Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Gaerne G Dakar vs Forma Adventure and Terra

RiderEh

I've been shopping around for boots as I was wanting something waterproof. Disclosure: my current boots are Gaerne SG11's and I'm a hard enduro offroad rider. After trying on the Forma Adventure and Terra Evo I am settling on the Gaerne G Dakar. The main reasoning is the protection. I felt the Forma's were both very flimsy, specially the Adventure without the hinge, though the Terra hinge really didn't provide much. I also feel the Dakar has a stiffer sole for more standing riding. 

Fit was very similar on all three boots, I'd use a size 13 US / 48 EUR in all of them. The Gaerne may be a bit bigger as the 47's fit ok but I'm going larger to as they squish my small toes a bit.

Anyways I just thought I'd share my shopping experience in case it helps someone.

• Like 1

I'm looking to replace my Toucan's, so very timely post. I LOVE my Toucan's, but they don't love me. They are 2 years old and haven't seen extreme duty, yet they have come apart where the over the foot strap connects on the outside of my right foot. Not impressed for a $700 CAD boot! I'll have a look at the Gaerne's later today.

I think I have Yamaha disease...

20 minutes ago, Canzvt said:

I'm looking to replace my Toucan's, so very timely post. I LOVE my Toucan's, but they don't love me. They are 2 years old and haven't seen extreme duty, yet they have come apart where the over the foot strap connects on the outside of my right foot. Not impressed for a $700 CAD boot! I'll have a look at the Gaerne's later today.

You may want to check out the Alpinestar Tech 7 Drystar as well, it's their waterproof version of the Tech 7 MX boot.

Consider Gaerne fastback enduro’s & some waterproof socks. Almost all ‘adventure’ boots compromise protection for sake of comfort.

• Like 1

I have the Forma Adventure boots and they are what I ride in the most.  They are really street boots with very minimal protection for off road. Any time I am riding terrain rougher than a gravel road, I wear Sidi Crossfires and put up with the annoying squeaks when walking. 

Edited by Hollybrook
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, ninot7 said:

sidi adv 2 is what you want.

I disagree, they offer no ankle protection, the hinge is not of much use. Can fold them sideways with one hand.

Gaerne Fastbacks are really stiff, almost comparable to an MX boot, but a little comfier.

I myself am by the way totally happy with my Crossfire 3 SRS, can wear them all day without any issues. But walking is awkward 😬

17 minutes ago, Tenerider said:

I disagree, they offer no ankle protection, the hinge is not of much use. Can fold them sideways with one hand.

Gaerne Fastbacks are really stiff, almost comparable to an MX boot, but a little comfier.

I myself am by the way totally happy with my Crossfire 3 SRS, can wear them all day without any issues. But walking is awkward 😬

I agree that you disagree, however going with the choices the OP mentioned, Sidi adv 2s offer the best protection out of the 3. 

10 minutes ago, ninot7 said:

I agree that you disagree, however going with the choices the OP mentioned, Sidi adv 2s offer the best protection out of the 3. 

Got it! This sounds reasonable, at least I know first-hand that Forma Adventures are the Scorpion STRs of boots: Look a lot more offroad capable than they are 😁

4 minutes ago, Tenerider said:

Got it! This sounds reasonable, at least I know first-hand that Forma Adventures are the Scorpion STRs of boots: Look a lot more offroad capable than they are 😁

I have both the Sidis and Formas. Formas are super comfy and id take them for road-only touring. Nevertheless 1.5 years on they lost their waterproofness. 
sidis are tough and waterproof and i take those whenever there is a hint of off road. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ninot7 said:

I have both the Sidis and Formas. Formas are super comfy and id take them for road-only touring. Nevertheless 1.5 years on they lost their waterproofness. 
sidis are tough and waterproof and i take those whenever there is a hint of off road. 

My Formas also aren't waterproof any more, also 1.5 years only. Comfy they are indeed!

• Like 1

forma's ..  not an fan.  i recently bought the leat 5.5's with a huge discount.  cant say i dont like em. [4.5 also have water prove stuff]

i have old forma boots, they are waterproof and very comfy. however years and years later they stink. however reviews of newer ones are not great.

i use forma dominator mx boots offroad and offer great protection, ankle hinge and are fairly waterproof unless walking through rivers

I would replace mine with newer forma adventure boots until saw poor reviws of newer models

Edited by john_aero