Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

What’s your next bike going to be?

ninot7

16 hours ago, sunndog said:

A tenere 800 or 900 would be nice!

indeed. I was waiting for one whilst i had my R1200GSA and a Tracer 9 GT, mainly loving the CP3. However there was/still no sign of the cp3 slotted into the Tenere frame unfortunately. Id defo consider one. Nevertheless more than happy with my CP2 now. 

Like a lot of people I imagine, just wish the t7 had a bit more power. Everything else is either spot on or easily fixed.

Yamaha, if you could just reliably squeeze another 25hp out of the cp2 I'd be grateful please and thank you 😊 

Edited by sunndog

• Moderators
56 minutes ago, sunndog said:

Like a lot of people I imagine, just wish the t7 had a bit more power. Everything else is either spot on or easily fixed.

Yamaha, if you could just reliably squeeze another 25hp out of the cp2 I'd be grateful please and thank you 😊 

Not knowing your riding style and majority of use, street vs dirt, I kind of agree with you. Coming from a 140+ hp FJR, the T7 was a bit of an initial disappointment to me on tarmac.  After riding it in the dirt extensively,  I've changed my opinion of needed hp for an " Adventure " bike. The 72 hp for my style of riding (60/40) lends itself well to having plenty of power in the dirt, adequate for the street and at 60+ mpg, excellent in mileage. 

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

I'm used to either 50hp 650 single  dirtbikes or 150hp Street bikes.

The t7 covers all the shortcomings of the singles on the road while maintaining comparatively decent off road ability 

My last adv was a ktm 990.

The t7 feels way more nimble off road and gets waaay better mileage but the 990 was a superb road bike. 70mph was like 4200rpm, but with more than enough grunt to bang it up to 100mph and also sit there comfortably...100mph on the t7 is more of an achievement than a cruising speed lol

Don't get me wrong I do like the bike and it has plenty of power to get around and feels far closer to a 650 single off road than the 990 ever did 

But if there was a "t9" that was as electronically simple as the t7 I'd have probably chosen that.

If you want a relatively simple, relatively powerful, relatively good on and off road japanese made twin cyl adv bike the t7 is the only choice

• Like 2

2 hours ago, sunndog said:

I'm used to either 50hp 650 single  dirtbikes or 150hp Street bikes.

The t7 covers all the shortcomings of the singles on the road while maintaining comparatively decent off road ability 

My last adv was a ktm 990.

The t7 feels way more nimble off road and gets waaay better mileage but the 990 was a superb road bike. 70mph was like 4200rpm, but with more than enough grunt to bang it up to 100mph and also sit there comfortably...100mph on the t7 is more of an achievement than a cruising speed lol

Don't get me wrong I do like the bike and it has plenty of power to get around and feels far closer to a 650 single off road than the 990 ever did 

But if there was a "t9" that was as electronically simple as the t7 I'd have probably chosen that.

If you want a relatively simple, relatively powerful, relatively good on and off road japanese made twin cyl adv bike the t7 is the only choice

spot on reply.

As i wanted to venture offroad, having owned the r1200gsa for 3 years and was really reluctant to take it anywhere but tarmac and the Tracer9gt which is my pick for a purely on road tourer (would defo buy again) the i was in the market for a T7. In the end, i was to choose between the 890R Adv and my World Raid. 

The 890R Adv was brand new and £1000 cheaper! I opted for the WR for simplicity and reliability.  I have since put around 6k miles probably 85 road and 15 off (nothing hardcore) but am enjoying every minute of it. Just come back from Germany, did since easy TET and sat on the autobahn for a few days - easy peasy. Albeit i have the 16T sprocket which makes it bearable to sit 80 mph all day long, 85 doable too with enough passing power. I had it upto  190 kph with no drama but didnt want to sit there as i was fully loaded and started visualising inner tubes tearing lol. 

Anyways, yes, if Yam releases (and they bloody should!!! why the hell not???) a Tenere 900, am all over it. 

T9 will come I'm sure. Way I see it is my t7 is keeper so it will feel like a dirt bike when I come off my t9 and use the 7 as it was intended a very dirt capable adv bike.

190kph is impressive for it. I've got a 16t front too 

• 3 weeks later...

Owned mine less than a year.   I have zero plans to sell this, it's sort of my "lets see how off-road capable I can make this" project as I'm sure it is for others.   I already have the asphalt covered with a street bike.   I suppose if I were to get a 3rd bike, it'd be an a pure off-road / light dual purpose thumper (think Beta 500 RR-S), and then I'd turn the Tenere back into a sort of longer haul adv bike with luggage, larger tank, etc. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/6/2023 at 7:03 AM, Yamablueridge said:

Brought the T7 home September 22, currently at 2.5k; with the winter months being a drag. I tend to modify my bikes and sell them after 5 years, however the T7 is a keeper. 

Whats changed of late is our current view on climate and energy. It’s beginning to look like the 15-20 years are the golden ticket of performance without the massive acquiescence to emissions and catalytic converter warming. If we could only catalyze the emissions from that pesky volcano in Ecuador or all those Chinese coal plants.

Of course you’re going to defy natural law and save a planet, you’re God.

Old man rant got me again…

Already picked up my next bike and it’s a hoot too, a 22 MT09. Just getting the MT past 1k and while it does need some help with the suspension, it’s a great bike and it was under 9k$. The MT will join the T7 and my 17 Mustang in the keep them forever stable mainly because of emissions, inflation and my old age. 

IMG_0179.jpeg

Bought a 2022 MT-09 SP January 27th last year with 1 mile. 24900 on the clock. Picked up my 2023 T7 three weeks ago and already at 2k. Keeping them both! Exhaust and ecu flash (vcyclenut) turns the mt09 into a different beast. The sound 😍

• Like 1

On 7/14/2023 at 7:45 AM, Goody Boy said:

Triumph Scrambler 400X

They’ll sell like hot cakes

• Like 2

Kove 450 rally will replace my crf300l as soon as it will be available in Italy. 

On 7/14/2023 at 1:45 AM, Goody Boy said:

Triumph Scrambler 400X

Yup, me too I think. I have a KTM 390 Adventure and I think this new bike might replace that. 

This conversation is highly relevant for me, as I recently totaled my T7 in a collision.  So I'm shopping again.

I really enjoyed the T7, but it seemed a little big and heavy for my needs and riding abilities.  I owned it primarily for camping and riding fire roads, BDR routes, and the like.   Some of my camping opportunities are 1-2 hours away by road, but road riding was not the goal.  Apart from camping trips, I run errands around town, commute on occasion, and rarely exceed 50MPH.

I'd love to have the unicorn 500cc fuel-injected lightweight ADV bike that everyone seems to want.   Seeing how it doesn't exist, it will probably be either another T7 or a Honda CRF300 Rally.  The latter will probably disappoint on the road, but I think I might enjoy it in the woods.

Anyone here who has owned both bikes?

13 minutes ago, Zero600 said:

This conversation is highly relevant for me, as I recently totaled my T7 in a collision.  So I'm shopping again.

I really enjoyed the T7, but it seemed a little big and heavy for my needs and riding abilities.  I owned it primarily for camping and riding fire roads, BDR routes, and the like.   Some of my camping opportunities are 1-2 hours away by road, but road riding was not the goal.  Apart from camping trips, I run errands around town, commute on occasion, and rarely exceed 50MPH.

I'd love to have the unicorn 500cc fuel-injected lightweight ADV bike that everyone seems to want.   Seeing how it doesn't exist, it will probably be either another T7 or a Honda CRF300 Rally.  The latter will probably disappoint on the road, but I think I might enjoy it in the woods.

I am not a hater of the CRF 300 Rally at all, I actually really like them for the price and capability, but they are really under sprung and under powered.

You would have to put money into it to get it up to par and it'll still feel slow even compared to a T7.

The bike you search for is indeed the unicorn we all want. lighter T7 with same or similar service intervals that sits on the highway nicely. 

I've realized the T7 is as close as I can get and have focused on weight saving where possible. I commute on mine daily with full knobbies and i can't fault it even when I ride single track tbh.

Side note (I have an extra 10k in mine in Ohlins and other parts)

Just now, Danrides said:

I am not a hater of the CRF 300 Rally at all, I actually really like them for the price and capability, but they are really under sprung and under powered.

You would have to put money into it to get it up to par and it'll still feel slow even compared to a T7.

The bike you search for is indeed the unicorn we all want. lighter T7 with same or similar service intervals that sits on the highway nicely. 

I've realized the T7 is as close as I can get and have focused on weight saving where possible. I commute on mine daily with full knobbies and i can't fault it even when I ride single track tbh.

Side note (I have an extra 10k in mine in Ohlins and other parts)

Yeah, I would expect to upgrade suspension on the Rally.  I'm not sure there's much power to be gained.  That's the shortcoming.

On 7/18/2023 at 4:52 PM, Zero600 said:

KTM 690/Husky 701 sits right in the middle.   Somewhat light, and still got plenty of power.

Rode a CRF300 Rally, it's like a toy bike compared to the T7, from weight and dimensions.  They are so much easier to handle on the trails.  However the power is underwhelming if you are used to or wanting power similar to T7s which makes them so much fun on double tracks.   I'm considering at it for doing the local trails for the gnarlier dual sporting.  But my heart really wants a CRF450L 🙂

It’ll just be a new T7 should I complete my current one.