Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Throttle Lock with Bark Busters ( KAOKO )

Phil TOR.PHX

I just finished a 9000 km (5600 mile) trip to the Arctic on my T7.  On a ride of this length, some kind of throttle lock or cruise control seems more of a necessity than a luxury. There were a number of 800-1000 km days.

I had installed an Atlas Throttle Lock before I left. It failed partway through the trip so I MacGyvered a backup with rubber tubing and a  hose clamp. Not elegant, but it got me home. 

I’m now looking at the Kaoka model that claims to work with original Yamaha hand guards (see attached). I have Barkbusters installed and wondered if anyone had tried that set up?

IMG_0390.jpeg

I have the Kaoko with OEM guards that has done 7000 miles, mostly motorways and full day autobahn rides. it's absolutely faultless, and to be fair, i cant really see how it would fail? a puff of silicone spray every now and again. It's basically a glorified nut and bolt! 

What happened to yours??

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ninot7 said:

I have the Kaoko with OEM guards that has done 7000 miles, mostly motorways and full day autobahn rides. it's absolutely faultless, and to be fair, i cant really see how it would fail? a puff of silicone spray every now and again. It's basically a glorified nut and bolt! 

What happened to yours??

Thanks.   Just to be clear, it wasn’t a Kaoko that failed, it was the Atlas. There is a tiny screw that locks the device to the underlying tube. It’s stripped under use and the throttle lock came apart.

My question is: will Kaoko work with Barkbuster hand guards?  

Edited by Phil TOR.PHX

40 minutes ago, RLEJr said:

I just bought the Black Dog BDCW Throttle Control. It has great reviews. I also ordered a set of Barkbusters. Due any day now and I will be installing the combo as soon a they arrive. Might be worth a look for you........

https://blackdogcw.com/bdcw-throttle-control/

The Black Dog looks very interesting, thanks. Please let us know how it goes when you go to install the Barkbusters.

Reading the Black Dog website, they highlight the following statement.  I am not sure there is an extra inch of play with the Barkbusters.  It will be tight before the inner Barkbuster clamp runs out of room.

• The right handguard must have the ability to move outward about 1 inch to accommodate the width of the throttle control
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Phil TOR.PHX said:

Thanks.   Just to be clear, it wasn’t a Kaoko that failed, it was the Atlas. There is a turtle tiny screw that locks the device to the underlying tube. It’s stripped under use and the throttle lock came apart.

My question is: will Kaoko work with Barkbuster hand guards?  

Oh i see. Makes sense. 
so there are 2 versions from Kaoko specific to the Tenere. 
1- Kaoko for the OEM handguards

2-Kaoko for the Barkbuaters Handguards. 

i take it you need the BB specific one for the Tenere. 

1 minute ago, ninot7 said:

Oh i see. Makes sense. 
so there are 2 versions from Kaoko specific to the Tenere. 
1- Kaoko for the OEM handguards

2-Kaoko for the Barkbuaters Handguards. 

i take it you need the BB specific one for the Tenere. 

Very helpful. The Barkbuster options weren’t showing on domestic resellers sites, but they are there on the manufactures site out of South Africa.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Phil TOR.PHX said:

I just finished a 9000 km (5600 mile) trip to the Arctic on my T7.  On a ride of this length, some kind of throttle lock or cruise control seems more of a necessity than a luxury. There were a number of 800-1000 km days.

I had installed an Atlas Throttle Lock before I left. It failed partway through the trip so I MacGyvered a backup with rubber tubing and a  hose clamp. Not elegant, but it got me home. 

I’m now looking at the Kaoka model that claims to work with original Yamaha hand guards (see attached). I have Barkbusters installed and wondered if anyone had tried that set up?

IMG_0390.jpeg

I am currently running the Kaoko with Barkbusters on my tenere

Personally in my opinion, it just works.. but I wish it was easy to use like the Atlas.

Kaoko is definitely rugged and it cannot be activated accidental from off roading as you need to twist it along with the throttle to lock in place, it can annoying to set at first but after getting use to it its fairly simply.

The Barkbuster Model also works with SW Motech Lever Guards.

My bike has been dropped hard many times on the right side and the kaoko bar weight has protected the ends and continues to work

If you need a throttle lock and you so some decent off roading, I would recommend it

• Like 1

@Phil TOR.PHX did you read the thread I linked to? All your questions are answered including part numbers.

FWIW, I am running the Kaoko with Barkbusters and Koso heated grips on stock bars. All play nicely with each other.  You have to fiddle with the Kaoko washers when you make any changes, but it's not hard at all. 

Edited by Hollybrook
  • Like 1

The Kaoko looks like a nice option. I have the Atlas and it’s pretty solid too. One question for those of you who use Kaoko: Do you have to abandon the anti-vibration weight that is on the end of the handlebar to use it?

I’ve got the Kaoko with barkbusters and it works well, it’s the third bike I’ve used a Kaoko on. I did have to add an extra washer more than the instructions suggested. I had a Black Dog throttle lock before on and prefer the Kaoko.

The Kaoko replaces the bar end weight on the throttle side and you retain the weight on the clutch side. 

@Phil TOR.PHX

I installed the Black Dog BDCW Throttle Control with my OEM handguards (BarkBuster parts on backorder).

It looks and feels high quality, but I had a lot of difficulty getting it to hold when engaged. 

The root of the problem was slippage of the throttle tube end or thrust washer against the smooth metal body of the throttle lock.

I stuck a piece of golf grip tape (sticky on both sides) to one side of the plastic thrust washer, cutting the tape down to match the inner and outer diameters of the washer. Then I fixed the sticky side of the plastic thrust washer directly to the smooth metal body of the throttle lock. I rough sanded the end of the throttle tube and throttle tube side of the plastic thrust washer.

It is holding now. TBD for how long, but I'm feeling pretty confident about it. Not something I should have had to problem solve at $160. 

I don't like having to engage/disengage it with the outer portion of the palm of my hand, as you basically have to let the throttle bounce back to zero and then roll it back up to your desired setting. The outer palm engage bit is no different that a Kaoko though. I like the disengage movement better than the Kaoko. Once engage I find it easy enough to keep my hand relaxed on the grip and make small adjustments to maintain a constant speed. In that respect I am able to rest my hand enough to prevent fatigue.

Having used a Kaoka, and reviewed all the other options out there till I'm blue in the face, I'm going to stick with the BDCW for now.  I definitely see a Mr. Cruise in my future at some point.

I expect it will work fine with the Barkbusters when I install them, if not will update this post.

Edited by RLEJr

I have them both for sale as I went to different bars and handguards. 

Wondering how the Kaoko's have been working for you guys?  It seems to take a bit more fiddling to engage than I had imagined.  I've got it on two bikes, so it's not just a one-off issue.

I find that to engage it tight enough, I have to spin the dial in a few times - more than the arc spanned by just twisting the throttle itself.  Makes for some fiddling around with my 4th/5th finger on the Kaoko while trying to hold the throttle stable.

If I make it so tight that it grips with just that short arc, then there's too much bite on the throttle which then won't snap back to idle easily when I want it to disengage.

Thinking that the system would work better if the threads advanced more aggressively - i.e, they engage/disengage more with a shorter twist