Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Cold a.m. / hot p.m. commute....

chadio

Trying to keep things simple with my gear,  yet stay comfortable on my way to work and on my way home.  My commute:

- my route to and from, I am going 35 to 40 mph

- when I leave the house, the temp can be close to 45 F.

- when I leave work, temp can be close to 85 / 90 F.

That is a pretty big spread.  Ultimately, I would wear my Tourmaster jacket, liner installed, vents closed, and my full face helmet with face shield.  Then, on the way home, my mesh jacket, open MX helmet with my Arclite safey glasses for good airflow.

Two outfits - presume this is how to do it.... stow gear in panniers 😐

• Like 1

"ADV  ONE DROP AT A TIME " - Chronicles of Solid

I have almost the same spread of temps and speeds for my work commute, layers are my friend. 

-Base layers are the Icon Field Armor Compression pants & shirt. D30 impact and kevlar in the important areas.

-riding jeans on colder days, normal jeans for the warmer days.

-mornings I layer a compression long sleeve under the Icon Field + waterproof warm hoodie + Revit Tracer Air jacket, then ditch all the layers and use just the jacket on the way home.

-on super hot days I'll just use the icon field + a jersey on the way home.

-I use a Shoei X2 so I wear a buff in the mornings with the visor closed and open the shield + sunglasses for the ride home (I always keep clear goggles just in case the suns down)

Anything I'm not wearing fits into my backpack, no panniers on my bike.

The temp swings are a lot to deal with!

• Like 2

Also I should mention that almost all my gear is either white/grey/light-coloured to stay more visible in the mornings and not absorb so much heat in the sun.

• Like 1

Upcoming work commute for Saturday and Sunday,  low around 60f and high around 90f.

Going to put the liner in the mesh jacket for the a.m.

Liner out for the p.m.

MX helmet with safety glasses...  we shall see....

Leave the liner out and buy a lightweight down jacket that will pack much smaller and be less hassle to swap out. 

Warm weather gloves and heated grips.

Flip front helmet if you're really too warm in a normal one.

Thats been my Three season riding gear for 15 years.

Fourth season I add the liner back into a warmer jacket along with the down layer, use warmer gloves, and size up trousers to wear over normal ones 

Edited by sunndog
  • Like 1

Use merino base layers. We are currently experiencing -2°C to 22°C ( 28°F to 72°F ). 

Good merino tights/leggings and merino glove liners.

Not perfect but acceptable.

• Like 1

Alcohol! No good story starts with a salad.

As mentioned, well thought out layers are your friend.  Riders discover quickly when going on extended trips where the weather might range from 100F+ to below freezing and under a blazing sun or freezing rain that flexibility in the layers is the key, not multiple jackets.  Commuting is not all that different.  Weather changes a good deal.

I often wear an armored shirt and jacket shell.  The other layers I might bring can vary for shorter rides but on long multi-day ones. Merino wool, and a warmish mid layer of some sort, and a MX/Enduro type jersey round things out nicely. I tend to lean towards Gore Tex shells but sometimes if really hot will ditch the Gore Tex completely and bring a set of frog toggs in case of rain. 

Heated grips allow a lighter set of gloves to work over a larger range of temps. 

A well vented ADV type helmet works from blistering hot to freezing cold.  For super hot while moving slower I'll sometimes opt to just open the facesheild and slap on a pair of clear safety glasses for more air flow.  

• Like 1

Mesh jacket with a rain coat is my go to. The rain jacket fits in my tank bag and can be put on or taken off and stowed in about a minute. 
Just got back from riding part of the TAT and that combo was good for the cool 45° mountain mornings to 105° in Utah. 

• Like 1

a.m. trip / setup:  the bees knees @59f

p.m. trip / setup:  as expected, fine when moving,  warmish at a stop @95f  

Good earplugs are an absolute MUST.   

Just trying to fine tune some riding gear setups, stay cozy my friends