Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Dufflebag without luggage rack

NordicT7

Hi gang,

Need your advice and (un)biased opinions. Im looking to purchase either the Enduristan Blizzard L, or its Kriega OS equivalent and add a dufflebag for the camping stuff.
I prefer to keep the bike clean without to much racks/plates etc. Does anyone has an idea on how to mount a dufflebag (together with the Blizzards) without a luggage rack?

Alternatively.. please suggest a minimal rack that is not Donnertech expensive 😄 
I looked at Atelier7 but am not too keen on their ordering process needing sensitive data.
Perun-moto rack is minimalist also but I guess that one will interfere with the mount for the Mivv dakar.
Camel adventure is nice but I would prefer not drilling in the plastics.

Any ideas?

Boano race parts sells Atelier7 - got it from them. Very fair shipping costs, I think it was DHL Express. Super-fast processing overall.

• Like 1

I recently got a Kriega os base with 2 os18's and so far am very happy with it. There is plenty of room to strap things across the back seat while using them. Also very easy and quick to fit or remove from the bike. I have only been day tripping with mine but the compression straps mean they adapt well to varying loads.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

• Like 1

Hey all. I’ve had pretty good success strapping a tent and sleeping bag to a small, soft top bag (Kreiga on my case). This was all I took for two days on the Washington BDR and one night of camping. However, I do like Neil’s setup. Some day I’ll get a pair of soft panniers.

IMG_2181.jpeg

IMG_2188.jpeg

Edited by Michael Kennedy

Look up Rok Straps. That's how I strap on my duffle bag to the pillion seat. You'll need some sort of attachment points though like grab rails.

• Like 1

Goody, the rok straps look great. I've been looking for something more durable than the stretchy voile (sp?) straps I have in my picture. Thanks.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Goody Boy said:

Look up Rok Straps. That's how I strap on my duffle bag to the pillion seat. You'll need some sort of attachment points though like grab rails.

Thanks, I don’t want handles as I feel they make adding the kriega/enduristan luggage’s more complicated. A minimalist rack would be best for my needs I’d say.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Michael Kennedy said:

Hey all. I’ve had pretty good success strapping a tent and sleeping bag to a small, soft top bag (Kreiga on my case). This was all I took for two days on the Washington BDR and one night of camping. However, I do like Neil’s setup. Some day I’ll get a pair of soft panniers.

IMG_2181.jpeg

IMG_2188.jpeg

Intuitive, was it stable? I like soft panniers as they make even day trips easier. I’m looking to get small ones tho, max 12l/side, which should carry food/beers, some clothes and cooking gear/tools, and strap a duffle with tent, mattress and bag to the seat.

2 minutes ago, NordicT7 said:

Thanks, I don’t want handles as I feel they make adding the kriega/enduristan luggage’s more complicated. A minimalist rack would be best for my needs I’d say.

Agree, handles are really great for picking the bike up, but an OS-Base or a Reckless system (especially) won't work as good any more. Plus, they cover the handles and renders them useless when luggage is mounted. That being said, I sometimes would like to have handles 😄

9 hours ago, neil_ said:

I recently got a Kriega os base with 2 os18's and so far am very happy with it. There is plenty of room to strap things across the back seat while using them. Also very easy and quick to fit or remove from the bike. I have only been day tripping with mine but the compression straps mean they adapt well to varying loads.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Best looking set tbh, look like the 12l when all compressed 🧐.

how do you attach the duffle without a rack?

main reason for me leaning towards the Enduristan is that the top of the bags sit flush with my (rally) seat so the duffle has a full with base to rest on. I will admit that the kriega set looks a lot better!

9 hours ago, Tenerider said:

Boano race parts sells Atelier7 - got it from them. Very fair shipping costs, I think it was DHL Express. Super-fast processing overall.

Man this comment is what I was looking for 😎 

imo the best looking rack out there, I just didn’t like they need your tax nr.

cheers pal!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Tenerider said:

Agree, handles are really great for picking the bike up, but an OS-Base or a Reckless system (especially) won't work as good any more. Plus, they cover the handles and renders them useless when luggage is mounted. That being said, I sometimes would like to have handles 😄

There are deffinetly nice racks (no pun intended) out there with optional handles. I think that if you pick the enduristan panniers you could even route the straps under the seat and reattach the grab handles. Best of both worlds.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, NordicT7 said:

Man this comment is what I was looking for 😎 

imo the best looking rack out there, I just didn’t like they need your tax nr.

cheers pal!

I can only imagine that they mean  your EU VAT number - which is only applicable if you're running an EU registered business. That way, they can deduct the VAT from the final invoice.

If you are a private customer, you don't need to worry about it.

Just strap it across the rear seat with some Rokstraps? They even put tie down points there.

In some conditions (downhill on gravel mostly)  it can be a little cramped as it gets in your way. 

But I prefer it this way, all weight is in front of the rear axle. 

I noticed that putting weight on the rear of the bike really ruins it's handling, so I'm keeping it as light as possible there and far forward. 

1 hour ago, NordicT7 said:

Best looking set tbh, look like the 12l when all compressed 🧐.

how do you attach the duffle without a rack?

main reason for me leaning towards the Enduristan is that the top of the bags sit flush with my (rally) seat so the duffle has a full with base to rest on. I will admit that the kriega set looks a lot better!

I also have the rally seat. When you buy the OS base, you get 5 tie down loops which you can attach under the rear part of the seat (using the screws for the seat cowl), that combined with the loops on the OS base itself and also loops on the pannier bags mean you could strap just about anything you like down. Also don't forget that the panniers are soft, so if you you need to put something big across the back seat then the comers of the panniers will deform to fit, assuming they are not completely rammed full of stuff lol.

Edited by neil_
  • Like 1

I use the Oxford T30 roll bag. It’s just attached across the seat with a couple of bungee cords, super solid and quick to mount and remove.

IMG_2954.jpeg

IMG_2953.jpeg

I’ve got this tourtecs throw over bag which was pretty good

i did have a r&g side rack and put a different rear fairing on to save mine but it didn’t mark it 

01AA2374-DA7A-4E09-AD2C-80B0C91D2D04.jpeg

Edited by Lewie
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, NordicT7 said:

Intuitive, was it stable? I like soft panniers as they make even day trips easier. I’m looking to get small ones tho, max 12l/side, which should carry food/beers, some clothes and cooking gear/tools, and strap a duffle with tent, mattress and bag to the seat.

Yes, it was super stable. The Kreiga top pack comes with a mounting setup that screws into the frame under the pillion seat. So I strapped my tent, bag, etc into that same setup. The only worry is if there is too much weight it could over stress those mounts? But a single tent and a single sleeping bag seemed light enough. I was hitting the BDR pretty hard for 2 days and it was fine from what I could tell. But something like a Reckless set or Kreiga's soft set are probably better if you have them.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RiderEh said:

How about this one? https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002680823327.html

Here is the review: 

AVvXsEj95cR4Me9dOELvcetUQp_AbBwdRU7fpLRU

Yamaha Tenere 700, Yamaha Super Tenere 1200 ES, Ride Reviews

Cheers, I looked at alt rider and the panonian? rack as well but the construction underneath the tail would eliminate the option of a mivv Dakar exhaust. I don’t have one yet but I’m not ruling out having one in the future.

8 hours ago, neil_ said:

I also have the rally seat. When you buy the OS base, you get 5 tie down loops which you can attach under the rear part of the seat (using the screws for the seat cowl), that combined with the loops on the OS base itself and also loops on the pannier bags mean you could strap just about anything you like down. Also don't forget that the panniers are soft, so if you you need to put something big across the back seat then the comers of the panniers will deform to fit, assuming they are not completely rammed full of stuff lol.

Thanks Neil, seems the way to go. Was already set on enduristan or Kriega set but was concerned I needed a rack to tie down the extra roll bag with camping gear. Seems that’s it not entirely necessary. 
ill probably go for a rack regardless as I very much like the atelier7 Arnold minimalist. But it’s nice to see the 18l kriega on a t7. Do you have pick of them filled to capacity by any chance?

Enduristan blizzards XL Cheaper than Kriega  and just as good with a Adventure spec rear rack strap what you like on that.

Edited by Mapbook
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, NordicT7 said:

Thanks Neil, seems the way to go. Was already set on enduristan or Kriega set but was concerned I needed a rack to tie down the extra roll bag with camping gear. Seems that’s it not entirely necessary. 
ill probably go for a rack regardless as I very much like the atelier7 Arnold minimalist. But it’s nice to see the 18l kriega on a t7. Do you have pick of them filled to capacity by any chance?

I can get some more pictures tomorrow. I considered getting a rack, but decided against it, I just couldn't get excited about researching rear racks 🙃. Also, having weight high up at the back is less than ideal for difficult off road riding. Especially as most racks will live on your bike, even when you aren't carrying anything. I like being able to remove the panniers and harness easily if I don't need them.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mapbook said:

Enduristan blizzards Cheaper than Kriega  and just as good with a Adventure spec rear rack strap what you like on that.

Exactly what I run and brilliant. The Adventure Spec rack is alloy and super light. I've done 2 x 7 day tours with this set up. Super stable, slim, light and completely waterproof. The Enduristan is real quality. I run large 

• Like 1

have no experience with it, but i hear good things from red mamut as well. [polish]

i for my self have advworks bags.  you can use em with a rack, like rideadv Australia.  or without, like aRieman.

alternative is lomo. and no its not a cheap new brand as thy make stuff for water rafting for some years now.

giant loop has a line up. no experience with.

enduristan.  no experience with.

used to have kriega. and still have, think thy are awesome. but to my taste a bit to expensive. if you wanna add stuff.

mosko moto. expensive tough i really like the mosko moto's layout.

i think its a bit of a thing you need to look in to your self. 

i for one have a pannier rack of ride avd.  its a bit more forwards. so you cant really take a passenger then. how ever those rack's saved my leg's from being stuck a few times. and the weight of luggage is in the right place.

easy to take off once you dont need em.  but i understand its not the charm most people go for.

how ever i think thy are darn handy.

have to try the advworkx sometime like aRieman has em set up on a t7 in a travel video of him and a friend. see if i like it more or not [point of no return] .

im worried that the plastic is not up to the task.