Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

T7 Clutch rattle from cold start off

Canzvt

So, this has been talked about a bunch on this forum, and I think I have a simple solution. Hadn't ridden my T7 for awhile (6 weeks) as I was busy and riding other bikes. Took it out today for a fall run. Here's what I did.

Got the bike out of the garage. Put it in first with the ignition off. Pulled in the clutch lever and rolled it down my driveway to the street - 60' or so. Upon the initial push off with the clutch lever in, the bike didn't want to roll. It seemed stuck. Gave it a little nudge, and it 'broke' free and rolled down the drive. I dragged the clutch a bit on the way down, almost enough to turn the engine over. Got to the street, started it up, put on my helmet and drove away like it had been running all day. This is the third time I've done this as I wanted to make sure it work, and sure enough, all three times, no rattle on start off. Success to a problem that really isn't a problem, but annoying.

• Thanks 1

I think I have Yamaha disease...

34 minutes ago, Canzvt said:

So, this has been talked about a bunch on this forum, and I think I have a simple solution. Hadn't ridden my T7 for awhile (6 weeks) as I was busy and riding other bikes. Took it out today for a fall run. Here's what I did.

Got the bike out of the garage. Put it in first with the ignition off. Pulled in the clutch lever and rolled it down my driveway to the street - 60' or so. Upon the initial push off with the clutch lever in, the bike didn't want to roll. It seemed stuck. Gave it a little nudge, and it 'broke' free and rolled down the drive. I dragged the clutch a bit on the way down, almost enough to turn the engine over. Got to the street, started it up, put on my helmet and drove away like it had been running all day. This is the third time I've done this as I wanted to make sure it work, and sure enough, all three times, no rattle on start off. Success to a problem that really isn't a problem, but annoying.

But you are having to repeat that process every time on a cold start? I wouldn't want to have to always do that.. I'm going to try soaking the plates over the winter.

You can also put the bike in first gear, pull the clutch and open the throttle while the bikes stays stationary the friction in the clutch will break the same as the method you described

So your clutch disks are sticking together if it sits?   That is quite strange.  Has it done this since new?

Mine has done this since new, a daily issue. The problem beyond annoyance is when cold the clutch not disengaging smoothly can and has caused me to stall the bike when fully loaded almost dumping. 

On 10/7/2023 at 8:48 PM, vagrant318 said:

But you are having to repeat that process every time on a cold start? I wouldn't want to have to always do that.. I'm going to try soaking the plates over the winter.

Yes, I repeat this process every time it sits for a few days or more. BTW, the 60' is downhill, so really no extra work. Also keeps Momma happy not having my piped T7 rattling off the bedroom window 😉, which means I will likely be able to add to the stable when the time is right...

On 10/8/2023 at 9:20 AM, DT675 said:

So your clutch disks are sticking together if it sits?   That is quite strange.  Has it done this since new?

Done since new. I'm not the only one. 30,000kms on her now, still doing it.

Well, you are in Alberta.... Isn't it always freezing up there?

Maybe you need an engine block heater.

We are all tattooed in our cradles with the beliefs of our tribe

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~