Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Longest day in the saddle.

Redneckj

did 10 hours few weeks ago and mate did 12 as he had to drive up to meet me. don't know miles but was 3 fuel stops

9 hours ago, Redneckj said:

I’m no Iron butt rider.  Don’t claim to be and will never be.  Last Thursday was my longest day and most miles traveled on the T7.  

IMG_0563.png

You're lightyears closer to being an iron butt than me - 600 mi seem impossible for me!

• Like 1

• Members

840 miles in 13 hours, 38 minutes.  New Mexico to Mississippi in one day.  Never again.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

• Premium Member

Did longest 15 hours in 2005 on a Triumph Tiger 955i, with a couple of one hour stops.... It's the mental tiredness that is the real problem. I sleep on next morning ferry across to Corsica and then after getting off boat into nearest campsite I lay in a tent all that afternoon and day. So I had to have a day off the bike after that epic arriving into Livorno at midnight from mid France that morning due to a Mont Blanc Tunnel closure and a me missing a turn. Therefore big massive days (unless terrain dictates it) are no real trip advantage as you loose a day at some-point or way.

12 minutes ago, Noel McCutcheon said:

Did longest 15 hours in 2005 on a Triumph Tiger 955i, with a couple of one hour stops.... It's the mental tiredness that is the real problem. I sleep on next morning ferry across to Corsica and then after getting off boat into nearest campsite I lay in a tent all that afternoon and day. So I had to have a day off the bike after that epic arriving into Livorno at midnight from mid France that morning due to a Mont Blanc Tunnel closure and a me missing a turn. Therefore big massive days (unless terrain dictates it) are no real trip advantage as you loose a day at some-point or way.

Good point! In my case, it's not only mental tiredness, but usually also some backache. Somehow my back isn't as relaxed as it should be when riding.

200 miles is my comfort limit, the most I have went is 400 miles or so.

I am on on my fourth seat, my scrawny old-man butt is the weak link.

• Like 2

We are all tattooed in our cradles with the beliefs of our tribe

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

20 minutes ago, Hibobb said:

200 miles is my comfort limit, the most I have went is 400 miles or so.

I am on on my fourth seat, my scrawny old-man butt is the weak link.

Try some padded cyclists shorts that should help your scrawny old man butt

18 minutes ago, Mapbook said:

Try some padded cyclists shorts

Yup, Moto-Skiveez shorts... I tried them and they helped slightly (But were HOT on warm days).

Tried air-hawk seat pad, sheep-skin, gell....

I had "Buns of Steel" in my youth, alas... those days are gone!

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

16 hours ago, Redneckj said:

I’m no Iron butt rider.  Don’t claim to be and will never be.  Last Thursday was my longest day and most miles traveled on the T7.  

IMG_0563.png

I did about the same two years ago coming back from the MABDR.  Rode about 650 miles in about 16 hours all twisty back roads on the T7. I was completely gassed when I got home.  Also destroyed the front Motoz Rallz tire from hard trail braking into fairly high speed corners.  The front knobs were worn at a 30 degree angle when I got home. 

• Members

+1 on Moto-Skiveez and Airhawks.  The Moto-Skiveez Cruisers are more comfortable with  the T7 seat than the "adventure" model.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Liquidape said:

I did about the same two years ago coming back from the MABDR.  Rode about 650 miles in about 16 hours all twisty back roads on the T7. I was completely gassed when I got home.  Also destroyed the front Motoz Rallz tire from hard trail braking into fairly high speed corners.  The front knobs were worn at a 30 degree angle when I got home. 

I put my stock wheels with the stock tires back on just for the trip I went on.  I knew there was going to be a fair amount of highway miles.  

• Like 1

Moab UT to Ridgecrest CA, May 19, 2023. Left Moab at 7am - Arrived in Ridgecrest at 7:30 - 693 miles in 13.5 hrs (1hr time change). T7's are NOT made for slab riding!!! Had a good sleep that night!

• Like 2

I think I have Yamaha disease...

T7's are not made for slab riding....True but after a lot of changes, Sargent seat good kit but sparsely upholstered extra foam and a gel insert by  https://www.viking-motorcycle-seats.co.uk, tall screen and side deflectors, 20mm bar risers, grip puppies, 16T gearbox sprocket.

Six changes that make it nicer to ride overall.  

Edited by Mapbook

• 1 month later...

Dud you spend 13h on your bike 930km (611miles), if this is not the definition of having a Iron butt I don't know what is ... Stock seat ?  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, maddog123 said:

Dud you spend 13h on your bike 930km (611miles), if this is not the definition of having a Iron butt I don't know what is ... Stock seat ?  

One piece comfort Seat Concepts.  

My longest day was 930km, give or take, in 11 hours on my DR650(tenere seat is great, lol)   Longest on the T7 so far was around 670km, cant remember how long, but it was a good chunk of the day, still on the stock seat.

• Like 1

The longest day on the saddle for me has been 828km in 9 hours 40 minutes (excluding breaks) on the last endurance-type event I took part in (North Island 800 which is held every year in New Zealand).

Things that I definitely want to improve on my T7 are

- Seat, despite having a better ATV cover on it, after about 7 odd hours, my butt was crying to get off the bike

-  Windscreen, despite having the windscreen risers installer, it still wasn't enough, I think another 1 inch of rise would have been perfect. Of course could do with a wider windscreen as well

- Rider, this essential component definitely needs to build himself better to survive that long on the saddle without soooo many aches and pains 🤣

Meet BigBlu - 2022 Tenere 700 | Yamaha OEM chain guide | Yamaha OEM crash guard | Givi Rear luggage rack | Givi BN42 top box | Black Widow 300mm Hexagonal exhaust | Acerbis High Fender | Windscreen risers | ProTaper Evo low handlebar | Oxford Integrated heated grips | Upshift Retro Speedblock Blue graphic kit | QuadLock wireless charger | BarkBuster Storm Handguards | Mitas E07+ rear tyre | Shinko E804 front tyre | MotoMount Radar screamer & LED visual alert | Custom half tail tidy kit |

700 km record so far. 

Capable 800...850 km, not more.

Definitely need to improve saddle, not desided yet wich way.

Did 870km (probably more cos that's from Google maps) in one hit on a suzuki gs850g (no fairing) ìn about 1984 with a holdall on my back (arms through handles!  It was hell. Half was in the dark. Going from home back to army base after weekend leave cos I wanted transport at base.

• Like 1

On a V-Strom 650 a couple of years ago, had to make a 1250km (780 mi) run home from an interstate trip to beat border closures for Covid lockdown. From memory it took approx 15-16hrs…was pretty cooked when I got home. Most I’ve done on the T7 is 850km (stock seat). 

• Like 1

• Moderators

Ok, I'll bite. Wasn't going to publicly humiliate myself, but others have mentioned long distance mileage suffered on other bikes, so figured I'd chime in. My dumbest decision ( to date) was to accept an Iron Butt challenge from a friend that had designed a very scenic,  but technical route to complete the required 1,000 miles in under 24 hrs. I rode my 05' FJR and won't detail the entire route, but highlights were crossing the California Sierra Nevada mountains twice in rain, sleet, wind and a forest fire, fighting rush hour traffic in the Oakland Bay area for 50 miles ( lane split the entire way with side cases installed) and fought 25- 40 mph winds almost the entire day in June of 2006. I completed 1,023 miles (1,646 km) in 17 hrs and 50 minutes beating my goal of under 18 hours. 

The take away from that ride is fuel management while riding in high winds and being mentally fatigued is difficult, it almost had me walking around 1am due to small town gas station closures. I had a serious case of monkey butt and a new appreciation for the really hard core long distance riders that do that ride for 10 days in a row to win the Iron Butt Rally. 

So to answer the question,  my highest mileage T7 day is about 300 miles combined street/dirt. Not because I can't go farther, because I don't want to. 😉

• Like 3

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

26 minutes ago, AZJW said:

Not because I can't go farther, because I don't want to.

With age comes wisdom....

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~