Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Cheapest Tubeless Conversion

Goody Boy

This method is gaining popularity here in the Philippines. I've personally tried it and it lasted the lifespan of my rear Motoz Tractionator Adventure, 13k km. I'm doing it again on a Motoz GPS tire. It's so simple that it actually sounds too good to be true.

All you have to do is:

1. Split a 14 inch inner tube open. The wider the tube, the easier. A 16-inch tube might work, but I haven't tried it.

2. Place the split tube on the rim and place lock the valve in place. Make sure the whole rim is covered with some material sticking over the edges of the rim.

3. Mount the tire back onto the rim. Make sure to pull the edges of the split inner tube over the rim and outside the bead of the tire.

4. Fill it up with air and you're good to go!

5. You may or may not add tire sealant. 

6. Cut off the excess inner tube sticking out of the tire bead.

Prep and install time is negligible, unlike Outex which takes more than a day or two. You don't even have to clean the rim. Plus no sealant is placed on the spoke ends so you can adjust your spokes anytime you wish. Just make sure to replace the split inner tube when you change tires as well.

viber_image_2023-08-02_09-23-01-008.jpg

viber_image_2023-08-02_09-23-01-091.jpg

viber_image_2023-08-02_09-23-00-800.jpg

viber_image_2023-08-02_09-23-00-930.jpg

• Like 1

In an emergency this could be a life saver.  The risk of using the tire, tube and rim as not intended, does scare me though.  I could never trust it.

On 8/6/2023 at 1:39 PM, Immiketoo said:

So you’re saying use a smaller tube than normally required?  You want it to stretch flat around the rim?

Yes. it seems a 14 inch tube works perfectly for an 18 inch rim. I did not personally do it with the front rim, since others who have tried it on the T7 (even Outex) says the bead comes off the rim with lower pressures.