Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Discussion - Radiator Braces

vagrant318

16 hours ago, Oxxa said:

You will break the radiator on the first crash

Not that it couldn't happen but I've hit a deer, been crashed into by a quad and dumped my bike more than a few times and didn't break my radiator. 

This happened though, the mount bent and rad popped out of it with no ill effect.. I'm going to get a more robust radiator guard,  already ordered these fairings image.jpg.e99daa9df42609d72631e5af4ceb7160.jpg

• Like 1

I know I have gone bit off topic with rad guard. Would set braces or even a tubular frame (similar to ktm freeride, see pic) work out? I presume issue is the weight of the bike compared to enduro bikes would over power the braces.

I was thinking have the brace/bars the same dimensions as the rad and sit at the front of rad adding extra protection

Rad Brace.jpg

Edited by john_aero
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, john_aero said:

I know I have gone bit off topic with rad guard. Would set braces or even a tubular frame (similar to ktm freeride) work out? I presume issue is the weight of the bike compared to enduro bikes would over power the braces.

I was thinking have the brace/bars the same dimensions as the rad and sit at the front of rad adding extra protection

Rad Brace.jpg

Love the idea. The bike's weight might be an issue, think it would require several mounting points.

Another idea might be some sacrifical cushioning, thinking of some material which absorbs impacts and can be easily (and cheap) replaced. Like this type of rather durable/hard styrofoam: https://www.styrodur.com/portal/basf/en/dt.jsp?setCursor=1_1224439&page=styrodur-3000

1-2" / a few cm of cushioning would definitely spread impact load and raise the chances for the rad to survive a crash. But I'm not sure if there's a gap big enough around the rad to add that stuff. Plus, I don't know how well it can deal with heat.

1 hour ago, Tenerider said:

Love the idea. The bike's weight might be an issue, think it would require several mounting points.

Another idea might be some sacrifical cushioning, thinking of some material which absorbs impacts and can be easily (and cheap) replaced. Like this type of rather durable/hard styrofoam: https://www.styrodur.com/portal/basf/en/dt.jsp?setCursor=1_1224439&page=styrodur-3000

1-2" / a few cm of cushioning would definitely spread impact load and raise the chances for the rad to survive a crash. But I'm not sure if there's a gap big enough around the rad to add that stuff. Plus, I don't know how well it can deal with heat.

From memory there is little or no space. However could add it to the fairings and let it sit gently against the rad.

Mounting points are the issue with my idea.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, vagrant318 said:

Not that it couldn't happen but I've hit a deer, been crashed into by a quad and dumped my bike more than a few times and didn't break my radiator. 

This happened though, the mount bent and rad popped out of it with no ill effect.. I'm going to get a more robust radiator guard,  already ordered these fairings image.jpg.e99daa9df42609d72631e5af4ceb7160.jpg

Not sure what you want to say. I go deeeep into unknown territory and i wont go without crash bars because its a game of probabilities. I need to decrease my chances of getting stuck or else..

As the CamelAvd thread got hijacked (by myself and @Tenerider) I said id open a new on to start discussion around radiator protection.

I personally am not a lover of big crash bars. When @Camel ADV came up with their new unbreakable fairings I looked at my bike and wondered how can I remove my bars and still protect the radiator in a fall.

I know wouldn't be too easy however I like the idea of a tubular frame, sitting in front of the radiator and same width giving some support if the bike lads hard on the side.

I wonder if we removed the radiator mounting bracket and made a new piece to support the tubular frame this would at least have it mounted to the bike.

The additional bracing would be where taught and engineering is needed.

Even using cushioning foam behind fairing as suggested by @Tenerider would help add protection

Ideas:

- Tube brace sits in front rad

- Foam cushioning

- Carbon tube instead of steel

- Wrap Around/Close fitting rad brace made out of some expensive hard to obtain material (bmw owners can help here)

- all new rad with build in protection. Say a rad x2 thickness allowing the side to be build extra strong 

See pic of the ktm freeride tubular bracing

Rad Brace.jpg

brace support.png

Edited by john_aero
  • Thanks 1

Thanks @john_aero for the summary! I'm curious what additional ideas will arise here - when I'm back home I'll definitely do some research in regards of a "soft" load-distribution cushioning. I'll also take some detailed pics of my current crashbars which do protect the rad extremely well. Maybe these can be modified, altered or at least serve as an inspiration for a tube-style protection.

• Like 1

I would like see what idea people have, or even ideas people have tried and did not work.

maybe there is a simple reason why wouldn't work

I hope take delivery of a small milling machine, need get my lathe fixed and will try some of my own ideas too.

• Like 2

While it is still a crashbar and some weight, I like what this guy has come up with. 

His Youtube channel is called FarReach Outfitters.

First I thought it was just that lower part to give some radiator protection, flush with the side panels.

But it actually seems to run up inside the panels as well.  He doesn't sell it and I can immagine it needs some modifications to parts on the bike.

image.png

Edited by OK185
  • Like 2

• Moderators
4 hours ago, Tenerider said:

@AZJW could you perhaps move those radiator-related posts into a new thread? Sorry @Camel ADV for capturing your thread 😅

Done, thx for the heads up. Software isn't user friendly ( at least on my tablet) so some posts got out of order.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

• AZJW changed the title to Discussion - Radiator Braces
35 minutes ago, OK185 said:

While it is still a crashbar and some weight, I like what this guy has come up with. 

His Youtube channel is called FarReach Outfitters.

First I thought it was just that lower part to give some radiator protection, flush with the side panels.

But it actually seems to run up inside the panels as well.  He doesn't sell it and I can immagine it needs some modifications to parts on the bike.

image.png

must look him up as this is kinda what i had in mind

Since this thread is about crashing and damaging your radiator, I hope I'm not too far off topic by asking- has anyone had/heard of the fuel tank being damaged by crashing without crash bars?  I think that may be my bigger concern than the radiator. 

40 minutes ago, DT675 said:

Since this thread is about crashing and damaging your radiator, I hope I'm not too far off topic by asking- has anyone had/heard of the fuel tank being damaged by crashing without crash bars?  I think that may be my bigger concern than the radiator. 

Fuel tank been steel will just dent. Rad is light alu and from experience these alu rads bend and squash easily. I have damaged rads on light enduro bikes on small falls . 

8 minutes ago, Camel ADV said:

We’ve got internal rad braces coming. I was hoping they’d be ready at the same time as the fairings but R&D took longer than planned (as it normally does). It was supposed to be a  simultaneous product launch.

This sounds almost too good to be true! Amazing news!

• Like 1

• Supporting Vendor
10 minutes ago, Tenerider said:

This sounds almost too good to be true! Amazing news!

We’ll be doing final testing in Moab later this month. 

• Like 4

Bits and pieces for your adventure bike. Camel-ADV.com

6 hours ago, Oxxa said:

Not sure what you want to say. I go deeeep into unknown territory and i wont go without crash bars because its a game of probabilities. I need to decrease my chances of getting stuck or else..

Makes sense.  Not break the radiator first crash lol.

2 hours ago, Camel ADV said:

Haha we already know what it looks like when you go testing in Moab 😉

• Haha 3

41 minutes ago, qInvention said:

Haha we already know what it looks like when you go testing in Moab 😉

...and if anything survives this kind of useage (or abuse), it's worth wearing the CamelADV logo.

• Thanks 1

Damn, this will be my next purchase. Rad brace+side panels. Bye bye crashbars. 

CamelADV has to be the most innovative company producing T7 parts at this point. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Camel ADV said:

Any sneak peak pics we can drool over

• Supporting Vendor
6 minutes ago, john_aero said:

Any sneak peak pics we can drool over

No, but I’ll post some torture testing pics and videos from Moab 😉

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Bits and pieces for your adventure bike. Camel-ADV.com

thats just as good

safe riding and look forward to your  results

Edited by john_aero
  • Like 1