by Spelldrummer
Added comment
  • Like 5

Not sure but what ever it is it will likely be a +n. 

I don't currently have a thumper in the stable which is very unusual for me. Two I haven't owned are a WR250R and a KTM500.  A used example of one or the other  may well be my next purchase. 

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, Windblown said:

Not sure but what ever it is it will likely be a +n. 

I don't currently have a thumper in the stable which is very unusual for me. Two I haven't owned are a WR250R and a KTM500.  A used example of one or the other  may well be my next purchase. 

Having extensively ridden and wrenched on a KTM 500EXC, I've owned a Beta 520RS for nearly 10 years.  If you're wanting a dead reliable, great handling thumper, you might want to add the larger Betas to your short list. Beta Demo Days are where a lot of team orange riders get converted. 

Find your nearest Beta motorcycle dealer Beta motorcycle dealers nationwide

Oh, on topic, both our T7's appear to be occupying a spot in the garage for a long time to come, so don't you worry Cory. 😉

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

The Tenere 700 will be staying for a while and will only be replaced by a another T7. But the FZ09 might get replaced by a MT10. 

My T7 has 30 miles on it and now we want to discuss what's next???  Really?

Ok, I'll bite...

BMW F900 XR AND a Suzuki DRZ400 with fuel injection and 6th gear.

I think that would be a nice pair....   

"ADV  ONE DROP AT A TIME " - Chronicles of Solid

Im getting another bike? lol Im happy with my t7, 450l and bonneville. I have kicked around the idea of an older twin sport bike like a rc51 or tl1k just to have but I keep repeating I dont need 4 bikes, I dont need 4 bikes.... lol

• Like 1

So, first off, every person (ie: man) NEEDS 4 bikes. End of story! Don't let your S.O. convince you otherwise. You have MY SUPPORT!!

As for the RC51, unless you are under 50, have a good back, knees and shoulders, stay away. Sold mine after 6000 kms of pain and agony. Absolutely loved it, but my body didn't. Had a MINT '04 Nicky Hayden with tons of tasteful mods starting with Arrow pipes and basically had to give it away 2 years later. Traded it for an MT10 which I rode for 2 years and had to sell that too, as I was going to lose my life or license. That throttle is addicting! 3rd and 4th gear power wheelies are a hoot, until they aren't. Good luck on your 4th bike!

• Like 1

I think I have Yamaha disease...

4 hours ago, S.Ga.Rider said:

Im getting another bike? lol Im happy with my t7, 450l and bonneville. I have kicked around the idea of an older twin sport bike like a rc51 or tl1k just to have but I keep repeating I dont need 4 bikes, I dont need 4 bikes.... lol

That’s a nice trio! 

• Like 1

So far, the only time I have changed motorcycles is when I have seen something better than what I was riding. 

Now that I have a T7, not sure there is going to be anything else that will look like a viable upgrade for a do anything & everything motorcycle.

Maybe if the "Unicorn" 400/500 lightweight twin-cylinder adventure motorcycle with similar or better bells & whistles than the T7 appears one day, then that would be my next upgrade.

But a 2nd motorcycle alongside the T7 would have to be a street-legal WR450. 

• Like 2

Meet BigBlu - 2022 Tenere 700 | Yamaha OEM chain guide | Yamaha OEM crash guard | Givi Rear luggage rack | Givi BN42 top box | Black Widow 300mm Hexagonal exhaust | Acerbis High Fender | Windscreen risers | ProTaper Evo low handlebar | Oxford Integrated heated grips | Upshift Retro Speedblock Blue graphic kit | QuadLock wireless charger | BarkBuster Storm Handguards | Mitas E07+ rear tyre | Shinko E804 front tyre | MotoMount Radar screamer & LED visual alert | Custom half tail tidy kit |

• 2 weeks later...

I will be keeping my T7. Did lots of work on it to make it a 195kg (with 22L of fuel) XT700 trail bike / big dirt bike, and there is currently nothing better out there for me. But if a Japanese company comes out with an even lighter twin cylinder trail bike that sounds awesome, is incredibly reliable, easy to maintain, has high quality offroad suspension and comfortably fits a 192cm/110kg rider sitting and standing, then I could be tempted (as if that would happen).

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

A tenere 800 or 900 would be nice!

Edited by sunndog
  • Like 2

I sold my 2021 T7 last fall with 21,000 miles on it and bought a used, like new 2021 Kawasaki KLX300.

IMG_2217.jpeg

IMG_1918.jpeg

• Like 1