Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Living without crash bars?

leclerq

Since you don't always get to pick where you fall, I have the Outback Mototrek bars as insurance.  Also, with a top-heavy bike, it's nice to have places all around the bike to help lift it.  

20220603_142525.jpg.50f5e4c7e8fe4c065ec09be6811d8f7d.jpg

• Like 2

On 7/21/2023 at 5:27 PM, Tenerider said:

Good question. Since there aren't many rocks around the Netherlands, the chance of breaking the clutch or alternator case is quite low. Invest in sturdy handguards (Acerbis, Barkbusters, HDB), since the bars will hit the ground in (probably) all scenarios 😁

Due to the rather wide handlebars, there usually is some space left between the ground and the engine casings - at least on flat ground.

That being said, I am running Hepco&Becker Rally crashbars (protecting the side panels and, more important, the radiator!).

10cm shorter than you, quite long legs, and yes my knees touch them if I'm on the foremost part of the seat, but it doesn't compromise comfort or bike handling.

They did a good job until now, but I'm considering buying engine casing protectors and removing the crashbars completely. But I like their looks.

no stones hidden in the sand..

than you havent met them jet.  as thy are there.

how ever about the guards..  do you think you will need them with the light rides you do. if no than dont. 

if you think you can posebly want to go harder route's than i would suggest it.   there are small lower ones till what i use, heed bunkers.

it all depends on what you plan / want to ride.

i like challanges and i know i needed them as thy saved my / mybike quite a lot.

this from a fellow dutch 30+ guy.

• Like 1

I'm also  thinking to remove mine. But I also know that I felt like taking less risk when I didn't have them yet, which doesn't really assist with improving riding skill.

I currently have Puig crashbars (don't get those) and they bend at basically every drop.

One side even touched the side panel and now they are touching my knees as well.

The holes don't line up anymore and it's all under tension and I am quite sick of them 😂

At this point I want to go the most minimal way possible. Either the Outback Motortek low bars if I can find them, or the "Gardamoto" Pro bars.

I don't like how the OM mount to the engine though, like my Puig bars.

It just does not feel like a good idea and on FB there are multiple people reporting  stripped threads on the engine. (Huge PIA and will make your bike unridable)

The bike IMO looks way best without any bars and maybe I can convince myself to just pull them off this winter and ride without and just fit some engine covers.

For example Rob Baldinger on Youtube is also riding without them and his bike seems complete fine after multiple drops. 

Don't feel like you need to up-armor your T7 unless you want to.  Either or is fine, do it the way you want.  The side plastics are cheap and the water pump cover is cheap.  Less expensive than a lot of up-armor.

I only ride my T7 in the dirt.   I use pavement to connect dirt.  I have had the bike on both sides multiple times, the nature of dirt riding.  Nothing has broke yet.  I run the R&G case guards and the AXP skid plate.  I do not run rigid hand guards.  I've had too many bent handlebars using rigid hand guards.  I run flag hand guards on my dirt bikes.  This keeps bushes and tree limbs from applying the front brake without your permission.  I run "unbreakable" levers (yeah right) and wrap teflon tape under my lever mounts.  Move the lever mounts in-board as far as you can and leave them loose enough to rotate in a get off.  Just like your dirt bike.

Up-Armor might help you pick the bike up.  I ride solo a lot and when the T7 goes down it lies on the ground flat as a pancake.  It is the hardest bike to pick up that I have ever owned.  I have pondered if it might be easier to pick up if it was lying on up-armor instead of flat on its side.  Who knows...

Edited by Idarex
  • Like 2

• Moderators
28 minutes ago, Idarex said:

Don't feel like you need to up-armor your T7 unless you want to.  Either or is fine, do it the way you want.  The side plastics are cheap and the water pump cover is cheap.  Less expensive than a lot of up-armor.

I only ride my T7 in the dirt.   I use pavement to connect dirt.  I have had the bike on both sides multiple times, the nature of dirt riding.  Nothing has broke yet.  I run the R&G case guards and the AXP skid plate.  I do not run rigid hand guards.  I've had too many bent handlebars using rigid hand guards.  I run flag hand guards on my dirt bikes.  This keeps bushes and tree limbs from applying your front brake without your permission.  I run "unbreakable" levers (yeah right) and wrap teflon tape under my lever mounts.  Move the lever mounts in-board as far as you can and leave them loose enough to rotate in a get off.  Just like your dirt bike.

Up-Armor might help you pick the bike up.  I ride solo a lot and when the T7 goes down it lies on the ground flat as a pancake.  It is the hardest bike to pick up that I have ever owned.  I have pondered if it might be easier to pick up if it was lying on up-armor instead of flat on its side.  Who knows...

I agree, crashbars are fine for some, but add weight and with all the stripped engine/frame threads I've read about, I'm taking my chances without them. The Camel-ADV skid plate is my main protection and yes, the T7 is absolutely the hardest bike I've ever tried to pickup off the ground due to the pancake stance it assumes when not on the tires. 

• Like 2

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

On 7/22/2023 at 10:50 PM, Sapitch said:
On 7/22/2023 at 10:50 PM, Sapitch said:

...OEM crash bars were my choice as i don't like the ones who go around the front under the headlight.
I didn't want lower crash bars as i have long legs and feet...  They are a necessary insurance for me as i ride ruff stuff ...
So to answer your question, yes, crash bars are totally worth it for me.
The more you'll begin exploring with your T7, the more you will encounter ruff stuff

Couldn't have said it better myself.  These are not coffee shop bikes and ascetics and a minor addition of weight should always come second to practical riding function and protection.  I fitted the OEM bars too, after returning an SWmoto set that didn't fit well around the new pipe-cat arrangement.  If weight is an issue, fit a titanium can to offset it. 

I love those pictures of the bikes that have been up trails in the wet, all the gear covered in mud, and the jacket and helmet too no doubt.  All for the sake of having a 'cool' tail tidy

• Like 2

8 hours ago, winddown said:

I love those pictures of the bikes that have been up trails in the wet, all the gear covered in mud, and the jacket and helmet too no doubt. 
All for the sake of having a 'cool' tail tidy

Me too 

• Like 1

I run the Heavy Duties Enduro bars. 

A lower engine bar with good prtection but not over the top either.

they are low down, strong and also mount to more sensible places on the bike.

I got them as didnt want big massive bars, but wanted something to protect the radiator in case of a stupid or awkward fall.

Looks wise i think bike is nicer with out them but i was happy with the sacrafice. 

made from  21.3 mm with 2.6 mm thick wall steel pipe Designed to provide maximum protection Includes left and right crashbars MIG and TIG welded for extra strength Protected against corrosion by electrostatic...

IMG_4697.jpeg

IMG_4696.jpeg

IMG_4695.jpeg

IMG_4698.jpeg

Edited by john_aero
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, JB700 said:

Me too 

I don't pretend to be smart and experienced in offroad riding, I'm not!  But in a sense I don't have to be, all I need do is come here and read about what the majority of experienced riders are doing and I'm well on my way.   But a lot of it, like the mudguard, is just commotion sense.   Yeah I have a little hugger on my sportbike, it came with it as a mod and I won't alter it cause it does look cool.  But I won't ride that bike on a wet road, the amount of crud that the rear throws up over me and the back of the bike makes for a total clean when you get home again.  I saw a thread, elsewhere, when a T7 rider was on a muddy dirt road, factory tires, factory pegs with rubbers in, roadbike boots and a pile of gear on the back that would cripple a camel.  All the photos were basically of the bike laying on its side 🤭 

"Oh there is nothing wrong with dropping a dirt bike!"  Yeah well there is nothing wrong with keeping it upright either, and that's my aim.  All the safety gear, go slow, keep out of the mud, those are the keys to a good riding experience for noobs like me.  Though I must admit, after a year, I am going a fair bit faster now!  And that rear is sliding out in the corners now as it's want to do 😃

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, winddown said:

...And that rear is sliding out in the corners now as it's want to do 😃

In my region, windmill farms are the best place to practice drift.

My last session here:

• Like 1

I run a B&B bash plate and full outback motortek  crash bars. Has been laying over on both sides In everything from sand to rocky terrain and other than scuffs all is good. You never know when they are going to lay down. 

• 2 weeks later...

HEED; these can be heavy, but they are string & solid, I'm talking about the full bunker system. They look great too...

Nope, would be without protection...

20230905_124236.jpg

20230905_124215.jpg

20230908_191921.jpg

Thanks...

^^^^^ Nice PSA, I was about to do the same 🙂

I'm all for making your bike fit your purpose, what ever that be.   As for me I like to up armor, because I like nice things and don't like to buy replacement parts.  Being able to drop a bike with no detriment/cost has value to me, ever since I dropped my sportbike a few times some decades back.  On the other hand, 'ell if you own a house you can burn it down, just don't file a fraudulent insurance claim.

Being 'fit for use' is a way-of-life.  

25 minutes ago, Chris1974 said:

Public service anouncement.

Anyone following this thread should read this next thread: No more cracked fairings

Yes, these are very interesting.

It seems the only doubt remains for people, is the radiator safe on this bike without bars?

In my opinion, probably yes 99% unless you get really unlucky with a sharp rock in exactly the wrong place. 

At least I never once heard of a broken radiator on this bike. It's far inside on basically engine level, and the fairing is much wider. 

But I still think this is the one last reason that makes people leave the crashbars on the bike.

I wonder if there is a market for some kind of sturdy radiator frame, which seems a very common mod for dirtbikes.

Edited by OK185
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/17/2023 at 9:42 AM, john_aero said:

I run the Heavy Duties Enduro bars. 

A lower engine bar with good prtection but not over the top either.

they are low down, strong and also mount to more sensible places on the bike.

I got them as didnt want big massive bars, but wanted something to protect the radiator in case of a stupid or awkward fall.

Looks wise i think bike is nicer with out them but i was happy with the sacrafice. 

made from  21.3 mm with 2.6 mm thick wall steel pipe Designed to provide maximum protection Includes left and right crashbars MIG and TIG welded for extra strength Protected against corrosion by electrostatic...

IMG_4697.jpeg

IMG_4696.jpeg

IMG_4695.jpeg

IMG_4698.jpeg

I have recently received and assembled the Heavy Duties enduro crash bars and they look better than expected.

Still hasn’t tested them but there is no need either 😅

Edited by JaviPF
  • Like 1

I got the engine guard (crash bars) installed even before I pick up the bike, for me I know that I will drop that bike one day or the other and I ratter scratch that then the side panel. I think they offer some protection to the side panel and radiator, I think they look good as well and they are certainly not in the way of any kind, (I am 6ft (183cm tall ) I also don't think the additional weigh makes a differences, its not a racing bike so weigh is not that much of a factor.   

image.png.c3c45de100a1480a5fc3e2faf675d218.png

Edited by maddog123
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, maddog123 said:

I got the engine guard (crash bars) installed even before I pick up the bike, for me I know that I will drop that bike one day or the other and I ratter scratch that then the side panel. I think they offer some protection to the side panel and radiator, I think they look good as well and they are certainly not in the way of any kind, (I am 6ft (183cm tall ) I also don't think the additional weigh makes a differences, its not a racing bike so weigh is not that much of a factor.   

image.png.c3c45de100a1480a5fc3e2faf675d218.png

When picking up a T7, every gram counts 😁

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Tenerider said:

When picking up a T7, every gram counts 😁

well you got a point there... I haven't tried to pick it up from the ground yet. 

Heed crashbars basic do the job for me. After a year riding, I keep them for future rides 100%. I have fallen down pretty much, most times to right side. They saved my fairings many times. Seems like we have quite big problem with exhaust. It's bent now. I will change it soon as possible to some high exhaust.

• Like 1

On 10/18/2023 at 1:31 PM, JaviPF said:

I have recently received and assembled the Heavy Duties enduro crash bars and they look better than expected.

Still hasn’t tested them but there is no need either 😅

Well, I finally tested them yesterday crossing a dried river 😅

Lots of big stones, the bars performed pretty well. Some scratches on them but anything else  

Edited by JaviPF
  • Like 2

On 10/19/2023 at 4:03 AM, maddog123 said:

I got the engine guard (crash bars) installed even before I pick up the bike, for me I know that I will drop that bike one day or the other and I ratter scratch that then the side panel.  

I swapped out the similar motech ones which were a disaster to fit and got these too, the Yamaha ones.  Weight, it's not that big a deal, like 200kg or 210 kg, having the right tires with lots of tread makes more of a difference in my book. 

• Like 1