Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Heated grips

HJP1

Hi, ordered a pre reg 22 Rally, whilst looking on the yamaha site I could see heated grips. But dealer told me, they don't do them and is steering me toward Oxford pro grips.

Anyone know anything about this?

I had heard Yamaha no longer offered factory heated grips for the T700, I can't attest to the truth of it though.  Lots of folks seem to like Oxfords well enough, though I'm not one of them.  For me the options I considered were Koso's or an under grip heat wrap. 

Edited by Windblown

Yes with @Lewie  

they’re a new version in the dealerships now. So if you do go Yamaha, and buy off eBay etc, make sure they’re the later part number. 
but like @Lewie I went with oxfords. They’re brilliant. Get a Yamaha link cable to cut up and search fitting instructions on here for good cable routing etc. 👍

Here’s my thread although I don’t think I did a great job of routing the cables - something to sort out in the summer

Oxford's are popular, and you're in the UK, so there is that.  On the other hand, the large square controller that is handlebar mounted is obnoxious.  I went with Kosco mainly for the low profile.

image.jpeg.1b036fcbc1418a9fca229278ef495548.jpeg

20230518_105428.jpg.342aef73eec1d68adae4a18599327b59.jpgYou don't have to bar mount the oxford controller. But yeah my next set will be integrated switch types 20230518_105425.jpg.0c2855af398b25f6d96a6003e99560f4.jpg

Edited by sunndog

I have Koso heated grips and am happy with them. 

Oxford is probably the best way to go considering where you are and the ease of after-sales service.

The new Pro models from Oxford have the built-in switch in the left-hand grip and it is pretty awesome as well. It has only 3 temperature settings as compared to the Evo model which has 5 settings, but this means the switch needs to be installed someplace on the bike.

I have the Pro model and super happy with the ease of install & lesser wiring mess to deal with.

Meet BigBlu - 2022 Tenere 700 | Yamaha OEM chain guide | Yamaha OEM crash guard | Givi Rear luggage rack | Givi BN42 top box | Black Widow 300mm Hexagonal exhaust | Acerbis High Fender | Windscreen risers | ProTaper Evo low handlebar | Oxford Integrated heated grips | Upshift Retro Speedblock Blue graphic kit | QuadLock wireless charger | BarkBuster Storm Handguards | Mitas E07+ rear tyre | Shinko E804 front tyre | MotoMount Radar screamer & LED visual alert | Custom half tail tidy kit |

I’m happy with the last Oxford models with the thermistors etc, but FFS, I literally just put em on and they’ve released upgraded ones. 🙄

3 hours ago, Dougie said:

I’m happy with the last Oxford models with the thermistors etc, but FFS, I literally just put em on and they’ve released upgraded ones. 🙄

Have you seen the price of the integrated models though! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sunndog said:

Have you seen the price of the integrated models though! 

They are 30% more expensive than the Evo models.

Meet BigBlu - 2022 Tenere 700 | Yamaha OEM chain guide | Yamaha OEM crash guard | Givi Rear luggage rack | Givi BN42 top box | Black Widow 300mm Hexagonal exhaust | Acerbis High Fender | Windscreen risers | ProTaper Evo low handlebar | Oxford Integrated heated grips | Upshift Retro Speedblock Blue graphic kit | QuadLock wireless charger | BarkBuster Storm Handguards | Mitas E07+ rear tyre | Shinko E804 front tyre | MotoMount Radar screamer & LED visual alert | Custom half tail tidy kit |

I have the Yamaha warmers on my Tenere and they are not good. I have a set of Oxfords that will be going on to replace them. The yammy units were plug and play, but they arm weak.

Maybe there's more models than I thought then.

Oxford premium adventure grips are around £60.

The integrated switch "pro" versions are £200

Heck of a price hike to get rid of the controller box

• Like 1

I bought two different sets of Yamaha OEM heated grips and both sets electrical connections wern't compatible. That was good news because the Oxford adventure grips I got are so damn good! They're the best and I'm thinking of changing my other bikes to Oxfords now.

Edited by IAbeem

I got these ones as the Koso were well recommended. Cheaper than the other Koso ones

only need a spacer on the throttle side. I 3d printed one for it. can also cut end off an old grip as a spacer

Also they are tight enough to fit over throttle with no glue, on clutch side I wrapped bar in gorilla tape before sliding grip on and its solid as a rock.

Buy Koso KOSO HEATED GRIPS: 22MM HANDLEBAR, GRIP SWITCH at Louis Moto for a great price. Top brands ✓ Great selection ✓ No risk ✓ Secure payment ✓ 2 year return policy ✓ Free returns ✓

T7 koso.jpeg

T7 koso spacer.jpeg

Edited by john_aero

12 hours ago, 174ktm said:

I have the Yamaha warmers on my Tenere and they are not good. I have a set of Oxfords that will be going on to replace them. The yammy units were plug and play, but they arm weak.

There are 3 different settings on the yamaha grips,scooter,small bike and big bike.Do a Google search on how to change the setting.

content://com.android.chrome.FileProvider/images/screenshot/1685016727427-260808861.jpg

I have the Koso and the only thing I did not realize when I bought and then installed, was the thickness of the grip.  It is considerably thicker and a larger circumference than the Oxford's on my buddies bike.  Not sure I would have bought them had I known.  I do not have big meat hooks.  They work well (although I find I bump the switch inadvertently and either turn it on or off), look good but I find them a bit chunky.  

Anyone else notice this? 

• Like 1

On 5/25/2023 at 6:10 AM, Solitary1 said:

There are 3 different settings on the yamaha grips,scooter,small bike and big bike.Do a Google search on how to change the setting.

I will give it a whirl and try the different settings. Thanks for the tip. 

@174ktm and @Solitary1 I had the original OEM heated grips when I got my bike in 2021, but I didn't find they put out enough heat for riding in temps under 10 deg C even on the "big bike" setting. Switched to Oxfords and happy ever since!

On 5/25/2023 at 9:46 PM, roygilbo said:

I have the Koso and the only thing I did not realize when I bought and then installed, was the thickness of the grip.  It is considerably thicker and a larger circumference than the Oxford's on my buddies bike.  Not sure I would have bought them had I known.  I do not have big meat hooks.  They work well (although I find I bump the switch inadvertently and either turn it on or off), look good but I find them a bit chunky.  

Anyone else notice this? 

I noticed this too and assumed was in my own head, got used to it quickly