Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Living without crash bars?

leclerq

Before I dive into the question, here's a background:

I'm mid 30s based in the Netherlands and have driven on road only, with BMW R 1100 S and K 1300 GT.

I laid down the R after a bit of gravel laying on the road surprised me. This was with 5km/h, so only the boxer guard (plastic) was a bit scratched. Didn't replace the part, but if I had to it would have cost me ~50 euros.

I laid down the K when I hit a bicycle (as you do :P), also about 5 km/h. The damage there was cosmetic (side panel mounting broke off), but the cost here was around 800 euros!

Now naturally I was looking into crash bars for my bog standard '23 Tenere but found that they all were one of the following:

- heavy

- blocking my knees (I'm 197cm with most of the length in my legs)

- expensive

- upper/lower part sets (which part do you need?)

- ugly

- breaking off things on a bike when falling on it

Moreover, the parts I think can break are fairly cheaply, especially compared to the K 1300. A new, freshly painted side panel is like 100 euros.

My question is basically this: is a crash bar worth it, keeping in mind I only do (very) light offroading like gravel roads, bad (Belgian) pavement and the occasional dirt road? What really can go wrong in these scenarios? Clutch casing cracking open? Radiator breaking? Are there any riders that do some offroad that don't run with crash bars?

Edited by leclerq

I don’t run crash bars on my T7. But I did install some very stout hand guards and an AXP skid plate.  After laying the bike down on its side to see what hits first, I figure between the two they will protect the water pump and radiator in a drop along with keeping the bars from bending.

I have not tested this theory yet since I haven’t dropped the bike in the fist 12k miles of riding. ( about 50/50 pavement /dirt - no single track ) So far I don’t miss having crash bars. 

We've all heard it, some guy says they've tried them all and this handguard or that handguard is the best. We won't bore you with "we're the best", just compare theirs side by side with our HDB Ultimate Handguards™. Our Ultimate...

• Like 2

Good question. Since there aren't many rocks around the Netherlands, the chance of breaking the clutch or alternator case is quite low. Invest in sturdy handguards (Acerbis, Barkbusters, HDB), since the bars will hit the ground in (probably) all scenarios 😁

Due to the rather wide handlebars, there usually is some space left between the ground and the engine casings - at least on flat ground.

That being said, I am running Hepco&Becker Rally crashbars (protecting the side panels and, more important, the radiator!).

10cm shorter than you, quite long legs, and yes my knees touch them if I'm on the foremost part of the seat, but it doesn't compromise comfort or bike handling.

They did a good job until now, but I'm considering buying engine casing protectors and removing the crashbars completely. But I like their looks.

If your plan is to take it easy, then you just need to weight the potential cost of a crash against the chance you'll get into said crash.

I don't run crash bars, but I also don't go hardcore. I stick to dirt/fire roads and if I am ever in some spicy single track stuff, I'm going super duper slow as I'm not that advanced of a rider. All of my 10+ drops have been at less than 10 km/h. I have had to bend back my shift & brake pedals a touch, and my barkbusters have taken a beating, but other than that, no issues. 

Sounds like you're not too worried about the cost of replacing/fixing anything that might get dinged, so you're probably good. If you are really worried about the clutch cover etc. you can always just get a lower protection kit.

• Like 1

I have the SW Motech lower bars along with some Barkbusters.  For all of my low speed tipovers, these were the only points that ever touched the ground. 

Those lowers were only a couple kgs, and saved what was likely some expensive plastic panel damage.  No problems with interfering with my knees or feet

I only see the higher bars being effective if you really crash at high speeds where the front of the bike takes a hard dive.

• Like 1

I settled on Barkbusters. I've dropped the bike 3 times on gravel and the handlebars always take the hit. Thoughtful design? Love the bike! The sides are still perfect. When I start serious offroading from UK down Africa, I'll probably add engine guards to minimize the chances  stranded in the middle of nowhere.

• Like 1

I had a 1200 tenere that I bought crash bars, skid plate etc. 50,000 miles never really used them. I ride street and venture onto fire roads.

I put on bark busters and painted stock skid plate black on my T7. I've added goodies but no protection. Until I whack my skid plate I'm done.

I would bet that most T7 owners wouldn't feel the 1@3% weight difference if they rode their bike blindfolded back-to-back with and without crashbars.
I certainly don't.
OEM crash bars were my choice as i don't like the ones who go around the front under the headlight.
I didn't want lower crash bars as i have long legs and feet, so i installed R&G plastic covers for the clutch and crank case covers.
The main goal of these for me is to protect the water pump, which is really vulnerable.
So nothing is in my way, i never touch any of it while riding.
There's another thing: i don't care about looks, at all.

They are a necessary insurance for me as i ride ruff stuff in remote places.
I dropped the bike numerous times, nothing broke, but i can't tell for sure if it's thanks to my crash protections.
As others said, handguards plays a huge role in crash protection.

So to answer your question, yes, crash bars are totally worth it for me.
The more you'll begin exploring with your T7, the more you will encounter ruff stuff, and you'll get addicted to it.
Mark my words 😂

291099503_3237778656490277_3315445442174179461_n.jpg.2a88b45bb41892be0b95266a76746877.jpg

291368671_3237778809823595_5274502072269266525_n.jpg.cbfad6580d6f62867793d725d83d62db.jpg

301162809_3276888329245976_4147754660134361750_n.jpg.bda60c5c7650df0b8367268ea16deed9.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

I wouldn't count on the bars and handgaurds protecting much in anything harder than a tip over. The stock riser is soft enough that you can twist it by hand when off the bike.

I bent mine and put it in a vise to straighten.  Boy was I surprised how soft it is! 

On 7/21/2023 at 5:22 PM, Liquidape said:

I don’t run crash bars on my T7. But I did install some very stout hand guards and an AXP skid plate.  After laying the bike down on its side to see what hits first, I figure between the two they will protect the water pump and radiator in a drop along with keeping the bars from bending.

Wow I do like the AXP skid plate! I found a shop in NL that sells them. Is this what you have?

182ec88e63eb1c9da6ed6d0e602d65d6.jpg

AXP Skidplate euro 4, voor de Yamaha Tenere 700 is gemaakt van kunststof HDPE met een dikte van 8 mm en is licht van gewicht.

2 minutes ago, leclerq said:

Wow I do like the AXP skid plate! I found a shop in NL that sells them. Is this what you have?

182ec88e63eb1c9da6ed6d0e602d65d6.jpg

AXP Skidplate euro 4, voor de Yamaha Tenere 700 is gemaakt van kunststof HDPE met een dikte van 8 mm en is licht van gewicht.

Make sure you get the right version for your bike (Euro 5 for all 2021 and newer models).

7 hours ago, QuietFarmer said:

I settled on Barkbusters. I've dropped the bike 3 times on gravel and the handlebars always take the hit. Thoughtful design? Love the bike! The sides are still perfect. When I start serious offroading from UK down Africa, I'll probably add engine guards to minimize the chances  stranded in the middle of nowhere.

6 hours ago, mcbrien said:

I had a 1200 tenere that I bought crash bars, skid plate etc. 50,000 miles never really used them. I ride street and venture onto fire roads.

I put on bark busters and painted stock skid plate black on my T7. I've added goodies but no protection. Until I whack my skid plate I'm done.

On 7/21/2023 at 5:27 PM, TeneRico700 said:

If your plan is to take it easy, then you just need to weight the potential cost of a crash against the chance you'll get into said crash.

I don't run crash bars, but I also don't go hardcore. I stick to dirt/fire roads and if I am ever in some spicy single track stuff, I'm going super duper slow as I'm not that advanced of a rider. All of my 10+ drops have been at less than 10 km/h. I have had to bend back my shift & brake pedals a touch, and my barkbusters have taken a beating, but other than that, no issues. 

Sounds like you're not too worried about the cost of replacing/fixing anything that might get dinged, so you're probably good. If you are really worried about the clutch cover etc. you can always just get a lower protection kit.

Judging by these replies Barkbusters are a must so I'll go for that. But other than that, my driving (as of right now... I'll take @Sapitch 's "warning" into consideration!) doesn't warrant big protection. Will save up for the AXP plate @Liquidape mentioned, if only for the looks 😍

3 minutes ago, Tenerider said:

Make sure you get the right version for your bike (Euro 5 for all 2021 and newer models).

Thanks for the heads up! This shop also has a more expensive 'Euro 4' version that judging by the URL and the description is actually a Euro 5 version. Will ring them up before buying.

5ccec58bd4f1aebb720f8cf932254a1a.jpg

AXP Skidplate voor de Yamaha Tenere 700. De Adventure skidplate is gemaakt van kunststof HDPE met een dikte van 8 mm en is licht van gewicht.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, leclerq said:

Thanks for the heads up! This shop also has a more expensive 'Euro 4' version that judging by the URL and the description is actually a Euro 5 version. Will ring them up before buying.

5ccec58bd4f1aebb720f8cf932254a1a.jpg

AXP Skidplate voor de Yamaha Tenere 700. De Adventure skidplate is gemaakt van kunststof HDPE met een dikte van 8 mm en is licht van gewicht.

Good idea, and you could also compare it to the manufacturer's description and pictures: https://www.axp-racing.com/en/product/yamaha-700-tenere-skid-plate-euro-5-2021-2023-black-ax1606

I dropped the big girl in the first 50 miles of riding it off road. Scratched up the bark busters and the crash guards nicely. 

I would always run them 100%

I have HDB bar guards and a Camel skidplate.  That is and will be the extent of the protection I'll run on this bike.  You can argue that you might save plastics with them, but if you're on rocky enough terrain, it's quite easy for a rock edge to jut past the guard and do damage anyhow.

• Like 3

I have Barkbusters, the OE rally skid plate, Acerbis engine case protectors and the Heed upper crash bars. I have tested all of these protective devices on my travels, with the bike taking more than one "dirt nap", I am glad I have all of them. I would have broken things for sure without them. 😄

PXL_20230726_161949062.jpg

Edited by neil_
  • Like 1

I have installed the Heavy Duties lower crashbars. They are lighter, they are not in the way of your knees and they are not as much visible.

If you lay your bike down on its side the bike will rest on your handlebars and the crashbars. The parts inbetween are not near the ground. (You can always have bad luck with a stone but it is the same case for high mount crashbars) 

22 minutes ago, neil_ said:

I have Barkbusters, the OE rally skid plate, Acerbis engine case protectors and the Heed upper crash bars. I have tested all of these protective devices on my travels, with the bike taking more than one "dirt nap", I am glad I have all of them. I would have broken things for sure without them. 😄

PXL_20230726_161949062.jpg

Very similar to my setup. I'm gonna add engine case protection as well, since I've recently scratched my alternator cover.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Not so 'fun' update: on a gravel parking lot I misstepped and dropped the bike. No damage at all except some scuffs on the (original) hand guard. This is without any crash bars

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, leclerq said:

Not so 'fun' update: on a gravel parking lot I misstepped and dropped the bike. No damage at all except some scuffs on the (original) hand guard. This is without any crash bars

On even ground, the bars take the impact and the bike lies on the pegs and pillion footrests.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Tenerider said:

On even ground, the bars take the impact and the bike lies on the pegs and pillion footrests.

If you drop it on the left…

On the right side the exhaust happily hit the ground. 😑

Edited by Maurizio_M
  • Like 2

50 minutes ago, Tenerider said:

Yeah, "even ground" is key there. They are crash bars, not drop bars 😄

• Like 1

advgoats.com

12 minutes ago, Maurizio_M said:

If you drop it on the left…

On the right side the exhaust happily hit the ground. 😑

Oh sure, you're right - I had a high exhaust from day one 😅

• Like 1

Love the AXP ski plate, quiet and covers a lot of the engine. I like the look of my OEM engine bars. Don't forget Barkbusters protect your hands and give a great "handle" if you need it. Dropped mine once trying to reverse course in deep sand, no damage. But I have been so close to going down in gravel or mud that I can see how easy it would be. Funny how the Tenere isn't heavy at all until it goes off on its own!

• Like 1