Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

WykaTech Speedo Offset Dash Plate

2nwyka

From the very first time I threw my leg over my T7, I wanted to put my GPS beside my speedometer, and my phone up on the bar.

I designed and fabbed a working mount out of 1/4" 6061-T6 aluminum plate, and 3D printed a PETG Garmin Spine to AMPS mount adapter!

The WykaTech Speedo Offset Plate takes a little design inspiration from the Motology GPS Stabiliser mount, as well as the Twalcom kit to get a general idea of hole placement and cable routing.

The plate weighs 355g when made from 1/4" aluminum, so it's not especially light, but not heavy enough to cause bobbling issues. I also replaced the speedo screws with 20mm long self-tapping screws of the same thread to compensate for the added thickness of the aluminum plate and avoid stripping the plastic threads in the speedo.

The only issue so far is that the banjo bolt on the brake master cylinder hits the GPS a hair before full left lock, so I'll have to look into a way to either move the master cylinder a bit, tilt the bars, or re-print the GPS mount to shift it a little. It's designed so that a Montana or Zumo XT will fit in portrait orientation next to the speedo, but I use my Garmin GPSMap 64st. 

My next challenge to solve is proper handguards, as I'm just running the stock handguards.  (UPDATE 09/20/23: I installed Tusk D-Flex Pro handguards and a 25mm straight riser on the stock bars. The handguard clears the speedo by 4mm when turning hard right, but lightly impacts the GPS with the 3D printed mount when the handlebars are hard left. I think I can solve this by either moving the GPS further inboard in another revision of the plate, or by redesigning the 3D printed mount to be closer to the plate.)

I'm not selling it, as I don't have proper manufacturing facilities, but the technical drawings are attached for anyone interested to replicate!

It can be made using basic hand tools and a little know-how. 

I take no responsibility for damage to your speedo cable harness or your dash as a result.

Tenere 700 Speedo Offset Plate.jpg

WykaTech Dash.jpg

T7 GPS Dash.jpg

Edited by 2nwyka
Update
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

This is awesome! Do you by any chance have the DXF file of the design?

6 hours ago, Stdekok said:

This is awesome! Do you by any chance have the DXF file of the design?

Just sent you a PM! 

DXFs aren't an approved file type on the site, so I'll have to probably email it to you.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hey! this is awesome, just wondering if anyone has the DXF they can send me. I aimed to redraw it, though was missing a dimension for the holes on the right hand side (on the y axis). My father in law has a Tenere and i'd like to make it for him at work 🤟

3 hours ago, kimstanek said:

Hey! this is awesome, just wondering if anyone has the DXF they can send me. I aimed to redraw it, though was missing a dimension for the holes on the right hand side (on the y axis). My father in law has a Tenere and i'd like to make it for him at work 🤟

Just replied to your PM, more than happy to send the DXF over!

Which dimension is missing?
It's been a very long time since I made proper engineering drawings, so it's very possible I forgot to include one when I exported from the SolidWorks part.