Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Alternatives to the stock Pirellis (with 16 T)

ninot7

My stock STRs have served me well for 6k and are getting thin.
I have a 16T front sprocket and looking at some tyres to replace. So far i like the Mitas E07,
Michelin Wild,
Dunlop Trailmax Missions
Heidenau K60 Scouts
But not sure whether ill have a clearance issue due to the 16T sprocket with the mudguard.
Any advice from 16T users with above tyres please?

Chain wear helps....

We are all tattooed in our cradles with the beliefs of our tribe

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

Have had no clearance issues with a 16 tooth using oem Pirellii STR, 150/70 Mitas E-10, 150/70 Motoz Tractionator Adventure or Rallz & 140/80 GPS

i always tought the rally edition has a 15 tooth the normal has standard a 16t. [correct me if im wrong]

but i run a 16 and you should have no clearance issues with any 150 tire on the market.   140 even less [do note this means it gets a little higher]

don't think you can get in trouble with the t7 on that front.

i my self am a motoz fan.  adventure / rallz..   gps i have never try'd    [have had the rallz 140 and the adventure 150.  no issues]

• Like 1

Excuse my ignorance but what affect does the front sprocket size have on rear tyre clearance 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Lewie said:

Excuse my ignorance but what affect does the front sprocket size have on rear tyre clearance 

A 16T sprocket would take more from the chain so it’ll run a bit shorter. Some big knobbly tyres could rub against the mudguard as they sit closer inwards. 

• Like 1

Trail max missions fit fine. Hope I can ride on a flat with these. Found out there's no riding on the STR's without air.

Does any 150/70-18 have a taller knobs than a Rallz?  I have a 16t rear and a Rallz rear.  ZERO clearance issues.  Factory chain still on the bike.  

• Like 1