Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Installi9ng Garmin GPS on cross bar

Allen Kelly

Hi all, I have just spent the morning installing and mounting my Garmin Zumo 396 on the cross bar. To do this properly I removed the right side tank plastic and the top windshield. I used the heated grip wire not the plug which I left just in case I decide at some stage to install the heated grips.  I removed all the tape and cut into the plastic sleave to expose the wires. There 2 red/white and 1 black. You only need 1 R/W and the black. Positive to R/W and negative to black. I used some Scotch extreme grip tape to hold the regulator up under the tank. Then fed the cable through to the cross bar. I used some clear hose on the cross bar to size it up for the Ram Mount fitting it also adds extra grip so the mount is very firm. My Zumo is fitted with a lockable device for security purposes from (www.zumolock.com) I then tested that it operated correctly (and it did) All that was left to do was to tidy up the wire and reattach the side panel and windshield.     

IMG_1272-1.jpg

IMG_1273-1.jpg

IMG_1274-1.jpg

IMG_1275-1.jpg

IMG_1276-1.jpg

IMG_1277-1.jpg

IMG_1280-1.jpg

IMG_1282-1.jpg

IMG_1285-1.jpg

IMG_1286-1.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Allen Kelly said:

Hi all, I have just spent the morning installing and mounting my Garmin Zumo 396 on the cross bar. To do this properly I removed the right side tank plastic and the top windshield. I used the heated grip wire not the plug which I left just in case I decide at some stage to install the heated grips.  I removed all the tape and cut into the plastic sleave to expose the wires. There 2 red/white and 1 black. You only need 1 R/W and the black. Positive to R/W and negative to black. I used some Scotch extreme grip tape to hold the regulator up under the tank. Then fed the cable through to the cross bar. I used some clear hose on the cross bar to size it up for the Ram Mount fitting it also adds extra grip so the mount is very firm. My Zumo is fitted with a lockable device for security purposes from (www.zumolock.com) I then tested that it operated correctly (and it did) All that was left to do was to tidy up the wire and reattach the side panel and windshield.     

IMG_1272-1.jpg

IMG_1273-1.jpg

IMG_1274-1.jpg

IMG_1275-1.jpg

IMG_1276-1.jpg

IMG_1277-1.jpg

IMG_1280-1.jpg

IMG_1282-1.jpg

IMG_1285-1.jpg

IMG_1286-1.jpg

thank you!

• Like 4