Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Trailmax Mission Front End Bounce?!

ninot7

3000 km into my tour i have noticed a slight bounce on tarmac at around 30mph at the front. Dunlop Mission Trailmaxes, 32 psi and spokes are all tight. Unable to check truing but no reason to believe it’s off for now. 
Anybody had any experience with the Trailmaxes front end bounce? They seem ok at higher speeds, no bar shake or anything else. Bizarre.

On 8/25/2023 at 10:38 AM, ninot7 said:

3000 km into my tour i have noticed a slight bounce on tarmac at around 30mph at the front. Dunlop Mission Trailmaxes, 32 psi and spokes are all tight. Unable to check truing but no reason to believe it’s off for now. 
Anybody had any experience with the Trailmaxes front end bounce? They seem ok at higher speeds, no bar shake or anything else. Bizarre.

Yes, but it was because the bead did not seat for me consistently around the entire rim.   For about a 4-6 inch section, you can see that it drops into the rim.  Have installed the same tire twice (first time swapping from my MotoZ's for a longer pavement trip and the second time fixing a flat in Oregon) and both times the tire is visually out and it certainly causes a bounce.  It did however, sort itself after pumping the brakes and doing some high speed cornering in pretty high temps (Oregon trip).  Maybe it is the tire?  Lots of bead lube, so not sure what else the issue could be. 

• Like 1

• Moderators

Moved from General Discussion.  I'm of the opinion that many tires, although made to " exacting" specs, have differences.   My first TrailMax Mission was spot on for balance and handling right out of the gate. My second? Not so much. It wandered a bit for the 500 or so miles and although it didn't " bounce" it wasn't as smooth as the first. After the 500 mile mark, it seemed to wear in and it finished off with a total of 6,480 miles with 6/32" tread remaining. I didn't feel like rolling the dice again on one so I mounted up a AX-41, which is a little less stable on the highway vs the TMM, but it's much better off road.  

Hopefully yours will settle down for you like mine did.

• Like 3

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS