Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

New pain in the ass adds

katana

Using AdGuard solved it for me, although I'd have preferred another solution (paid membership for example).

Adds visible or not depends on the browser (+ addblocker) you use.

On plain webview (chromium web engine) w/o addblocker shows personalized adds depending on your browsing behavior, country of origin and stored cookies.

adds_plain-webview.jpg

This ist vivaldi browser that uses also the webview engine with addblocker switched to on and periodicalyl I clean the cache and get rid of all the cookies.

adds_vivaldi.jpg

On my mobile phone I use a browser that doesn't support cookies and javascript by default. I have to switch it explicitly to on. I don't see adds when I'm signed off. Signing in the adds pop up. And that's when all the fun begins and I hardly find anything that I'm looking for...🤮

Edited by Ede-DE
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Ede-DE said:

Adds visible or not depends on the browser (+ addblocker) you use.

On plain webview (chromium web engine) w/o addblocker shows personalized adds depending on your browsing behavior, country of origin and stored cookies.

adds_plain-webview.jpg

This ist vivaldi browser that uses also the webview engine with addblocker switched to on and periodicalyl I clean the cache and get rid of all the cookies.

adds_vivaldi.jpg

On my mobile phone I use a browser that doesn't support cookies and javascript by default. I have to switch it explicitly to on. I don't see adds when I'm signed off. Signing in the adds pop up. And that's when all the fun begins and I hardly find anything that I'm looking for...🤮

I've think I've seen more ads on this screenshot than I have anywhere else!

Addressing ads is easy, but more importantly, is there a good solution for getting rid of the GDPR cookie banners? I know disabling JS is an option, but honestly that breaks a lot of sites.

advgoats.com

Adds on this site are taking the p**s tbh. If there was another option I'd use it. 

Good on cruizin for getting the main forums for various bikes and milking it for every penny lol

Try using Duckduckgo for your browser.

Tenere 700 / Africa Twin / Goldwing / Super Tenere / WR250R / GS1000S / GT750 / H2 750

• Moderators
3 hours ago, Simmons1 said:

Try using Duckduckgo for your browser.

Absolutely works for me.  

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

I am not against ads. But the TYPE of ads here are ghetto as hell. They try to trick you into clicking on them. 

And I repeat try Duckduckgo for your browser.

• Thanks 1

Tenere 700 / Africa Twin / Goldwing / Super Tenere / WR250R / GS1000S / GT750 / H2 750

No ad blocker and no ads 

I use Trend; maybe that is stopping ads.

I tried duckduckgo and it works but slowed some web pages

dunno.gif

Alcohol! No good story starts with a salad.

• Moderators

Since this thread has resulted in a quasi personal attack on the forum owner, I thought I'd provide some clarity.

Dictionary.com defines Capitalism as such. "an economic system in which investment in and ownership of the means of production, distribution, and exchange of wealth is made and maintained chiefly by private individuals or corporations, especially as contrasted to cooperatively or state-owned means of wealth."

There are forum members here who are not from the United States and may or may not understand this. Cable TV, internet movie services etc. offer their services,  most with included commercials.  If you want a commercial free experience,  you need to pay for it. You are also free to exercise your right to not participate and leave. Free sites such as this need to make enough to keep the lights on and disparaging comments do nothing except foster ill will and could cause a forum owner to feel that it's not appreciated and shut things down. 

Some of you here aren't aware that a single individual,  working a very busy job and raising a family, runs and finances this forum ( and others) and shut it down awhile back when things got to be too much time wise and financially.   An overwhelming outpouring of members asking to keep the forum open was/is the reason this forum is still operating.

Having said all this, tread lightly or you might get a bunch of forum members reporting attacks asking that you leave.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

The site's on the brink of collapse we all know that.   The owner has moved on but wants to maintain it, but for free?  I went looking for my old Hayabusa forum, it's gone, but still exists as an archive thankfully.  The Big US based one is dead too at least as far as the old Gen-2 bikes go.   Ads are easily sidestepped as noted above and a small price to pay for the wealth of information on offer.   Get your Shet together!

• Like 1

I am happy to leave.  It would be a shame, but rather that than click bait - on timing page openings!!!!! - adds.  There is potential for vendors selling their wares here, that is on the owner.   I AM NOT A PRODUCT AND WILL NOT BE TREATED AS ONE.

• Sad 1
  • Dislike 1

• Moderators
8 hours ago, katana said:

I am happy to leave.  It would be a shame, but rather that than click bait - on timing page openings!!!!! - adds.  There is potential for vendors selling their wares here, that is on the owner.   I AM NOT A PRODUCT AND WILL NOT BE TREATED AS ONE.

Hate to be the one to tell you this but, if you have a smartphone or pc, you already ARE the product.  My DuckDuckGo tracker blocker tally after just 10 days. 

It's the world we now live in.....

Screenshot_20240116_083117_DuckDuckGo.jpg.ee3696458c36fd589d2cf51ed965afba.jpg

• Like 3

It is the sneaky way I am cheated to click on the add.  Anyone that thinks that is ok, should ride a Honda.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/14/2024 at 10:34 PM, Caliphas said:

I am not against ads. But the TYPE of ads here are ghetto as hell. They try to trick you into clicking on them. 

Yeah, I’ve married ten eastern women now apparently. 🙈😂

but I’ve now got a 12” sausage and a timeshare apartment on the moon. 👍😂👍

• Haha 3