Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Factory lowering links - Lower side stand?

Gekkdroid

For anyone that has installed the factory lowering links, how does the bike sit afterwards with the factory side stand?  Did you have to source a shorter one to retain the original lean so the bike wasn't to upright?

Thanks

the one from my local show did have lower link in one of the bike.

it def was noticeable straight up more BUT it is leaned over enough that it wants to lean over to the side stand with effort for me to straighten it.

No need for lower stand but wherever there is camber on the street it may be a bit too straight...

• 2 months later...

Anybody have measurement of yamaha lowering links?

• 6 months later...
On 4/26/2020 at 6:01 AM, Gezgin Endurocu said:

Anybody have measurement of yamaha lowering links?

155mm between centers gives approximately 22mm lowering.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

My stock link was 145mm centres. I have just installed one of these.

193 turned it into a Harley cruiser.😆 I am currently at 165mm and raised the forks in the triple clamps 20mm (26mm total)

i am 170cm, 29inch in seam and I am now ball of foot for both feet.

The stand only works on level ground and I can no longer get on the bike via the pegs from the right side of the bike.

t7-lowering-link.thumb.png.21fd39c60d1a7c7a4eb34c047ad8565b.png

• Like 1

Even with the OEM lowering links I feel the stock side stand is too long.  It works fine on level ground, but on uneven ground I sometimes can’t even get the stand extended.   On paved surfaces just a bit of slope makes things dicey, as the bike could tip to the right if I’m not careful.  

I’ll be picking up a camel toe when Cory gets the new springs in.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Wizbang said:

My stock link was 145mm centres. I have just installed one of these.

193 turned it into a Harley cruiser.😆 I am currently at 165mm and raised the forks in the triple clamps 20mm (26mm total)

i am 170cm, 29inch in seam and I am now ball of foot for both feet.

The stand only works on level ground and I can no longer get on the bike via the pegs from the right side of the bike.

t7-lowering-link.thumb.png.21fd39c60d1a7c7a4eb34c047ad8565b.png

Wouldn't trust this on anything, like a bit of swiss cheese, your legs are worth more than that

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Macnavas said:

Attached is a picture of my connecting rods.

I think mine are amazon, but still, not Yamaha factory...   and?   I JUMP my bike.

Your photos convinced me, and the stock Yamaha lowering links are on the way

thank you for the kick-in-the-pants I needed to buy the right part

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, cstatman said:

I think mine are amazon, but still, not Yamaha factory...   and?   I JUMP my bike.

Your photos convinced me, and the stock Yamaha lowering links are on the way

thank you for the kick-in-the-pants I needed to buy the right part

AND DANGIT!  I just see that RallyRaid makes links --- I should have bought from them!!!!!!   
(alwasy support our guys - in my haste...  I didnt  )

CHONKY!   😄

Thanks to every single one of you on this thread, who INSPIRED my cheapskate self to buy LEGIT lowering links, and replace the Amazon (probably Aliexpress) ones

I RIDE my bike,   that means...   stupidly.   and often abusively.

photo attached is YAMAHA OFFICIAL $117 with shipping lowering links.
left is Yamaha flat, black center is Amazon, right is Yamaha upright

You can visually SEE the thickness difference.    they are probably 2x as heavy.

There are many many parts of the bike we can lighten and save weight.  Critical suspension components are probably not one of them.

I feel MUCH MUCH better about these links

And yes, the bike still sits on the stock sidestand.

F743270B-C040-4002-BE96-71B91CD42071_1_201_a.jpeg

• Like 4

Hi cstatman,

I'm glad you got the right connecting rods. I'm still thinking about mine breaking off-road, but if it had happened on-road I could have had a serious accident.

I've gone back to the OEM ones.

Now keep enjoying your bike.

• Like 1

Hello Ktmmitch,
I am interested in the shortened side stand for the Tenere 700 because my bike is lowered using the OEM links. However, I cannot find any information on the Rally Right homepage about how much the stand is shortened compared to the OEM stand. I am also missing a hint as to whether the OEM side stand switch cover can still be used.
Can you enlighten me there?
Greetings Norbert

7 hours ago, norei said:

Hello Ktmmitch,
I am interested in the shortened side stand for the Tenere 700 because my bike is lowered using the OEM links. However, I cannot find any information on the Rally Right homepage about how much the stand is shortened compared to the OEM stand. I am also missing a hint as to whether the OEM side stand switch cover can still be used.
Greetings Norbert

Our stand is 30mm shorter than stock, fits with OEM stand bolt and switch, check out the fitting instructions link

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/1/2021 at 4:42 PM, cstatman said:

I've fitted the RRP sidestand with the OEM lowering links. It's way too short by about 20mm. RRP have just recalled all of thier shorter sidestands due to a possible defective welding issue and are supplying redesigned parts. I asked if my replacement could be 20mm longer but RRP have said not possible. I've asked why. Back to the OEM sidestand for now but I do find it about 20mm too tall with the lowering kit fitted.

AND DANGIT!  I just see that RallyRaid makes links --- I should have bought from them!!!!!!   
(alwasy support our guys - in my haste...  I didnt  )

On 4/5/2021 at 11:18 AM, norei said:

Hello Ktmmitch,
Greetings Norbert

Switch if fine but the bike really leans too far IMO with the OEM links and the RRP sidestand 

• Like 1

I posted this info in another thread but its worth repeating...

No need to spend $120 on Yamaha dog bones. Rally Raid has a solid pair for $40. Yamaha - 18mm lower and Rally Raid -20mm lower. I installed the RR links and raised my fork tubes 15mm. I also installed a low seat. I'm gonna make my own more comfortable low seat out of the stocker but the factory low seat will do for now. 

...And yes, I did change the side stand. T-Rex adjustable side stand.

Thanks for the concern for the chinese variable lowering links.  Now that I have settled on my lowering (dog bone) length I have had some quality ones cut.

The Rally Raid ones are the right price, even shipped from Blighty, but even the Rally Raid 40mm ones are only 160mm centres and I am very happy with 165mm, hence having them made. I am 170cm 29 inch inseam and also use the OEM low seat and the setup feels like it "fits" me perfectly.

On removal and inspection I think my set of chinese ones are of decent quality but I was always concerned about the "meat" between holes.

IMG_1005.thumb.jpg.9518fcdf88cce93dc8d07255f3eab13c.jpg

IMG_1006.thumb.jpg.8550b871639b0f964e3f2f3b9f5018ae.jpg

The two bare metal models are 6mm and chinese one is 6.5mm (putting that down to paint).

If there is someone (shorter than 170cm/5'7") that would like to borrow the variable one to see what length they need then just let me know and I will get a postage price.

Edited by Wizbang
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 4/5/2021 at 11:18 AM, norei said:

Hello Ktmmitch,
Greetings Norbert

The RRP short stand is for use with thier lowering kits. It's much too short for the OEM links (by about 20mm) 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
9 hours ago, Wushuplayer said:

Can lowering links be fitted using front and rear paddock stands, or does it need to be lifted from another point please?

You won't be able to use a rear stand.  Once you remove the links, the bike will collapse.

• Like 1