Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Protaper Contour Handlebar

Boyca

Hey guys,

Bent my oem handlebar pretty bad and been riding with it for a while now. Got fed up and pretty impulsively purchased a ProTaper contour cr mid handlebar. Looks awesome, just arrived today.

My question is though, what will I be looking at in terms of fitment on the ends? I know they don't have any thread but I wonder if I even need that.
I believe my barkbusters come with expansion bolts? I have however seen people on here talk about having to thread the ends for the bar ends.

Anyone that has fitted this handlebar and is rocking some barkbusters or other type of guards?

I just want to be prepared for installation day, I know I should have checked all this beforehand.

protaper-lenker-handlebar-contour-1.webp.16fc2356a6ff8315144679b05fa5fc70.webp

16 hours ago, Boyca said:

Hey guys,

Bent my oem handlebar pretty bad and been riding with it for a while now. Got fed up and pretty impulsively purchased a ProTaper contour cr mid handlebar. Looks awesome, just arrived today.

My question is though, what will I be looking at in terms of fitment on the ends? I know they don't have any thread but I wonder if I even need that.
I believe my barkbusters come with expansion bolts? I have however seen people on here talk about having to thread the ends for the bar ends.

Anyone that has fitted this handlebar and is rocking some barkbusters or other type of guards?

I just want to be prepared for installation day, I know I should have checked all this beforehand.

protaper-lenker-handlebar-contour-1.webp.16fc2356a6ff8315144679b05fa5fc70.webp

This is the stack I used with shortened Oxford grips.

IMG_0994.jpeg

IMG_0997.jpeg

• Like 1

That's clean looking.

I ended up buying the specific barkbuster model for the tenere 700 that came with new barends and it's own threaded bolt. 

In hindsight that wasn't such a good idea I guess.

You have any idea what mm size those expansion bolts are in that system? They do sell them online as spare parts, and half the price of the tap drill I'd have to buy so..

20211113_124051(1).jpg.a3ddc2ee3dae65c17f50a930c30db0b5.jpg

Screenshot2023-08-06at14_18_48.png.f24c395d918f44a43c3bb3cef3de083b.png

I use Bullet Proof Designs Threaded Bar End Inserts on my T7 and KTM off-road bikes. It's a more solid option for bush guards (in my opinion).

@174ktm I mean isn't that exactly what the t7 barkbuster set does? It uses an m16 bolt as insert where you bolt your end weight and outside alu bracket into. The only problem is that new handlebars don't come with pre tapped thread. So my dilemma is either spend buck on getting the thread tools and do it myself or find a cheaper expansion bolt solution, which for my kind of riding would be plenty good I'm sure.

Edited by Boyca

I understand what you are asking now. I always use different bars on my bikes and I do not use bar end weights.

• Like 1

Today I fit the contour bars on my bike. 
Didn't go entirely without problems, still have things to figure out the barkbusters that just don't fit anymore.

First of all the clutch lever assembly clamp didn't want to go over the new bars, the knurling wasn't allowing it to, and the oxfords heated grips also didn't want to slide over due to their hard internal plastic tube.

20230812_150127.jpg.bd15b59acb5539526280964bdc6f05c9.jpg

Had to sand down the knurling:

20230812_155930.jpg.a8e359cc5460e7184894c5ab1f74b68f.jpg

That got things to fit for the main controls.

However trying on the barkbusters with the new expansion bolts just proved to be impossible. The inner clamp just doesn't reach the hole to bolt it together.

2xXTam9.png.a6d9fe84b3dedc9d94b6afb0ddf94457.png

Not sure what my best approach would be here though.

Either drill a hole closer to where the clamp is and bend the guards. Or order a pair of tapered swivel mounts from Barkbusters that cost me more than my handlebar..

BTC-06.jpg

Kind of annoyed, I was hoping I could've fit my barkbuster bar end weights too but the bolt that goes into the expansion insert is just too short.

If anyone has input, feel free to let me know.

This is how it looks now, very short look to the handlebars without bb's or end weights. Not a fan.

20230812_175616.jpg.e87f46602c7181f4b046c46e1d2ea776.jpg

Edited by Boyca