Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Jumping ship to a T7, advice please

Mike Harris

I'm 61 and currently ride a Norden 901.  I have been absent for riding for 32 years and wanted to get into adventure riding hence my Norden purchase.  Long story short I lost my 2 riding companions who were only interested in pavement.  I found a bloke at work who rides a DR650 and his passion is BDR's.  We did ride together on an overnight trip and had a lot of fun together.  I realised that my new friend Sid was interested in riding tarmac as it got him to the off road trails which he thoroughly enjoys and I got to thinking that I have the wrong bike to tag along with him and so my search began and I'm very tempted to sell the Norden and buy a 2024 T700 as the Yamaha is much more off road orientated.

Before I make the decision I wanted to reach out and learn more about the T7 and who better to ask than those that own them?  What do I need to know about the bike, pros and cons for example.  Just looking at pictures I can see it needs a quality bash plate, Barkbusters with hand guards etc.  I'd appreciate any comments on helping me to know what are some of the caveats of the T7 and things to buy/stay away from.

Thanks in advance!

1s.JPG

3s.JPG

Sids.jpg

IMG-5615s.jpg

12s.JPG

• Like 1

I would have put Norden ahead of T7 for road and off-road bike. Not sure about long term reliability on Norden, T7 would win there.

I would say if selling norden then a T7 and say a dual sport would be a nice combo.

Thank you.  I have not completely decided yet and looking at all options.  I do love the seat of the 901 as it is extremely comfortable and the power is amazing but you really do not need so much.  The only time the power is useful is when passing someone on the highway.

I love my T7 but if I had a 901 and my bud was riding a DR I would keep 901 and add a DR to my stable. 

If that's not in the budget the T7 is a good do everything bike. 

Check out 'dork in the road' on you tube. He had both at the same time.

I looked hard at the norden to replace my ktm 990 but in the end I sacrificed power for (fingers crossed) yamaha reliability and simplicity, I don't want a bike full of computers

Yeah I watched Ben's videos and they were very good.  He pretty much summed up my thoughts that if you want more performance off road then you are better off with the Yamaha and if you know you will be doing a lot of highway riding then the Norden is the way to go.  Be nice to be able to ride a T7 before deciding but that's hard to do unless I know someone with one.  My new biking buddy is really into off roading and in that case I think the T7 might have the edge.

I side with @mcbrien to keep the 901 and add a used DR650. It is 100 pounds lighter, no electronic crap, would cost a lot less, and is proven bullet proof.

The T7 is great, but you're no spring chicken.... go for the lighter bike.

PS: I agree, the seat on the 901 looks dreamy...

Edited by Hibobb

We are all tattooed in our cradles with the beliefs of our tribe

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

I don't have experience with the 901, but I moved to the T7 because I don't know of a bike that's more capable both on and off tarmac that doesn't completely break-the-bank. If money's no object (for both purchase price and future servicing), you might look at an 890R to get a little more off-road capability than the 901 without giving up much of anything on the highway.

Tusk crash bars/pannier & top racks/hardcases/footpad/Olympus tank bag, Rox risers, fleabay tail tidy, Delkevic full exhaust w/ 14" carbon oval can

And having had one, the DR650's a great bike and a terrific two-track/fire road machine you can "ride to the ride." It's also accurate to say it's an overweight, underpowered, bloated, old-tech dirt bike and not much fun on super slab. 

Tusk crash bars/pannier & top racks/hardcases/footpad/Olympus tank bag, Rox risers, fleabay tail tidy, Delkevic full exhaust w/ 14" carbon oval can

If you want a bike that won't break down and is ok at basically everything, then the Tenere fits the bill very well. I personally prefer Japanese reliability/dependability over slightly better performing but potentially unreliable Swedish or Austrian bikes. Plus the Tenere is just cool. Ktm's are fugly. 😛

Thank you all for your input. I have been somewhat surprised that many suggest keeping the Norden as I had thought that there would be a lot of "oh for sure the T7 is a better 'dirt bike' "  My other thought is tossing around the idea of upgrading to the Norden Expedition as I must admit I do like some technology as it works in the background making me feel that I am a better rider than I am😁.  I just took a ride to the local Yamaha dealer only to find it was closed on Monday's and I will admit that I totally love the power of the Husqvarna and the seat is wonderful!!

I am certainly in a quandary and there is no rush to make the decision.  What I would like to know is if the 2024 T7 comes with tubeless tires and in the Slate Gray colour.  The Yamaha Canadian website does not mention tires and only shows the blue colour where as the US site shows the two colours.

Very much doubt the t7 will go tubeless next year

As for colour I recently found out vinyl wrap is ace, protective too