Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Cyclops 3.0 turn signals (issue??)

rd1myers

I installed these a couple of weeks ago to replace my cheap, e-bay LED blinkers that I've had for a couple of years.  They are WAY brighter and I really like the running light option in front for added visibility.  I opted to not use running lights on the rear because, if you do, the attention grabbing red strobe doesn't come on when you apply the brakes. The block off plates that ship with these are much more substantial than the thin plastic ones I had previously (from Camel, I think?).  But I had to file/sand the narrower ends of the raised, triangular parts to be slightly narrower so they would click into their respective spaces in the fairing/tail.

have gone on two rides with the new blinkers installed so far... and here is the issue: the clear lens covers have fallen off both front blinkers - one during the first ride, and the other during ride #2.  These were typical ADV rides with a mix of pavement and dirt - nothing too wild. The blinkers didn't contact anything other than wind (and a few rain drops) during either ride. I'm wondering if anyone else that has these blinkers has experienced any problems. I'm hoping I just got a defective pair and that this is an isolated issue.

I contacted Cyclops customer support after the first ride to let them know what happened. They were great about it and shipped a replacement front blinker the next day. A week later, after my second ride and second missing lens cover, I reached out to customer support again. This time they asked if I would cover shipping for the replacement. Now don't get me wrong, $10 bucks won't break the bank, but...... really?! Is it the customer's responsibility to incur additional costs for a product that appears to be defective? It's already a bit of a hassle to install them twice. Anyway, not sure how this will turn out yet.  I let customer service know that I didn't feel that shipping costs were my responsibility. I haven't heard back yet.

My bigger concern is, what if this keeps happening? Surely lights designed for ADV bikes are engineered to withstand bumps and wind. Do I need to superglue the lens covers on my replacement set?  My cheap, e-bay LEDs were awfully hard to see, but at least they remained intact for 2 years.  I'll update the thread when I know how the story ends....

IMG_1649.png.6d7b94dc82f04684f90daed280896a5c.png         IMG_1648.png.a14ed92752b3c88ad4b08510d1e29fc6.png

13 minutes ago, Lewie said:

have they added this since your complaint?

I don't recall if that was there previously or not. Since it was not crash-related and nothing knocked them off, it shouldn't be a factor. But we'll see.

I fitted cheap Chinese LED indicators when I first got my T7, they weren’t bright enough for daylight use.

Replaced them with genuine Yam LED’s, they’re excellent quality and not super expensive. No problems off road.

Suppose it’s the old saying, buy cheap buy twice.

• Like 1

**Update**

Cyclops is sending me another replacement free of charge. I mentioned to them in an email that I was thinking about using superglue or epoxy to make sure the replacement lenses don't fall off.

Their response:

"Don't do anything with the replacements. We have changed a few things on this end."

So there you have it; a happy ending for now. I received my first replacement indicator today and will likely have the other one by the end of the week. I'm not sure what they changed... but hopefully the lenses are more secure now.  

I thought Cyclops sealed the blinkers to avoid water intrusion. Lenses falling off wound indicate that is not true. 

8 hours ago, Hollybrook said:

I thought Cyclops sealed the blinkers to avoid water intrusion. Lenses falling off wound indicate that is not true. 

Interestingly enough, after I told Cyclops I planned to use glue on the replacement blinkers, and they told me not to "do anything with the replacements," the first replacement showed up with a little bead of glue visible around the edges of the lens cover. I don't know if that is their only method for sealing them, but apparently they liked the idea. The guy I was working with did say that the blinkers are all hand-assembled and not made in batches. So maybe my first set was assembled on a Friday and they forgot to apply the "seal."

• 2 weeks later...

I had an issue with the set I purchased, they would activate some times when you use the horn. And what was worse sometimes they would shut off completely or stay locked on until you shut the bike off and turned it on again. Very unsafe, checked over the entire bike, then tested with the stock signals and TST industry signals (and relays) and could not reproduce that issue. Cyclops customer service was great though, to get a return I had to smash them up (I live far away from where they are shipped in a rural area) and they took a beating to before that lense would come off and usually it shot across my shop instead of breaking.

So I imagine it was a Friday job or a new employee. Either way if you have any issues with there products just contact them, they seem very helpful and accommodating.

I had their first attempt of signals like these back on my 2021. They were constantly coming apart at the stem. Very Chinese quality for an American pricing.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Bought a set for my T7 and one signal failed after 1,500 miles. They immediately replaced the signal free of charge. Their level of customer support is hard to find these days. I also notice on their website that they have purchased the company the makes Tuff Lights and are preparing to introduce a new line.

• Like 1

I need to get a pair of these for the front of my T7.

The Cyclops v. 1 LED signals were on my bike when I bought it slightly used, and after swapping bikes one day with my cousin and following him on my T7 I was appalled how dim the signals were in sunlight. Changed the rears out for much brighter 12 O'clock Labs LEDs, and never thought much about the fronts until I saw recently how they seemed almost invisible when blinking orange in the daylight when a friend was riding my bike. Great white running light function from the fronts though.