Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

DIY Radiator Guard

Ghost775

Made a custom radiator guard today out of wire mesh that cost a total of $2.38 and 15 minutes to install. Just couldn’t justify $100+ for a guard. 

Install was simple, cut out a piece of wire mesh at 12.5”W x 7.5”L. Removed the OEM plastic louver and drilled four small holes for the top ties to go through. Placed the wire mesh on the back side of the louver and zip tied each corner. Then used three zip ties in the center of the louver to stiffen up the wire mesh. Re-installed louver on the bike and that’s it. A simple guard for some small piece of mind. 

A276868D-156D-4AA1-B6B8-1A212F16FB42.jpeg

3734A055-546B-41EC-9CFE-CE27B1BF926C.jpeg

A439F8E2-5CBB-484B-9DA3-FB232343595F.jpeg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 5/13/2023 at 6:20 PM, Ghost775 said:

Made a custom radiator guard today out of wire mesh that cost a total of $2.38 and 15 minutes to install. Just couldn’t justify $100+ for a guard. 

Install was simple, cut out a piece of wire mesh at 12.5”W x 7.5”L. Removed the OEM plastic louver and drilled four small holes for the top ties to go through. Placed the wire mesh on the back side of the louver and zip tied each corner. Then used three zip ties in the center of the louver to stiffen up the wire mesh. Re-installed louver on the bike and that’s it. A simple guard for some small piece of mind. 

A276868D-156D-4AA1-B6B8-1A212F16FB42.jpeg

3734A055-546B-41EC-9CFE-CE27B1BF926C.jpeg

A439F8E2-5CBB-484B-9DA3-FB232343595F.jpeg

I'm probably going to do something pretty similar. Have you had any issues or drawbacks to this design? The only thing I might do differently is put the mesh on the front instead of the back, just to protect the plastic guard itself too. Any reason not to? Thanks!

2 hours ago, a.potato.rider said:

I'm probably going to do something pretty similar. Have you had any issues or drawbacks to this design? The only thing I might do differently is put the mesh on the front instead of the back, just to protect the plastic guard itself too. Any reason not to? Thanks!

No draw backs at all the last month of riding. Rode through some gnarly grasshopper patches on the road and it stopped all of them from bending/hitting the radiator itself. 

I put the mesh screening behind the plastic guard purely for aesthetic purposes vs the front of the plastic. Wouldn’t matter either way in my opinion. Best of luck!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, a.potato.rider said:

Just for info, I did the same, 22k km ago and didn't had any issues. 

IMG_20210130_082656.jpg

• Like 1

I’d be cautious of the mesh rubbing through radiator over time. Keep an eye on it.

• Like 1