Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Mixing tyres

Rossy NI

My rear STR tyre is passed it but front has plenty left on it. Thinking of sticking a Anakee wild on the rear. Do you think this combo would be ok? Heading to ABR later this month so would like something capable. 

Try it and tell us.

Alcohol! No good story starts with a salad.

I’m my experience the front and rear tires don’t really talk to each other. Stick whatever you want on wherever you want it, no need for matching. 

• Like 1

Absolutely nothing wrong with mixing tyres. I've gone through a few rear Anakee Wilds...awesome tyre, both off and on road. They just don't last like some others, especially if they see a fair bit of road.

Edited by Wikky

I can't recall the last time I ran a set of matched tires on an ADV bike so sure, give them a shot!

Here's my general suggestion when it comes to mixing tires: Error on the side of running a front tire has a little more bite than the rear tire for the surface you are most concerned about losing traction on.  For me I know will push a bikes traction limits harder off pavement than on so I opt for more aggressive dirt biased fronts compared to the rear. 

An Anakee Wild should have more bite off pavement than your current front so it would be reverse from my off-pavement preference in the traction department however it should match up well  with the front for on the street.  

• Like 1

I have the trailmax mission on the back and the OE Pirelli on the front. I did a 500 mile round trip to Oklahoma and the DART level 1/2 with it. 

I’m not throwing out a good tire and I’m not going to run those scorpions. 

Similar ^

I’m currently running Anakee wilds front and back but will stick an STR back on the rear for more road touring.

The front wild is wearing well and seems to have similar feel to the STR but back squirms a bit on its edge and is wearing pretty fast.

I'm thinking of trying a heidenau k60 ranger on the back of mine with the stock front

14 hours ago, Rossy NI said:

My rear STR tyre is passed it but front has plenty left on it. Thinking of sticking a Anakee wild on the rear. Do you think this combo would be ok? Heading to ABR later this month so would like something capable. 

Personally found the stock front STR really poor in the dirt, no feel for what the wheel is doing when it’s in the loose stuff. Ok road tyre.

Anakee wild front is a good compromise for both on and off road.

Thanks guys, I’ve just reserved a pair of anakee wilds and getting them fitted at the weekend! They should be the job for the abr festival…

• Like 1

• Premium Member
7 minutes ago, Rossy NI said:

Thanks guys, I’ve just reserved a pair of anakee wilds and getting them fitted at the weekend! They should be the job for the abr festival…

Enjoy. I’m just back from a trip to the Outer Hebrides 

• 2 weeks later...

I'm with @Windblown. I have a Dunlop Trailmax Mission up front and Michelin Anakee Adventure in the rear. Being new to road riding and twisties I'm more scared of losing grip on the road than on the dirt. So I'm more road biased than you want but my front tire is more dirt worthy than the rear because I don't mind the rear being a bit loser off-road.

The stock Scorpion front I removed after a few dirt rides even though it was new. It was too vague.

What's frustrating is if you look at reviews they always pair up the tires. I guess to keep the manufacturers happy and make it less work. But you never really know which tire they are talking about, LOL.  

• Moderators

Moved from General Discussion.  Agreed, mixing tires is an accepted practice that I've observed for years on all sorts of bikes. Haven't regretted it once, except when I tried a matched set of MotoZ RallZ front & Rear. Love the rear ( on my 3rd), but couldn't get that front off fast enough due to instability on pavement above about 60 mph. 

• Like 1

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS