Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

New pain in the ass adds

katana

I tend to browse using my phone.  I now get pop up adds that end up getting clicked because they are so sneaky.  Not cool.

• Like 6

Took me a while to find the notifications tab because it was covered by an ad, plus another at the bottom of  the screen. 

Some of the most ads I've seen on a forum and Yep I know they cost money to run I own one myself 

I wasn't sure if something on the site had changed recently or if a browser setting had changed on my end.  I'd agree the new pop ups in the middle are pretty annoying.

Balancing user annoyance against an income stream is a tricky thing but it's sign of the times.  Sooner or later most every forum driven by a passion morphs into a business model as it's success increases costs or the owner simply opts to make it a business. 

Join me in shaking my fist at passing clouds. (Meaning -it's just the way it is). 

But yes - I would not be upset if the latest change in ads was dialed back a bit... 

• Like 3

Can you load ad-blockers to your phones?

I am on a old windows-7 desktop with an ad-blocker and have no problems.

"Join me in shaking my fist at passing clouds. (Meaning -it's just the way it is)"

@Windblown Never give up the fight!!

• Like 2

We are all tattooed in our cradles with the beliefs of our tribe

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

I guess @Cruizin has good reason to implement those new style ads, but I'd definitely prefer a paid membership option.

Imho, those annoying ads might even cause some to lose interest in this platform.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Samm said:

Yeah free services are a real drag…

As soon as you monetize something it's no longer free and users become customers.

If the ads are degrading customers experience using the site then we're gonna moan lol

I mean top and bottom page ads, the top one has to be cleared to use  the site, then you get a whole page ad that has to be cleared. Bit much to ask of customers imo

• Like 2

@sunndog Try this, it seemed to work on the wife's phone

• Like 1

We are all tattooed in our cradles with the beliefs of our tribe

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

2 hours ago, Hibobb said:

Can you load ad-blockers to your phones?

I am on a old windows-7 desktop with an ad-blocker and have no problems.

"Join me in shaking my fist at passing clouds. (Meaning -it's just the way it is)"

@Windblown Never give up the fight!!

Blows me away every time I see someone else's phone or computer without an ad blocker...so many sites are virtually unusable.

In addition to DNS, you can add an ad-block extension to your browser. There are a lot of scam apps out there, but uBlock Origin is a good, open source, and safe choice. Unless you use Safari, then you're out of luck. You should probably consider switching to Firefox as your primary browser.

• Like 2

advgoats.com

3 hours ago, Lewie said:

Don’t know about you lot but a Boat Pedestal Base was just what I was looking for tonight 

The ads must be individually tailored, All I’m seeing is Honda Motorcycles and Beautiful Single Ukrainian Women. Since I’ve got my T7 set up just right I guess I know what my next purchase will be…

• Haha 3

I just wish forum pricing was a little better, and that it worked across the forums. I'd have to pay $130cdn a year for the two I use, and that's just way too much for me.  

I'd happily pay $25/year to remove ads for both.  I dunno what @Cruizin makes from my eyeballs on some ads, but honestly I doubt it's that much.  

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Wintersdark said:

I just wish forum pricing was a little better, and that it worked across the forums. I'd have to pay $130cdn a year for the two I use, and that's just way too much for me.  

I'd happily pay $25/year to remove ads for both.  I dunno what @Cruizin makes from my eyeballs on some ads, but honestly I doubt it's that much.  

Yeah I'd be happy to contribute that even though I don't see ads! Is this forum a passion project or is it owned by a bigger entity?

advgoats.com

45 minutes ago, random1781 said:

Yeah I'd be happy to contribute that even though I don't see ads! Is this forum a passion project or is it owned by a bigger entity?

Passion project afaik. Cruizin is also running the MT-07 forum I think. It's all based on his own software/platform.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Tenerider said:

Passion project afaik. Cruizin is also running the MT-07 forum I think. It's all based on his own software/platform.

Also the Tracer 900, and MT09 forums.

• Like 2

On 5/25/2023 at 3:22 PM, random1781 said:

Blows me away every time I see someone else's phone or computer without an ad blocker...so many sites are virtually unusable.

In addition to DNS, you can add an ad-block extension to your browser. There are a lot of scam apps out there, but uBlock Origin is a good, open source, and safe choice. Unless you use Safari, then you're out of luck. You should probably consider switching to Firefox as your primary browser.

I don't run ad-blockers because I think it's fair to help support sites I find of value.  That said... I do sometimes opt to stop visiting sites that annoy me with too many ads.  It's a balancing act. 

Edited by Windblown
  • Like 2

I do run ad blockers most of the time, but I make a point of supporting sites whenever possible if there's a reasonably priced option, or Patreon.  Due to the realities of the world now though, there's a limit to what I can contribute as I'm supporting so many different sites and such. 

On 5/25/2023 at 12:13 PM, Samm said:

Yeah free services are a real drag…

We are the assets.  Never forget that.  There are vendors that pay and we can see their wares here.  They are here for the 'service'.  If we get fed up and leave the vendors leave. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I’m not sure if it’s location, accidentally navigating around these adds or because I named the pub I stopped at a few weeks ago (def not repeating it 😂) but these adds are mental. Power tools and god knows what from the same company. I’m glad I don’t know what some of this stuff is. Looks like stuff only a priest would keep in his civvy locker to show alter boys  😂   please tell me it’s not just me. I even disabled personalised ads etc. At least I’ve not been offered a penis extension for a few months. They’ve moved on to police brutality claims. 

• Haha 1

I'm running an adblocker now... actually this site forced me to do it.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Dougie said:

At least I’ve not been offered a penis extension for a few months.

Worst thing is how does Google know they worked so well?

What brand were they?...asking for a friend  😆

• Haha 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/25/2023 at 1:45 AM, katana said:

I tend to browse using my phone.  I now get pop up adds that end up getting clicked because they are so sneaky.  Not cool.

Try AdGuard

• 5 months later...

So here we go again.  From one add a day to three in 5 minutes.  Sort it out or ask me to leave.