Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Best tyres for green laning

Welder1976

Good afternoon gents I was wondering what tyres people are using for when they go greenlaning whats the best and how much they are roughly many thanks 😊 

Oh boy 😂😉

This might yield well over 10 pages of replies!

If it's really only for green lanes, I'd probably go for a decent allround enduro tire (which needs to handle botj mud and rocky terrain I guess), but I've never ridden in the UK yet.

If you're riding tarmac as well, I'd head for at least a 50/50 tire like a TKC 80, AX41, Anakee Wild. Maybe better even a 30/70 like Heidenau K60 Ranger.

• Moderators

Moved from General Discussion. 

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

I'm going for k60 rangers next for tarmac and uk lanes.

If it weren't for hearing they don't do so well on cold wet roads it would be motoz adventure 

• Like 1

Mitas E09 Dakar on the rear and E13 Rallystar on the front is my goto combination for UK laning.

Decent all-round offroad mud, dirt, gravel, rocks, whatever. I particularly like the front in the mud, its one of the most confidence inspiring fronts I have found short of a full enduro tyre. I get decent mileage for the cost, and they're not bad on the road considering they are fairly aggressive off-road tyres. (I bought my T7 for laning anyway, so I don't care about road performance, I just ride around their shortcomings when on tarmac). 

The softer E09 non-dakar compound on the rear might be a tad better in the rocky stuff (softer compound) but the mileage is noticeably not as good (not terrible, but not as good as the Dakar version). 

I usually order from Trellesport (search for Mitas UK), you might save a tenner searching around, but I've found their prices to be competitive and they normally arrive next day.

Used to run Motoz Tractionator RallZ's, which did better mileage, but not so good on the rocky stuff (they're a bit hard), and the prices have gone through the roof so they became a false economy as compared to the Mitas.